Is a relegation battle really on the cards !

Curtains

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if your going to use form ovr the 37 games to date it skews it even more in our favour. We have averaged well over a point a game compared to their barely over a point a game. Making it even harder for them to overtake us.

with nine games left using the form over the last 8 is a better option.

we average 0.5 points per game (with no wins)

over 9 games we would get 4.5 points (lets call it 4)

one of the bottom three would need to get 11 points to overtake us. Or 3 wins two draws and 4 losses. Possible bit I say very unlikely

The DET produced a form table based on the last 10 games we were 23rd,with Millwall winning,if we lose

tonight it might be worse.

if your going to use form ovr the 37 games to date it skews it even more in our favour. We have averaged well over a point a game compared to their barely over a point a game. Making it even harder for them to overtake us.

with nine games left using the form over the last 8 is a better option.

we average 0.5 points per game (with no wins)

over 9 games we would get 4.5 points (lets call it 4)

one of the bottom three would need to get 11 points to overtake us. Or 3 wins two draws and 4 losses. Possible bit I say very unlikely

The only things I was contesting were your 4 scenarios where you (not me) fixed the total points we would get,hence our  past form is totally irrelevant.You don't need to look at any team's past form now-just look at the current table.If you were to examine the first proposition,then you'd have to take away our 3 points and allocate 3 points to each club we were due to play.Peterborough would then need only 1 point and Wednesday just 3 (from 9 games) to overtake 45 points.Hanging by a thread after just one round of games.

Then look at the one you deemed "virtually impossible".Again take away our 3 points and add 2 (2 draws) to make 47 points.If we only drew 2,then there would be 7 lots of 3 points and 2 lots of 2 points to allocate to other clubs.Whichever way you did it I'd hardly say that 48 points would be a virtually impossible target for the strugglers.

Of the bottom three we play Peterborough and Bristol so had we got no points they would still need 4 from the next 8 games to overtake us. Wolves would have needed 7. I don't think that they are good enough to do that.

as it is we have won a game. They all need at least 7 points from 8 games to overtake us now.

Of the bottom three we play Peterborough and Bristol so had we got no points they would still need 4 from the next 8 games to overtake us. Wolves would have needed 7. I don't think that they are good enough to do that.

as it is we have won a game. They all need at least 7 points from 8 games to overtake us now.

Wolves are on 42 points,so I don't know how they would need 7 points to get to 46.Peterborough are also on 42 points,and as they were one of the teams to play us that would have put them level,with 7 more games to get just one point.

If you were mixing up Wolves and Bristol,the latter would have got to 42 points by virtue of the game against us,and would then only need 4 more from the remaining games.

Wolves are on 42 points,so I don't know how they would need 7 points to get to 46.Peterborough are also on 42 points,and as they were one of the teams to play us that would have put them level,with 7 more games to get just one point.

If you were mixing up Wolves and Bristol,the latter would have got to 42 points by virtue of the game against us,and would then only need 4 more from the remaining games.

I think I missed something here, we're on 48 points now aren't we, and vastly better goal difference, so they'd need 49 to get ahead of us.

Basically a pointless discussion though, there are 11 teams below us now, 8 before the relegation places. The idea of even discussing relegation from here is a tad silly, with a few home games to come. A win would see us on 51 points, with good goal difference, two wins in the last 8 would see us on 54 points, more than a team has been relegated with since before I was born (and I have no idea how far back it was until a team go relegated on so many points, but I stopped checking after that).

We could well end up with ~60+ points this season, and in fact, if we lose less than 4 of the last 8 we'll have lost less than last season.

i said "would have needed" because i was referring to what was needed at the time of my original post

I think I missed something here, we're on 48 points now aren't we, and vastly better goal difference, so they'd need 49 to get ahead of us.

We were discussing what would have happened if we'd lost all our games.

i said "would have needed" because i was referring to what was needed at the time of my original post

You said "Wolves would have needed 7.I don't (present tense) think that they are good enough to do that" A bit remarkable,seeing as they've just got 3 from the first game.

The last round of games just shows that your original logic was flawed-and it's only taken one round to highlight it.This division has been characterised by the fact that every team can beat any other.Anyway,I'm out of it now.

But are wolves good enough to get another 4?

Why do I get the feeling I've just stumbled into "The Mad Hatter's Tea Party" ? So the question is are they good enough to get 4 points from 8 games (half the strike rate they've managed in the season to date)?

Why do I get the feeling I've just stumbled into "The Mad Hatter's Tea Party" ? So the question is are they good enough to get 4 points from 8 games (half the strike rate they've managed in the season to date)?

They'll probably get around the 6-10 mark, is this something that really is in question?

Archived