Do we have a style?

WilkoRam

Stoke got promoted the same year we got relegated.Since then they have survived got to play in Europe and

knocked us out of the cup without breaking sweat.Watch them on TV they play football we can only dream about.

They are about the same size town as us have no access to any more money than us.What they have is a good

local set-up and a good manager,we have none of those,they deserve their success.We deserve what we get feck all.

If you seriously think Stoke 'play football we can only dream about' I'm afraid your opinion on footballing matters won't hold much weight with many people.

They may play in a division we can only dream of but their brand of football is not what I would aspire to.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A mate of my mentioned this kind of thing not long ago, and it struck a chord with me, although he was talking more about strategy than style. We were debating what - if any - is Derby's and Nigel's over-arching strategy, because we couldn't pinpoint it. So it's interesting to see other fans have been wondering the same thing.

Stoke have a style, it's not pretty but they have a style.

To be honest I think the overriding style is "if we work hard enough we should win" little else see,s to matter. Number 1 priority appears to be giving 100% all other attributes are irrelevant.

I'd say that if there is a strategy, the above is it.

Hugely depends on the oppo. If they sit off us and give our midfield and back 4 time on the ball then we'll knock it around and play some good stuff. We look to keep the ball.

If we're pressed and under pressure passing goes out the window and we pump it long to hopeless, isolated strikers, meaning the ball comes straight back at us. Eventually leading to goals conceded. This is where we need players to grow some balls and stand up for themselves. We currently have none who can handle this type of play.

Yesterday was a good example, failed to finish the game off and let Brum gather momentum. We couldn't handle them. Could of ended 5-1. Such a contrast to the first 45 where we looked comfortable and were rarely troubled.

Stoke got promoted the same year we got relegated.Since then they have survived got to play in Europe and

knocked us out of the cup without breaking sweat.Watch them on TV they play football we can only dream about.

They are about the same size town as us have no access to any more money than us.What they have is a good

local set-up and a good manager,we have none of those,they deserve their success.We deserve what we get feck all.

Keep it real fella. "Stoke have no access to more money than us" - that statement completely ruins your post.

Peter Crouch and Kenwynne Jones are both on £45k + per week. That's not far off our TOTAL wage bill!

I agree. Stoke do have a lot more money. But then they're also in the PL and therefore have access to a lot more money than us. 

We don't help ourselves in Cup competitions. There was a very possible cup run in either the Capital One, or FA Cup, but we performed badly and were dumped out at home. 

As for Stokes, style of play, I'm not a fan. I don't think any neutral would choose to watch Stoke. But I bet their fans aren't moaning about it. It gets results. And if it were the same for us, I would be content. 

I don't care if my child is good looking, just that they're healthy. 

I agree. Stoke do have a lot more money. But then they're also in the PL and therefore have access to a lot more money than us. 

We don't help ourselves in Cup competitions. There was a very possible cup run in either the Capital One, or FA Cup, but we performed badly and were dumped out at home. 

As for Stokes, style of play, I'm not a fan. I don't think any neutral would choose to watch Stoke. But I bet their fans aren't moaning about it. It gets results. And if it were the same for us, I would be content. 

I don't care if my child is good looking, just that they're healthy. 

There is a fairly vocal "pulis out" group building up at Stoke atm.

local set-up and a good manager,we have none of those,they deserve their success.We deserve what we get feck all.

An absolute corker, thanks for the lift

You know the anti NC keyboard warriors (your not supporters) such as your good self just compound the fact that you know absolutely nothing about football and the direction in which we are travelling.

You plant poison and then revel in it.

You know the anti NC keyboard warriors (your not supporters) such as your good self just compound the fact that you know absolutely nothing about football and the direction in which we are travelling.

Although I don't agree with Top 6's comments regarding Stoke, I am interested to now the "direction we are travelling" so far we're travelling very little direction in terms of results and also in terms of consistency and, what I believe to be a lack of a plan/system/style that the management believe in sufficiently to stick by.

I'll qualify this with the example of a few seasons ago now. We played some really good stuff, we looked dangerous, we passed it well. W had one up top with three creative types behind. We then hit a sticky patch and it all got thrown out of the window in favour of two rows of four and "safe" football. We've never really gone back to it, we sometimes go 5 across the midfield, we still play a formation that requires wingers without having any proper wingers. If the management don't have a plan that they believe in, one that changes, then how are the players meant to gel into a system?

Instead of throwing personal insults at him why dont you tell us which part of his post you disagree with?

Or is it just that you can't face up to It?

Instead of throwing personal insults at him why dont you tell us which part of his post you disagree with?

Or is it just that you can't face up to It?

Made me wince a bit as well.I think that everyone should appreciate that each of the 3 camps probably express honestly held views.

We don't have a style, that's why so many players have been signed and then quickly discarded, take the number of wide players we have signed then decided we don't need.

I think players are brought in because there available and without any real thought as to how they will be utilized or add to the current first team squad.

We don't have a style, that's why so many players have been signed and then quickly discarded, take the number of wide players we have signed then decided we don't need.

I think players are brought in because there available and without any real thought as to how they will be utilized or add to the current first team squad.

Or because we can't afford to buy and/or pay wages for proven quality. It would be truly amazing if every signing had worked out brilliantly.

Or because we can't afford to buy and/or pay wages for proven quality. It would be truly amazing if every signing had worked out brilliantly.

Some have been signed though and hardly got a game to show what they could do which I find strange.

Mcquire,Dickinson and Martin certainly spring to mind...

Some have been signed though and hardly got a game to show what they could do which I find strange.

Mcquire,Dickinson and Martin certainly spring to mind...

Clough didn't sign Dickinson.

But yes, your point is valid, we had to take a chance on cheap unproven players, some work, some don't.

Archived