Expectations?

Ambitious

I think this would be a good collective thread to try and gauge expectations and although some people might say well, this is too early - I would argue the contrary, it's actually the perfect time to have a think, about the transfer window, pre-season and the season ahead to try and gauge whether or not this next season will have genuine expectations of promotion, play-offs or mid-table obscurity. 

I would say sitting here at the start of June we're in a very healthy position, we've got room for maneuver with a settled side which will grow in itself and in house already have players that could be 'like' new signings. I look at players like Mason Bennett, Jamie Hanson, Valentin Gjokaj and Michael Jacobs. We also have some players inside the squad that could blossom even more, like Hendrick and Hughes. To summaries before we even kick a ball, we're in a good position - natural growth inside the squad should stand us in good stead!

I think the transfer window is another animal all together, we've started strongly - signed a player who has won POTY in his last year, an experienced keeper with Derby roots and in someways I think this is a very shrewd signing, he has come back to a club he was cast out - had very good years elsewhere and now brought back, personally I think he'll have grit between his teeth to prove himself and right a wrong! Chris Martin has good technical ability, and can offer a service and is competent at this level - raise the roof signing it may not be, but certainly a solid signing which will offer competency and another dimension! I like the idea of having solid options for the players coming in, I think we know where and who we want to strengthen on and will have good targets in mind. I think as for players going, there will always be speculation - we know 7 who've been made available and I see them going in drips and drabs, as for Brayford - I think the sooner (and hopefully he will) he signs a new contract the confidence of next season will rise, and it's good for us to show we're strong enough to keep our best players.

Next season, I think is the hardest to draw a line in the sand in terms of what to expect and what is a realistic target for us to set! we've got to show more, and we've got to do better - some people think top 6 or bust, but is that realistic for us? I have no doubt we could be top 6, when things click into place for this side (and it has been on show a few times) we're unplayable - we've got an abundance of ability, and a manager on the sidelines pulling the strings, getting the best out of players and watching us create chances left, right and centre! but in the end, other teams have stronger finances than us and can offer a greater package than us, can attract players we simply cannot afford - and these teams will always be deemed better! the bookies have us finishing 14th this season (going from the odds) and as much as some people will argue with that assessment, that's what they believe. I genuinely expect us to be stronger, certainly but the key will be consistency and if we have players who can freshen things up with being detrimental to the quality of the side then this is easily achievable - I think it's a case of putting our chances away better, and keeping that work rate up! Away from home, we need to attack it fresh - last seasons gone, and it was poor in terms of results! I don't see any reason why we can't hurt teams away as we do at home, before anyone says anything it's **** all to do with Clough!

I'll say impossible is nothing. 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think last season our squad, although good quality, eventually got shown up in resect of it's lack of "competent" depth. If we can retain our existing squad (minus those earmarked for transfer out) and add to it in a manner we seem to be going I think we look a good strong squad with options, depth, enthusiasm & skill. I always look at the bench to judge the strength of the team.Personally I will be looking for us to be at least top six.

.....................................Grant...........................................

Brayford..............Keogh................New.............Forsyth

..................Bryson..........Hendrick.............Hughes

.................Russell..........Sammon.............Ward

Bench from: Deeney?.....Martin....Coutts....Buxton....Jacobs....Davies....Freeman

it's interesting you mention expectations and the transfer window, and in particular the 'raise the roof' element of a new signing. I genuinely believe it to be nigh-on impossible for Derby to ever make a signing that will 'raise the roof'. I think we all expect too much in terms of who we'd like, and (even myself) we are guilty of finding fault with arrivals. If we signed Aguero, someone would say he's ball-greedy.

As for the season itself, I've got a bizarre feeling. I'm digging out recipes for humble-pie. I think the bar has been raised by Sam Rush and Nigel Clough. I get this feeling that Rush has asked Clough for more, and Clough has called his bluff and said "okay then, back me..". Suddenly the place doesn't feel so amateur and I can feel a sense of professionalism that I haven't felt in a long while.

I have said for a few years that Clough will never succeed. I am now thinking, but without anything more than a gut feeling, I may be eating humble-pie soon. Thankfully, I'm looking forward to it. Those that know me, know I'd rather be wrong and enjoy success, then be right and say 'told you so'.

So I don't actually 'expect' anything, but I've got a feeling that something(s) will click next season. Away form for example.

Expecting a push towas the play offs, afteral Sam Rush said countless times that's the aim.

Anything else would be a added bonus.

Although worries me how thin the side is having loss/losing Roberts, Barker, O'Brien, Tyson, Robinson, Legzdins, Fielding, Bailey...

I would use a lifetime supply of likes on the first three posts of this thread if I could.

In my opinion it's a cracking initial overview of where we stand and what we can hope for.

Then Mostyn, lovely to see that post from you as well. It's clear that what you want most of all is what's best for the club, from reading those few lines.

I'm getting a real buzz already, the 3 lads will come back as Internationals. We'll get another 3 signings, maybe four and pre season can't come soon enough.

I want us to finish in the top six. Do I expect us to? Not at all.

But again, that might be because we're still eight weeks away from kick-off and preparations for the new season are very much in their infancy. Come August 3rd, each team in the division will be an altogether different proposition, including ourselves. It makes it almost too soon to say, in that respect.

I'd love for us to push on and make a sustained bid for promotion. But quite frankly, even though that will most certainly be the aim, it's not a realistic expectation unless we sign two or three top-drawer players in key positions. Even at this point, I'd say there looks to be 8-10 teams better placed for a promotion push than ourselves.

Mid-table is my expectation. Somewhere between 10th and 14th. 13th would be my guess. Last year, I tipped us to finish 16th and we finished 10th. So if that's anything to go by, I may well find myself looking daft but feeling pleasantly surprised again.  :lol:

Looking at this season's top 6, there should be no reason to expect us not to be there next season. Problem is, most teams in the league will be thinking the same.

The obvious one is the away form. I worry that we can't improve that because we don't have the quality of players to retain the ball well enough and to dig in when we need to. At home it's not a problem as we generally are on the offensive. 

But if we can sort the away form somehow then top 6 should be well within our sights.

We've panned a lot of teams at home, and showed a lot of class! 

I think that in itself speaks volumes, a lot of teams (like Forest) managed to get 3 points in the tight games, we never had any tight games that we won - we destroyed certain teams at home, we shouldn't overlook that.

A quote I liked from NC

"You start off the season wanting to win the league, that's what everybody wants, you start off wanting to win the league then as the season unfolds you adjust your targets"

I'm very positive for the season ahead, you can already see were looking to bring in a different type of player this year. Its not about getting bodies into the squad, we've got bodies, we need that extra bit of quality to make the step up. With the right acquisitions I see no reason why we cant finish in the play offs next season. 

61 days and counting.

Top 8 is my expectation. We're more than capable of it and, as others have said, I think something will just click next year. Don't necessarily think we'll get play-offs but, if we do finish 7th or 8th, I hope Nigel gets another season to go that one step better. Anything below 10th will be a massive disappointment for me considering the good position we're in right now.

My team for next year (4-3-3 formation):

Grant, Freeman, Keogh, *New*, Forsyth, Hendrick, Bryson, Hughes, Russell(?), Sammon, Ward

with Deeney, Buxton, Hoganson, Coutts, Davies, Jacobs and Martin on the bench.

That front 6 is play-off quality, no doubt about it.

Edit - I've left Brayford out as worst case scenario. Hey, something's bound to not go our way :p

Grant

Brayford            Keogh                New CB/Buxton/Barker coming into fold          Fosyth 

Hendrick                       Hughes                                       Bryson

Russell                         Sammon                                       Ward

Subs/reserves - Deeney, Freeman, OB, Bennett, Coutts, Martin, Davies, Bennett, Gjokaj, Hanson, Hoganson, Jacobs.

With a few going out on loan e.g Doyle and the deadwood to be flogged, although a few of the "7" will probably stay

I'd be very happy with that squad. Slightly lacking in depth but throw an OC or a Theo into the mix we've got a decent amount of depth with lots of players who can pull a shift in various positions. 433 could work well IMO

TOP 6 

I want us to finish in the top six. Do I expect us to? Not at all.

But again, that might be because we're still eight weeks away from kick-off and preparations for the new season are very much in their infancy. Come August 3rd, each team in the division will be an altogether different proposition, including ourselves. It makes it almost too soon to say, in that respect.

I'd love for us to push on and make a sustained bid for promotion. But quite frankly, even though that will most certainly be the aim, it's not a realistic expectation unless we sign two or three top-drawer players in key positions. Even at this point, I'd say there looks to be 8-10 teams better placed for a promotion push than ourselves.

Mid-table is my expectation. Somewhere between 10th and 14th. 13th would be my guess. Last year, I tipped us to finish 16th and we finished 10th. So if that's anything to go by, I may well find myself looking daft but feeling pleasantly surprised again.  :lol:

This is a confusing sentence as by very definition, top drawer players are 'individuals and guarantee nothing. We've had individuals, what we actually need are good team players. One thing Clough is creating to his credit (if it's by design) is there will NEVER be a reliance on one or two players.

Under Burley, we relied on Raziak and Idiakez, if either of those two were injured or off form, Derby struggled. As it stands now, we are as good with injured players missing as when a full XI.

I expect a competitive team that will finish higher, and with more points, than last season.

I hope for top 6

I dream* of promotion.

*not really.

I love you after all Mostyn, even though those sun glasses don't suit your rather long face. :wub:

He's heard that I've just bought a new boiler and I'll be brewing again soon. Trying to get on my good side.

Expectations,

Mine aren't too high but being a Derby fan as you all know you cannot expect too much with this league being so closely placed last season, I mean if we hadn't of beat Millwall last game we'd of landed 16/17th?

Without being disappointed, I 'expect' us to be in and around where we ended up this season but with more solid away displays.

As said previously there's no reason on the back of this seasons performances at home (as long as we strengthen and don't lose any key players) that we can't challenge the top six.

Signings wise hopefully tie up Forsyth, Russell (or an equivalent striker) and a centre back to sit next to Keogh. With Brayford signing a new deal

Grant

Forsyth

Keogh

New CB

Brayford

Hughes

Bryson

Hendrick

Ward

Sammon

New CF/Martin (rotate until we work out a good mix)

If you look at the games won and goals scored/conceded its fair to say we had the 2nd or 3rd worst away record in the league this season and it's been largely the same story ever since Clough took over.

Lets say the home form stays decent next year (possible but not guaranteed) we still need a massive improvement away from home. In my opinion a few new faces wont be enough to change that. :(

Archived