Can we improve with 4 more signings

Curtains

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was a great player for Spurs. Already had broke his leg twice when he sorted us out. Dave was one of our best.

Booo, sicknote.

I dare you to call him that Eddie. He would have played for us on one leg LOL

Not for nothing was he nicknamed "Iron Man"

With the young talent we have right now we could do wonders next season with four quality sigings. And with quality I don't mean stars like Messi. A couple of good experienced lads who have been playing in Britain for years, a find from abroad (like Baiano) and a hungry relatively young player who is not good enough to play a lot in Premier but will get there after a season or two with big role in our squad.

Wouldn't be too expensive transfer or wagebill wise.

I don't care if they're experienced, I don't care if they cost money, I don't care if their name "raises the roof", I don't care where they're from. I just want the new players to be an improvement on what we have and in areas we need them. With all due respect to Grant, Martin and possible Forsyth, they're not really improvements on what we have. I hope the other three signings are.

Vaughan is no better than Hendrick and Bryson IMO, not even first choice in a poor Sunderland side. Had a couple of good seasons at Blackpool but as I say... not better than what we have. If we managed to sign him, would that mean trying to shoe-horn FOUR central midfielders in? I think Hendrick's extra year of experience gained this season negates the need to replace him with an experienced player.

As for Baptiste, seriously, he's really no better technically than Claude Davis was, albeit a lot more composed. Rarely controls his headers and cannot jump as well as he should. CATHCART is the one from Blackpool we should be going for.

None of the players linked with us are more than the slightest fraction better than what we have already, so there won't be much difference.

We need to sign someone's STAR player from the lower leagues. We need this season's Charlie Austin or Jordan Rhodes.

Agree with your point about Hendrick

Assuming that all three are still here I would be very happy with Hendrick and Hughes as starters, and Bryson on the bench, replacing either one of the youngsters in the starting line-up when they need a rest. I reckon that would give us about the best central midfield in the division, when you take into account the extra year's experience that all three have had.

The one thing I hope that Nigel does, is realise that playing all three does not work (unless he goes 352, when it might). Bryson is a very good player, but not quite as good as the other two, therefore, he should give way.

For what it's worth I really hope we don't sign Vaughan. He's good when fit, but likely to be expensive in terms of wages. When you consider his and our injury records you would have to expect that he will be lucky to play fifteen games a season. With our apparent finances he just seems far too big a gamble.

IMHO we should avoid players with poor injury records and strikers with poor goal scoring ratios. If you look at the most successful strikers in this division, the overwhelming majority scored bucket loads in League 1. That's where we should be looking -  Madden or Grigg.

I don't care if they're experienced, I don't care if they cost money, I don't care if their name "raises the roof", I don't care where they're from. I just want the new players to be an improvement on what we have and in areas we need them. With all due respect to Grant, Martin and possible Forsyth, they're not really improvements on what we have. I hope the other three signings are.

I dont believe it's possible to judge those three signings as no better than what we've got.

I think Grant is better than Legzdins and Fielding. I think that Martin is better than Tyson and Theo and i think Forsyth is better than Roberts.

Do you really think otherwise Wilko?

Ah but Signing Grant who is slightly better than Fielding and Ledsgy improves the first xi slightly, but decreases the squad considerably, ditto Martin for Theo and Tyson.

Smoke and mirrors.

Ah but Signing Grant who is slightly better than Fielding and Ledsgy improves the first xi slightly, but decreases the squad considerably, ditto Martin for Theo and Tyson.

Smoke and mirrors.

But some will say that we've got too many keepers, and we're undeniably in the market for another striker to balance the two outs.

Has anyone (including our oh-so wise management team) considered the possibility that one or both of the two goalkeepers we've now decided are useless might not be able to find another club on similar wages (especially as we've advertised to everyone that they're not good enough for this level), or they might just decide screw it I'll have a paid year off courtesy of DCFC, in which case we'll have improved the goalkeeping slightly but will be paying 3 times as much?

Has anyone (including our oh-so wise management team) considered the possibility that one or both of the two goalkeepers we've now decided are useless might not be able to find another club on similar wages (especially as we've advertised to everyone that they're not good enough for this level), or they might just decide screw it I'll have a paid year off courtesy of DCFC, in which case we'll have improved the goalkeeping slightly but will be paying 3 times as much?

Not pick on you specifically curb, but this post is symptomatic of the debate on the Rams recently.

We sign a player the manager thinks is better than what we've got; decisive action to address what I'm sure most of us agree with hindsight was a problem position this season. How much credit have they had? Little. Yet every concievable angle to criticise is attacked by someone. You ask about the wisdom of signing without getting shot of the previous goalies first, yet someone else would be having a pop about lack of ambition if they hadn't (still are as it goes).

They can't win can they? Roll on August. 

Experienced Championship players mean to me not quite good enough for Premiership, solid players at the level might push for a play-off place but won't be outstanding. They will also be on the higher end of the wage budget. Also they probably have not experienced a promotion to the Prem,

Talent and ability over experience every day of the week for me.

Not pick on you specifically curb, but this post is symptomatic of the debate on the Rams recently.

We sign a player the manager thinks is better than what we've got; decisive action to address what I'm sure most of us agree with hindsight was a problem position this season. How much credit have they had? Little. Yet every concievable angle to criticise is attacked by someone. You ask about the wisdom of signing without getting shot of the previous goalies first, yet someone else would be having a pop about lack of ambition if they hadn't (still are as it goes).

They can't win can they? Roll on August.

Quite a valid criticism given the amount of players we've had in limbo in recent times, don't you think?

Maybe, but there's got to be an element of a gamble in any signing. Wait until you've off-loaded Frankie, and Grant might have signed elsewhere. If Clough has done anything he's certainly pared back the squad to minimise the players "in limbo". Was it 46 (most in division) we used in his first season? 26 (least in the division) this season. Can we not cut him some slack on the squad numbers management front?

Archived