Expectations?

Ambitious

Although people are gunna look down on this post, 'Bris spouting **** etc', based on everything that's happened at the club in the last few years, this is the most likely scenario. 

People dont want to admit it, but the only real reason as to why people think we'll be challenging near the top, is pure hope. 

People that do genuinely believe we'll be in the top 6, I hope to see a few betting slips where you've put your money where your mouth is, as you must be hoping to make a killing, as the bookies give us about much chance as I do. 

It's only the most likely scenario if people ignore everything positive that has happened in the last few seasons and dismiss the view that anything positive has happened at all. It's only the most likely scenario if people think the club is in the same state it was a few years ago. it's only the most likely scenario if people dismiss last summers work as not moving us forward.

That's why I've got no time for posters like that. Nothing we ever do will be good enough for people like those. They're not looking for positives, they're just looking for little blue icons on their message page. The more they get, the more convinced they become about their self created legend..it doesn't even matter that 80% of those little blue messsages slate them and their views.

When we challenge the top 6 it will be because we fluked it or because it's the worst NPC ever (I don't want to think about starting to ask what kind of football fan calls its the NPC anyway?). The preparation for that excuse is already under way.

If people think we've made no progress in the last few seasons then nothing I or anyone else says will make people change their mind. People will cry all summer about how it's going to be the same again and people will cry all next year no matter where we are in the league. No matter who we've brought in.

Sublime football knowledge or blinded football knowledge conveniently forgetting the hundred times that knowledge was wildy wrong.

My view that we'll challenge the top 6 is not based on hope at all.

If you want I'll throw 100 quid at it and copy the betting slip online but I'm not the type who spends 500$ of a 600$ monthly salary on a bet. 7% of my yearly income going on a bet? That shows where peoples real priorities and sublime expertise lies.

It's not in football it's in gambling. It's not practical it's theoretical.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I'm saying is what is the optimism from Rush based on. I want us to do well but just don't see the basis for massive improvement. Say Grant improves us by 6 less conceded that won't be enough.

that could be 12 more points though if each of those goals was an opposition equaliser!

What I'm saying is what is the optimism from Rush based on. I want us to do well but just don't see the basis for massive improvement. Say Grant improves us by 6 less conceded that won't be enough.

If Grant improved us by 6 goals, we COULD have picked up an extra 10 points in the first 10 games.

+2 - vs Sheff Wed (we drew 2-2)

+2 - vs Wolves (we drew 1-1)

+1 - vs Huddersfield (we lost 1-0)

+1 - vs Burnley (we lost 2-1)

+2 - vs Boro (we drew  2-2)

+2 - vs Brighton (we drew 1-1)

thats in 3 home games and 3 away games.

10 points = Play offs, boom.

Can someone set up a poll on this thread? Wouldn't that be easier?

What we're basically saying is:

Do you think next season we will be:

a) a lot better

b) slightly better

c) about the same

d) slightly worse

e) a lot worse

I expect to be challenging for the top 6 of the table, if this is not anyones expectations then why bother in the first place, Im pretty sure NC and the players expect this to.

This will be the 5th attempt and for me the time for excuses has well and truly expired, I just hope come May the season is still alive.

I expect us to continue to improve, for our youth squad to blossom and our young first teamers to grow in confidence.

I think we'll be knocking on the play offs door this year. We might not make it but we'll be close. There's not much in it from 1st to 12th really. A good year could see us finish in the top 6, a crap one in the bottom 6. It's a fine line in this league.

I expect us to get the fixture list and see that we are playing Forest at home in the dead of winter and there to be a freakishly amount of snow fall exactly on Pride Park about 2 hours befoe kick off and the game to be called off as i am about 20 minutes away.

I expect us to lose a whole bunch of away games where we play really well but don't convert the chances.

i expect us to conceed a lot of sloppy goals.

I expect every striker who plays us and is in form to score.

i expect every striker who plays us and isn't in form to score.

I expect us to beat Forest

i expect us to beat Leeds

i expect us to get win the league by 15 points

that's about it....

oh wait....

i forogt..

i expect us to get knocked out the FA cup in the third round at home against a lower league team.

look the season had not even started stop all this doom and gloom and i have spotted a couple of possabiltys on tranfears thing on here does anyone one now sam rush email to dcfc as i would like to email them to him, so he can tell nigal and see what he thinks.

I'm intrigued to hear your targets.

Tell the whole forum, i'm sure Nigel Clough is a regular poster on here and will read it.

It's only the most likely scenario if people ignore everything positive that has happened in the last few seasons and dismiss the view that anything positive has happened at all. It's only the most likely scenario if people think the club is in the same state it was a few years ago. it's only the most likely scenario if people dismiss last summers work as not moving us forward.

That's why I've got no time for posters like that. Nothing we ever do will be good enough for people like those. They're not looking for positives, they're just looking for little blue icons on their message page. The more they get, the more convinced they become about their self created legend..it doesn't even matter that 80% of those little blue messsages slate them and their views.

When we challenge the top 6 it will be because we fluked it or because it's the worst NPC ever (I don't want to think about starting to ask what kind of football fan calls its the NPC anyway?). The preparation for that excuse is already under way.

If people think we've made no progress in the last few seasons then nothing I or anyone else says will make people change their mind. People will cry all summer about how it's going to be the same again and people will cry all next year no matter where we are in the league. No matter who we've brought in.

Sublime football knowledge or blinded football knowledge conveniently forgetting the hundred times that knowledge was wildy wrong.

My view that we'll challenge the top 6 is not based on hope at all.

If you want I'll throw 100 quid at it and copy the betting slip online but I'm not the type who spends 500$ of a 600$ monthly salary on a bet. 7% of my yearly income going on a bet? That shows where peoples real priorities and sublime expertise lies.

It's not in football it's in gambling. It's not practical it's theoretical.

Of course there have been plenty of positives from the last few seasons, I'm not ignoring them. I'm weighing them against the negatives to find a conclusion with the most likely scenario. There are certain negatives that are too strong, and have too much evidence backing them up, for me, to suggest we'll finish in the top 6 next season. 

The question I'm asking is, what factors are going to be different next season that will mean we will finish in the top 6?

We have to improve on what we achieved last season, so where is this improvement going to come from? As I said, I'd like to see who we bring in as the improvement could come from new players. Young players improving? Very likely, but enough to see us finish top 6? Unlikely.

Of course there have been plenty of positives from the last few seasons, I'm not ignoring them. I'm weighing them against the negatives to find a conclusion with the most likely scenario. There are certain negatives that are too strong, and have too much evidence backing them up, for me, to suggest we'll finish in the top 6 next season. 

The question I'm asking is, what factors are going to be different next season that will mean we will finish in the top 6?

We have to improve on what we achieved last season, so where is this improvement going to come from? As I said, I'd like to see who we bring in as the improvement could come from new players. Young players improving? Very likely, but enough to see us finish top 6? Unlikely.

You're not "people like that" East Kent, you might not be the happiest fan I've ever met but you don't try to wind up 80% of the forum every time you post.

I think it's going to be a mixture of everything. I'm expecting the players coming in to be at least better than we've got already but I'm also expceting us to learn from our mistakes last year. I'm expecting Jeff and Will will step up again, or at least won't dip. I'm expecting competition for places up front and I'm expecting when you add all of that to what we already had last season, that will be enough. We out footballed a lot of sides last year at home. Now we just need to learn to draw a few more away games, nick the odd one against the bottom 6 and we'll be there.

shhh i want to see the realistic targets.

There are plenty whose idea of a realistic target is one painted on Clough's back

Archived