What area needs strengthening the most?

DCFCfranco

I think a major priority will be the manager rotating the squad we do have. Bennett should've played more games. Ben Davies should've been used to allow Coutts some respite.

All in all, is it worth strengthening the squad if the manager is hell bent on selecting 3 central midfielders, Sammon and Coutts in EVERY game?

Suppose it must be if EVERY means each.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want someone else who can cross the ball please... It's downright odd that when we've been playing 2 big lads up top we haven't played Bavies...

Think Forsyth will provide crosses from the left (overlapping Ward or ball played back) but would like someone with Bavies-level crossing ability for the right

We need to improve the platform from the back, we are too easy a target for balls into the box, set pieces and extended periods of pressure. So for me the No.1 priority is tightening up the defense and a defensive midfielder to sit and allow the likes of Hendrick and Hughes to express themselves. A new keeper wouldn't be my priority but I can see the reasoning, Fielding and Lego have both made errors this season and I think their shot-stopping ability masks other flaws in their game.

LB - I think Forsyth is as good as signed, Hoganson as back-up - don't think we'll be too badly off as Fortsyth seems solid enough, gets forward and decent in the air.

CB - an absolute must, I'd even be happy signing two, but certainly one more to be consistent partner for Keogh. Bucko we all love and has improved no end but a new centre half should be an improvement on him, otherwise what's the point. I feel like we need to sign someone who's good in the air and has good positional sense but the rumours point to Baptiste, who's a different proposition so we'll see. Him and Keogh would be solid but I don't know whether they'd be effective enough against set pieces and aerial bombardment. Time will tell.

CM - an old head who can lead the way in difficult situations. Hendrick and Hughes should be great next season but I think it would be good to have an experience player to bolster their youthful exuberance and manage games at important times. I don't know who this is to be honest but a solid experience pro, who's been around the block and can give the younger players a bit of confidence when needed. I don't think we need a brute in there, just someone who can break up play and play a simple ball to Hughes, Hendrick or out wide.

Wing - I say wing because I think here's where we can mix things up a bit, Jacobs, Ward and Coutts can all play out wide but I'd like to see something different on either/both sides that gives us a bit of variety. A bit of extra pace, trickery etc. to be played when we're on form, or when we need a game changing up. Burke has been touted, he'd be a good addition (if we can actually get men in the box). Someone who could switch wings and play a little free would be a good option for me.

Striker - We need a different kind of striker too, Sammon and Martin hold the ball up well and I think there are more goals in Martin if he gets himself fit. I'd prefer to see Ward playing up front all the time (when fit) as I think he's very wasteful on the wing and I'd prefer to see him in and around the box, rather than trying to take on the entire team from the half way line. So that leads me to a proper striker who gets himself in the box and can get on the end of things. These are hard to find. Vaughn has been mentioned and I think he may do a good job, due to the number of chances we create.

I don't think we're short on goals but if Ward plays 30 games and gets 15 goals I think we need another striker who can match that. It would relieve some pressure off Ward and allow us to leave him out before his hamstrings pop, rather than having him our for months after they have!

The other main thing for me is keeping everyone bar the obvious outgoing players (Tyson, Robinson, Deeney etc). If we only lose one player from Hughes, Bryson, Brayford, Hendrick I think we can cope and still improve, the one I'd let go would be Bryson, who I do like but I don't think fits in with where we need to go and without changing the formation I can't see him competing with a fit Hughes/Hendrick pairing if we get an old head to come in too.

The all-too-regular statement that 'this is the worst Championship ever' is hardly ever worth debating because it is totally subjective.

Championship (and lower) teams regularly do well in cup competitions (this season being no exception), one of last season's premier league sides was relegated again this season, a second was very close to relegation, the third failed to make the playoffs after being tipped to 'run away with it' , the much-vaunted QPR team lauded by one poster in particular as being vastly superior to any of this year's promoted sides has been condemned by their own manager as being a side that will "...struggle in a very competitive Championship next season", two of last season's promoted league 1 sides only managed to hang on by their fingertips on the last day of the season and so on.

It's as daft as saying that it's a good Premier League because the top 4 are always strong.

TobyWanKenobi

I think we should look at getting rid of some of the fans and replacing them with a higher quality of supporter. Ones that support the team and manager.

I think we should look at getting rid of some of the fans and replacing them with a higher quality of supporter. Ones that support the team and manager.

Something something A52 something something  :lol:

The all-too-regular statement that 'this is the worst Championship ever' is hardly ever worth debating because it is totally subjective.

This is the best Championship ever, Sean Dyche said it the other day so it must be true

Championship (and lower) teams regularly do well in cup competitions (this season being no exception), one of last season's premier league sides was relegated again this season, a second was very close to relegation, the third failed to make the playoffs after being tipped to 'run away with it' , the much-vaunted QPR team lauded by one poster in particular as being vastly superior to any of this year's promoted sides has been condemned by their own manager as being a side that will "...struggle in a very competitive Championship next season", two of last season's promoted league 1 sides only managed to hang on by their fingertips on the last day of the season and so on.

It's as daft as saying that it's a good Premier League because the top 4 are always strong.

This is the best Championship ever, Sean Dyche said it the other day so it must be true

Quite conflicting opinions are that this is the best most competitive championship ever, albeit the very top end has been the worst in terms of no real 'romper', but at the same time, I think this was our best chance to do well, so far...

The relegated three Premier League sides didn't do much.

It's been the most even Championship I think that is fair to say, nothing to choose between a host of mid-table clubs ourselves included

The question has always been is that due to levelling up or levelling down. I tend to think that a league is only as strong as its weakest club. Others will look towards the strongest club as a measure - but in many of the top leagues in Europe (England's Premier League is a classic example of this) you have leagues within leagues, and clubs seldom move outside their bracket.

Archived