Di Canio new Sunderland Manager

Curtains

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awful appointment, an absolute **** and I genuinely pray Sunderland don't have any jewish players because the guy is made of the same stuff as Hitler - I wouldn't want to play under him, an awful appointment indeed.

I respect David Miliband whole heartedly for leaving his role!

this is the one i'm on about.

Bris don't get me started on whether de canio is a better manager than clough. He is not proven. lets wait and see how he goes on at sunderland. then we can judge him.

He's not proven at PL level..

But neither was Alex Ferguson before he joined Man Utd..

Brush it up anyway you want, 57% win record for a  L2 and then L1 side is a very good record given the competition..

He's not proven at PL level..

But neither was Alex Ferguson before he joined Man Utd..

Brush it up anyway you want, 57% win record for a  L2 and then L1 side is a very good record given the competition..

Alex Ferguson won the Scottish League title with Aberdeen and beat Real Madrid in a Cup Winner's Cup final.

Alex Ferguson won the Scottish League title with Aberdeen and beat Real Madrid in a Cup Winner's Cup final.

Yes, but he had never managed in the PL..

You can only judge a manager by his winning percentages against the opposition and the budgets of those around him..  Ferguson took over an Aberdeen side that finished 2nd in the SPL, and were a top SPL club at the the time fighting for titles..

He exceeded and got his big move.. Whilst Di Canio didn't start out at a top club, he still exceeded by winning L2 in his first season and being in the top 6 for the majority of the 2nd until he left..

He clearly has proven himself to be a manager good enough for the NPC or at least a crack at the PL to see if he has got it.. Obviously his name and world reputation has helped him but he clearly has a winning mentality and the stats speak for themselves..

Any manager with a 50% plus win percentage in an even and competitive league is going to get the headlines.. It was no different to the likes of Moyes getting the Everton job or Martinez getting the Wigan job.

He has proven nothing, swindon spent well above their means and then he sacked as soon as the realism hit and cut backs had to be made, surely graham westley should be rated higher for his job at Stevenage where he was working on a shoe string and built a team that NEARLY got back to back promotions, he went to PNE and did nothing - but something tells me because he wasn't an illustrious footballer, he wouldnt get a sniff!

51% win record is good, and can't be took away from him, but what was Paul Ince win record before joining Blackburn? I haven't looked it up, just wondering.

I would be absolutely disgusted if Derby appointed Di Canio and wouldn't step back in pride park until he was gone. Even if we was top of the premier league, and you could hold me to that! Just strikes me as a Mike Basset type manager and before anyone says anything, he won the mr. clutch cup with norwich!

If I was a Sunderland fan, I would be mortified at this decision - Martin O'Neil or Di Canio? Absolute no brainer and in the end they will pay for their mistake!

Excellent appointment..

His European knowledge will help them become a far better team than the ugly British slowpaced percentage one they have now..

As long as he is foreign eh?

But Di Canio's 'mangement by hand grenade' is a million miles from the cultured, sophisticated ticka tacka stuff you normally champion.

As much as I like Di Canio, I dont think he is the right appointment for a long term plan but somebody extreme like this could save them, you never know what you will get. He will either do something brilliant or terrible.

As much as I like Di Canio, I dont think he is the right appointment for a long term plan but somebody extreme like this could save them, you never know what you will get. He will either do something brilliant or terrible.

From that point of view, he's probably a good appointment for them.

They are already terrible. Di Canio can't lose.

Exaclty, its the same at qpr last season with Djibral Cisse. He scored or got sent off in every game he played, but with his goals they stayed up.

Everyone's missing the big questions here....

Will he get the trains to Sunderland to run on time, and when he finally fails, will he be hung upside down from a lamp post? 

I remember they had some quite exciting African players at one point like Gyan, Muntari, Mensah, Sessegnon...

Hopefully he'll bring in some exciting foriegn players once again. Couldn't give a stuff what happens to the club, just want some decent highlights to watch on a Saturday night.

Archived