Can we improve with 4 more signings

Curtains

How far do we go though? We've cut and chopped so much we won't be able to put a side out if it carries on much longer.

So what happens if Grant gets injured in the first game? We've exchanged two average players for one slightly less average player with no back up.

Does anyone really expect us to get anything for Tyson or Theo now when everyone knows they're never going to play for us again?

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How far do we go though? We've cut and chopped so much we won't be able to put a side out if it carries on much longer.

So what happens if Grant gets injured in the first game? We've exchanged two average players for one slightly less average player with no back up.

Does anyone really expect us to get anything for Tyson or Theo now when everyone knows they're never going to play for us again?

Aye but before you were criticising him for potentially being left with Fielding and Lego, now you're saying we'll not have cover and the squad is too small. Which criticism are you plumping for?

Needles has a point, with some people Nigel just cannot win, the club cannot win, Derby cannot win (away)

Did Lee Grant play in the Premiership for a short while with Burnley? If so that's top level experience even though they went down. I think Chris Martin can technically class himself like Sammon as a player with Premiership experience, it all helps to improve a young team that's pushing for promotion.

Did Lee Grant play in the Premiership for a short while with Burnley? If so that's top level experience even though they went down. I think Chris Martin can technically class himself like Sammon as a player with Premiership experience, it all helps to improve a young team that's pushing for promotion.

Grant has never played in the premiership, but has been there a done that in this league. Very experienced!

Grant has never played in the premiership, but has been there a done that in this league. Very experienced!

Ah must have came in the summer they went down then. I agree, he's very experience. Been there, done it and has numerous player of the year awards. A fantastic signing by Clough, one that will finally solve the goalkeeping number one conundrum.

Agree with your point about Hendrick

Assuming that all three are still here I would be very happy with Hendrick and Hughes as starters, and Bryson on the bench, replacing either one of the youngsters in the starting line-up when they need a rest. I reckon that would give us about the best central midfield in the division, when you take into account the extra year's experience that all three have had.

The one thing I hope that Nigel does, is realise that playing all three does not work (unless he goes 352, when it might). Bryson is a very good player, but not quite as good as the other two, therefore, he should give way.

For what it's worth I really hope we don't sign Vaughan. He's good when fit, but likely to be expensive in terms of wages. When you consider his and our injury records you would have to expect that he will be lucky to play fifteen games a season. With our apparent finances he just seems far too big a gamble.

IMHO we should avoid players with poor injury records and strikers with poor goal scoring ratios. If you look at the most successful strikers in this division, the overwhelming majority scored bucket loads in League 1. That's where we should be looking -  Madden or Grigg.

Seems to me that Nigel sees Bryson as an integral part of the starting line up.Re your penultimate paragraph,it might be that finances actually dictate that we have to take gambles.

Anyway,in answer to the thread,four more and I'll be legless :D

Seems to me that Nigel sees Bryson as an integral part of the starting line up.Re your penultimate paragraph,it might be that finances actually dictate that we have to take gambles.

Anyway,in answer to the thread,four more and I'll be legless :D

I'm not sure that I follow the logic re Vaughan.

He certainly won't be cheap. He's a Premier League player with more than a year left on his contract. At least one other club is competing for his signature, meaning he probably wouldn't accept a low salary. It seems to me that he's likely to be an expensive option which, if he does get injured, could potentially see our best paid player watching a lot of games from the stands.

I'm all for cheap gambles from the lower leagues and obscure overseas locations, but not expensive ones who are likely to end up being a financial millstone.

So we are still bottom half budget club then. Never prepared to gamble on someone like Vaughan. Play off final worth 80 million pounds to Watford or Palace that's why you need to gamble a little bit or just stagnate.

PS. Forgive me but Vaughan is a striker as opposed to Hendrick who is a midfielder.

I don't see signing Vaughan as ambitious, I see it as incredibly stupid.

Vaughan's injury record is horrific. IMO all he would do is drain valuable resources.

There are also virtually no examples of strikers dropping down from the PL and really cutting it in the Championship. However, Rhodes, Mackail-Smith, Murray, Lambert, Austin, Holt and Hooper all moved up from League 1.

If we're going to gamble it should be with a Grigg, Madden or even Tom Pope. None will be dirt cheap and they may even fail, but at least they are likely to be available for most games and if things work out any of them just might become very big stars.

I'd also be very happy if we actually shelled out for Charlie Austin. OK so we'd be really gambling, but the added attendance, added merchandise sales, better chance of promotion and resale value should mitigate the gamble somewhat. I just don't see those sort of positives in signing an expensive failed PL crock.

If Vaughan does sign then, of course, he'll get my support. However, I'm convinced that we can do better.

Has anyone (including our oh-so wise management team) considered the possibility that one or both of the two goalkeepers we've now decided are useless might not be able to find another club on similar wages (especially as we've advertised to everyone that they're not good enough for this level), or they might just decide screw it I'll have a paid year off courtesy of DCFC, in which case we'll have improved the goalkeeping slightly but will be paying 3 times as much?

So you think we should sell players first before bringing new players in?

What would you think if we sold our two keepers and then failed to get another decent keeper in?

I seem to remember the criticism was the other way round last year when we sold Shackell first and some were calling Keogh a desparation signing.

I thought Fielding was the answer to our keeper problem. You know the guy we had on loan, who got in the England squad. Now I'm supposed to say he's rubbish and Grant, who we let go on a free 6 years ago, is far better and an improvement? I'm not saying Grant isn't a good keeper but this is the same story every time. We sign someone like Fielding and lord him up as a great signing, as soon as Nigel wants rid we all start saying how he wasn't really that good anyway and the new guy is much better.

Martin is no better than Sammon, which is saying a lot. Playing them together makes us slow and predictable up top so I don't see how it's an improvement to have them both here, I see them competing for the same spot. And don't tell me it's for strength and depth in the squad because we don't like strength and depth, we loan out any depth we have.

So no, I really don't see the signings so far turning us into a better side. But here's hoping the rest do.

I'm not saying Grant isn't a good keeper but this is the same story every time. We sign someone like Fielding and lord him up as a great signing, as soon as Nigel wants rid we all start saying how he wasn't really that good anyway and the new guy is much better.

So true. Shackell became **** overnight. The same with Theo, Bailey, Legzdins, Cywka e.t.c. 

Sammon will be teared to pieces by everyone as soon as Clough decides to get rid this ****.

So true. Shackell became **** overnight. The same with Theo, Bailey, Legzdins, Cywka e.t.c.

Sammon will be teared to pieces by everyone as soon as Clough decides to get rid this ****.

....and bywater, and addison.....ooh and maguire and commons.......

.....and by the same token, as soon as NC is linked with a player, suddenly some have decided that they too independently came to the same conclusion that this is the player we need.............only to never mention them again if we don't actually sign them....

Eustace, waghorn, luke moore, ........billy jones.......... vaughan? baptiste?

Curtains, it is what it is. Grant is now our No1 and I have no issue with Grants ability. I'm not going to start thinking its an improvement though. For me it's neither a step forward or a step back.

I'm also concerned about the other 4 signings and I hope we get players in who are different to what we have

Shackell is commonly regarded as a good player by most fans, we liked him and we wish we could have paired Shackell and Keogh. He went for either financial or squad discipline/morale reasons, or a combination of the two.

Theo has had nowt but abuse since he got here, and now yo're claiming he was some demi-god until that idiot Clough got rid of him (and he never got a game after asking for a move).

Bailey we all liked, but most accept now that he wouldn't get a game ahead of Hughes, Hendrick, and Bryson - CLough has said he would have kept him as a squad player but it wouldn't be fair on Bails, plus he might as well re-invest the wage elsewhere.

WIth Legzdins it was all NLN and another Burton signing moan, grumble, until we found he could actually play a bit - but not consistently enough to claim the shirt as his own.

Cywka was a player most liked and a majority disliked the way he was bombed out. In view of his less than stellar career at Barnsley since, maybe Clough was right?

SO where does this idea come from that we are fickle in our view of players, or follow blindly whatever the message is from PPS? 

Weak argument with no substance.

We support our players while they've got a Ram on the chest, or are supposed to - and whatever **** was, it's no way to refer to a Derby player who manifestly does his best.

....and bywater, and addison.....ooh and maguire and commons.......

Bywater's a psycho and didn;t fit the squad ethos. Addison lost his mobility after the injury, Maguire wouldn't fit to the team plan, and we all loved Commons, we all wanetd him to stay, we offered him massive money by CHamp standards, but couldn't compete with Celtic. Where on earth is the gripe?

I thought Fielding was the answer to our keeper problem. You know the guy we had on loan, who got in the England squad. Now I'm supposed to say he's rubbish and Grant, who we let go on a free 6 years ago, is far better and an improvement? I'm not saying Grant isn't a good keeper but this is the same story every time. We sign someone like Fielding and lord him up as a great signing, as soon as Nigel wants rid we all start saying how he wasn't really that good anyway and the new guy is much better.

Martin is no better than Sammon, which is saying a lot. Playing them together makes us slow and predictable up top so I don't see how it's an improvement to have them both here, I see them competing for the same spot. And don't tell me it's for strength and depth in the squad because we don't like strength and depth, we loan out any depth we have.

So no, I really don't see the signings so far turning us into a better side. But here's hoping the rest do.

It's emotional extremes for the last 4 posts or so. All I'm reading there is that as soon as we let someone go everyone says they're ****, it's not true.

Fielding WAS the answer to our goalkeeping problems. The goalkeeping problems we had when we signed him are different to the goalkeeping 'problems" we have now. Now we're looking for someone better than Frank, what's the issue exactly?

Frank played 16 games this season you say? How many mistake can you count? I'd say at least 4. I love Frank and have been pretty vocal about his character but if he's making too many mistakes, he's making too many mistakes. Doesn't mean I hate him or think he's crap.

Let me turn it around as well, because I really don't get it. If there is a better player available would you prefer our manager stubbornly sticks with those who he's signed, even if they're not good enough to get us top 6. Even though some of you are saying he should be fired if he doesn't make us top 6.

He should keep Frank and Adam and Tomasz and Chris and Miles and James and get the sack?

I've seen so many posts on here, some of them from you guys above this post, saying we need to sign better if we're to improve.

Now that we're trying to sign better, it's a bad thing why?

No one is saying Frank, or bailey, or theo is garbage or Cywka or Commons, just that we need to look for better, how are we supposed to look for better if we don't sign different players?

Also, Martin doesn't have to better than Sammon to improve on what we've got, he has to better than theo or nathan. He is.

Waghorn, Vaughan, Baptiste are all still potential targets Ramnut, Eustace is a bit old now but might have done a job when we should have signed him, Again I don't get the criticism.

Needles, I'm not trying to speak for either of the two you quoted but I think it's more aimed at those who talked up the ability of the likes of Theo, etc in the face of the criticism only to then say "oh yes he was rubbish" when he's then frozen out and replaced. It's like if Sammon then gets frozen out next season and sold. You could say the same, that he got nothing but abuse whilst here, however there are those who claim he's a good signing etc who would then be saying "oh he wasn't very good" or "didn't kick on", "Nigel didn't see an improvement", etc.

Now if those players were replaced by better players who improved us you could understand an argument of "he was ok but we've replaced him in order to move forward" but when you look at the 8 players we signed last season how many improved us?

Archived