Is a relegation battle really on the cards !

Curtains

Can someone clarify my twisted logic please......I saw last night that the PL had agreed to increase parachute payments from 48 to 60 million quid over a 4 year period.....so my logic says why should we carry on going through this financial austerity at Derby and instead spend a load of cash getting into the PL as even if we were there for 1 year we would get back the money for that year plus 60 million quid over the next 4 years which surely would cover the cost of transfers and wages to get us their in the first place? Or am I missing something?

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing different from any other season.Cardiff have been knocking on the door for several seasons

and finally made it.Good luck to them.Hull got relegated aa couple of seasons ago appointed a proper

manager and look good for automatic promotion.Watford are good and will make the play-offs.The

other positions will be filled by either Brighton,Palace,Leicester,Bolton or Forest.They are the next

best teams because of good managers and sensible investment in decent players.The remaining

teams are all a bit of a muchness and any of them could have been relegated.Whats new.

Birmingham & Sunderland fans dont think Bruce is a 'proper manager', just look where he took them - and he spent a bit creating f****g boring teams

I can't believe we're actually still looking down at the bottom 3 in mid-April - granted, the division is incredibly even this year but the bottom line is we are very unlikely to exceed last year's points total.

That is not progress - it is going backwards.

It actually makes me shudder thinking what would have happened had we not gone on that recent 3 match winning run - including the Leeds game where we were the slightly less diabolical of the 2 teams on "display"

Can someone clarify my twisted logic please......I saw last night that the PL had agreed to increase parachute payments from 48 to 60 million quid over a 4 year period.....so my logic says why should we carry on going through this financial austerity at Derby and instead spend a load of cash getting into the PL as even if we were there for 1 year we would get back the money for that year plus 60 million quid over the next 4 years which surely would cover the cost of transfers and wages to get us their in the first place? Or am I missing something?

Your logic is fine - the problem comes when the intial "death or glory" investment doesn't guarantee promotion - see Leicester, Forest & Cardiff (until this season). If the owners can no longer fund such losses before promotion is achieved then marquee players get flogged at knock down price & we potentially drop into League One.

This is a particular problem when you have doubts about the manager's abilities to successfully identify the correct players, motivate them & mould them into a consistently winning side. Which I'm increasingly starting to have.

Birmingham & Sunderland fans dont think Bruce is a 'proper manager', just look where he took them - and he spent a bit creating f****g boring teams

Really and how many thousand Sunderland and Birmingham fans have you spoken to and who apart from you

says they are boring?

Even if our form remains as poor as it's been we'll still get around ~8 points from the last 9 games, that would put us on 53 points which would likely be safe and above the highest total a team has gone down with in the last 15 seasons at least.

Considering that we've spent most of the season in the top half of the table, and have spent more of the season thinking about the playoffs than even thinking about a bottom half finish I'd be tempted to think that it's more a case of people worrying because there's not much else to do. In simple terms it would take a ridiculous set of circumstances to see us even in the relegation battle proper.

Thats why its still open Albert :rolleyes:

You are correct.In fact as they have increased the amount of money each team gets next season in the Premier

we would get our investment back several times over.It is a gamble but don't we have some billionaires on board

to cover it?I have been on about this for the past 2 seasons but nobody wants to discuss it,must be heresy or

something.

2 points though,to do nothing is also a gamble.Eventually we could go down.Also to get the best out of the

investment we need to have a proven capable manager,if necessary grab him from another club and pay them

off.

What we need is a few years of all three teams coming down going back up - that way the second years parachute payments get shared out amongst the division.

That's enough for each team to buy a quality player a year and improve their squads.

Why? All that's happening is the theory of money and success being aligned is being proven inaccurate as all of these clubs spend the parachute on making up the shortfall in income required to pay the wages!

What we need is a few years of all three teams coming down going back up - that way the second years parachute payments get shared out amongst the division.

That's enough for each team to buy a quality player a year and improve their squads.

That should take us up to the ten years :D

Archived