Do we have a style?

WilkoRam

Are we not in danger of judging Nigel based on how bad Jewell was and the money wasted By Davies in the prem. Is this a fair yardstick? For arguments sake, had Nigel followed Burley would we feel the same? I think Burley had worse conditions to work with and did better and we played with a style.

Again though, Burley is just one example of someone who did it well and Jewell is one where it went wrong (Davies is more of a mixed bag, not so bad to begin with then horrible at the end).

So we can't judge him up against the poor without also judging him against the good.

I don't think anyone would disagree that Burley did a decent job, but it was a different job to the one that Clough has had to do. He certainly had more restrictions on spending than Clough has had, but he did not have the problems that Clough has had in clearing out players who were not only overpaid but were largely not the sort of player we needed at that time. Our team is too inexperienced in a tough league and it shows sometimes, but apart from a couple of occasions Derby have competed in every match and that is a major improvement. Burley was a good manager at Derby; Clough is a good manager at Derby.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think anyone would disagree that Burley did a decent job, but it was a different job to the one that Clough has had to do. He certainly had more restrictions on spending than Clough has had, but he did not have the problems that Clough has had in clearing out players who were not only overpaid but were largely not the sort of player we needed at that time. Our team is too inexperienced in a tough league and it shows sometimes, but apart from a couple of occasions Derby have competed in every match and that is a major improvement. Burley was a good manager at Derby; Clough is a good manager at Derby.

Cough did have to clear the decks but the last two seasons he hasn't and burleys team was built in that time. He could have only dreamt of spending the fees cough has, a million odd on barker, keogh and salmon. 400k on maguire, decent fee on Bradford and bailey. burley couldn't sign svennson for under 100k after his loan. I've said before we talk about low wages, bisgaard was on under 1k a week when he first joined. This is now cloughs team and we are struggling. How much time does someone who has actually only ever achieved anything in non league actually get. If he wasn't a clough there would be no chance at all he would still be in the job as the fans would be going mad that a manager with his cv had been here so long and actually took us pretty much no where.

Nigel could well do a good job for us if he had money but we don't. You have to get the right person in for the situation. It's no good having Churchill during peace time.

We need the right person for the situation we are currently in. For me it appears (and I say appears as I can only go off what it looks like I cannot say for certain) that Nigel doesn't have either the scouting, contacts or maybe just prefers UK players but we cannot limit ourselves to the UK with such a limited budget. There is a whole world out there and we need to look at it rather than the few division in this country. It's how Jim Smith built his team and how Burley built his. Yes there were British players in there but they were complimented by players from elsewhere who were cheaper than their worth. I know there was a message recently to say its not as cost effective anymore to shop abroad and that the players aren't as cheap as they used to be, but I still think it is amiss of us to not look at all the talent out there.

Archived