What area needs strengthening the most?

DCFCfranco

It's an interesting argument.

Our goalkeepers aren't great I don't think either are good enough for a top 6 side. But they're not terrible.

Defence is a big 'un we've conceded a lot this year and there have been times where the defence has cost us e.g Sheffield Wednesday home and away.

Midfield I think is our strongest area however I don't think coutts is good enough for top 6 if possible we should look to strengthen there.

And another weak area. Strikers. Ipswich at home is a prime example of us being weak up front even millwall our strikers weren't that great a threat. But we have scored a fair few goals this season.

So what should be our main area to strengthen in the summer? For me it at the back. Hull and Cardiff are a prime example that a strong organised defence can bring success. If we tighten up at the back and continue to score like we have this season then next year top 6 should be guaranteed.

Obviously we do need to strengthen up front because our strikers are *****. But if the whole squad scores we should be alright.

Just my thoughts.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At this moment, LB - and then centre half because we're short of numbers.

Strikers need a shake up, and I'm sick of seeing us try to shoe-horn Bryson, Hendrick and Hughes into a 4 man midfield, so for me another winger.

Goalie I wouldn't have been too concerned about, but if you can improve anywhere, do it.

Striking department. 

Then either away tactics/Centre mid. Over-run in far too many games on the road by average midfields like ourselves, whether thats due to personnel or tactics is another argument. Would abit of experience go amiss in there? We seem to do ok at home with Hendrick/Bryson/Hughes but they're pretty pants away from Pride Park. 

We need to do something about the goals we concede. I don't remember so many really soft goals in a season under Nigel. Set pieces have caused us havoc. Ok, we're a short side but that's no excuse for the terrible marking. Too many bad decision. From all of them. The CB's have made decisions at times that I re-watch on RamsPlayer and I can't for the life of me figure out their thought process.

I guarantee if Hansen was pointing out some of these errors on MOTD then it might not be Keogh scooping POTY. I like him, Bucko and Brayford but they have shipped some awfully soft goals. Fielding has done a bit too. Needs to get the glue off his boots.

Midfield... The players are fine. Hughes at LM? Coutts at RM, Bryson at LM. Has Hendrick played wide? They can't all play the flat 442. Need to find a formation that fits them better so we can start our best players or we need to go out and find players who trade in the wide areas with more natural ease.

Up top. Sammon hasn't been as bad as some make out but that ball needs to stick more often. And how many white shirts invade the penalty area? Not enough away from home at least. Sammon also seems to lack that 'right place, right time' instinct. Ward is a mixed bag of genius, injured or too greedy. I think most people see the need to have more options here. Nigel clearly wants 4 to choose from. 4 that don't include squad fillers. I agree with him.

Most the team needs work. Hence why we're average. I wouldn't dream of saying its all (insert name) fault. It's a mixture of bad decisions at the back, un reliability upfront and that occasional awkwardness in midfield.

I would like to see that midfield work on 4231 or some such. I know I keep going on but we don't have the players for the 442 style of stretching teams and getting crosses in to advancing players. My opinion like. I think Nigel chooses 442 because its basic discipline. We all know the mechanics. Plus fans sing stupid chants when he tries something else.

The midfield requires the least attention obviously. The discovery of Hughes has inspired the way others play. Saved us a few quid. But essentially the whole lot needs work.

1. Whole right side

2. Left back.

3. Where ever we can have better than we got. (Shouldn't be that hard...)

What I've seen, we are missing balance. We've been missing it... erm... for a while now. Most of our attacks comes form Coutts-Brayford-pair or down the middle. Nothing wrong with that and Brayford's surging runs are very entertaining to watch. But the problem is defence. We are defending with three too much. Okay, Juventus does it all the time, but their defence aren't immobile. Keogh, Bucko, Roberts, O'brien... ffs, that's just suicide. We really shouldn't play this way... So replace Brayford with solid fullback and some of our defensive problems are gone, Freeman looked good enough but I haven't seen him enough. Like someone said, Brayford is luxury we can not afford and it's easier to replace one (who's conract situation is what it is) than three others.

That leads us to next dilemma. Coutts is pretty much useless without Brayford, but he's done well in centre. Keep him there as a squad player. Replace Coutts with winger, not with another right midfieldet but proper winger. If/when we play with 3 central midfielders (like IMO we should), we should have attacking winger.

Hopefully we sign Forsyth and hopefully new rb ain't midget so we could defend those ******* set pieces better.

And there you go, much more balanced team quite easily. I agree with Clough who said our both ends are problem.This would be my solution, I'm waiting curiously what will happen.

And I forgot one.

If we play with wingers, we should have new striker too. Vaughan would do for me.

If you watch the highlights of Huddersfield v Barnsley then Vaughan had a great chance -

& 'didnt look like a natural goalscorer'

Forsyth at left back has improved our defending of free kicks and corners. Our other main defensive problem is we don't have a cm who will sit in front of the cb's. Either one of them gets that discipline or we have to buy someone. That could lead to 451, especially away from home. That would mean Ward on one flank and a new winger on the other. Coutts is fine on the right of four, but not on the right of five.

Personally, I think the key area is to start at the back, then move forward from there.

Firstly we need a new leftback, if we can land Forsyth, he'd be a good addition.

Secondly, we need another experienced centrehalf. Barker isn't going to come back for a while still, and we need to kick off next season with some momentum as well as have options as we go. If we can have Keogh and a solid partner, we'll have a solid base there...

...so long as we don't sell Brayford. Ideally we have to keep hold of Ward, Brayford, Bryson and Hendrick, but at this time I'm not sure how realistic that is. Resigning Brayford this off season could be the signing of the summer though.

Past that we could use an option or two up front, but it's not the major issue. Martin and another could be a good option, but that second striker signing would surely be a decent money signing. If we manage to sort the defence first though, I'd be happy to see a couple of strikers sign.

Then there's the right side of midfield. I like Coutts, but we really need more options there. Hopefully there is some movement this summer.

If the rumours of signing Grant are true, maybe that'll add a bit more stability there, but I'm not convinced that the keepers are the problem, but it may be a case of strengthening when it becomes available in this case.

So basically:

1. Leftback - Forsyth?

2. Centrehalf

3. Resigning Brayford, Bryson etc.

4. Striker

5. Right of midfield

6. Goalkeeper?

So basically:

1. Leftback - Forsyth?

2. Centrehalf

3. Resigning Brayford, Bryson etc.

4. Striker

5. Right of midfield

6. Goalkeeper?

Wow don't ask for much do you lol Is that in order of priority of you want all 6 points for next season

Gk-looks like grant and I'll be happy as he should have a lot more experience since he was last here.

Cb-i will be happy with the baptiste/Keogh partnership rumour that is constantly being on display.

Lb-forsyth is reliable and can put a few good crosses in but nowhere near good enough for our push up the table IMO.

Rm-i think we need pace down this side as I see pace being very destructive

St-ofcouse a goal scorer but their expensive.

If Brayford is sold, then I think we need a whole new back four. Whilst Keogh is a warrior, he's not too brilliant at defending.

If you can stop the opposition scoring, then you cannot lose.

Hull have just proven where a sturdy defence will get you.

Even if we bought new defenders, it would then require a more positive mindset to prevent the opposition flooding forward and breaking us down.

I don't think we need worry too much about attack. We need better tactics and the rest will sort itself out.

Forsyth at left back has improved our defending of free kicks and corners. Our other main defensive problem is we don't have a cm who will sit in front of the cb's. Either one of them gets that discipline or we have to buy someone. That could lead to 451, especially away from home. That would mean Ward on one flank and a new winger on the other. Coutts is fine on the right of four, but not on the right of five.

whats eustace up too?

Defence, pure and simple.

Laugh if you like - I cast many envious glances at Millwall on Saturday for one player alone - Danny Shittu.

He reminded me totally of Big Dave in our promotion season under BD. Sometimes there's a time and a place for pretty football - and on other occasions there's Row Q.

If Brayford is sold, then I think we need a whole new back four. Whilst Keogh is a warrior, he's not too brilliant at defending.

If you can stop the opposition scoring, then you cannot lose.

Hull have just proven where a sturdy defence will get you.

Even if we bought new defenders, it would then require a more positive mindset to prevent the opposition flooding forward and breaking us down.

I don't think we need worry too much about attack. We need better tactics and the rest will sort itself out.

I agree (almost) totally. I'm not sure about the 'tactics' bit because I gave up playing Football Manager after Ssausagehorpe United won 3 successive Champions Leagues, but let's agree to differ there.

A side needs a spine - and there are two absolutely key areas of that spine - your goalkeeper and the guy who makes the goalkeeper's life easier for him - the centre half. We desperately need someone who can dominate in the air at the back - and of course it's stating the obvious that we need to cut out a lot of the crosses during open play too - but it's set plays where we have looked so fragile this season.

Perhaps it's selective memory, but it seemed to me this season that the opposition invariably posed more of a threat from corners than we did, especially away from home.   

Archived