Do we have a style?

WilkoRam

Seriously for every Igor? So a 50/50 ratio? Honestly? Or am I taking the phrase too literally?

Whilst trying to find players signed I found this site and after a few glances decided it was really really poor. Seems a very ill informed website. See what you think.

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/football-transfers/derby-county-transfers.html

Well it wasn't 50/50 but for instance the 98/99 season was a pretty mixed bag, lee morris was the same price as seth johnson, 00/01 was a bit mixed...

04/05 was a good season... Burley I think?

And since 09/10 I think Nigel's had more hits than misses from that list? and the misses weren't huge money misses...

Edit: Like that link btw

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I think that from January 2007 through to the first days of January 2009 are an absolute classic in terms of signings:

Jay McEveley ~ £600k

Craig Fagan ~ £1 mil

Jon Macken - Free

Tyrone Mears ~ £1 mil

Stephen Pearson ~ £750k

Gary Teale ~ £600k

Robert Earnshaw ~ £3.5 mil

Andy Todd ~ £750k

Claude Davis ~ £3 mil

Andy Griffin - Free

Lewis Price ~ £300k

Benny Feilhaber ~ £1 mil

Eddie Lewis ~ £250k

Kenny Miller ~ £2.25 mil

Tito Villa ~ £2 mil

Robbie Savage ~ £1.5 mil

Danny Mills - Loan

Hossam Ghaly - Loan

Laurent Robert - Free

Mile Sterjovski ~ £300k

Roy Carroll - Free

Alan Stubbs - Free

Ruben Zadkovich - Free

Paul Connolly - Free

Jordan Stewart - Free

Kris Commons - Free

Steve Davies - £275k

Martin Albrechtsen - Free

Liam Dickinson ~ £750k

Paul Green - Free

Rob Hulse ~ £1.75 mil

Aleksandar Prijovic - Free

Darren Powell - Free

Nathan Ellington - Loan

Przemyslaw Kazmierczak - Loan

Andrejs Pereplotkins - Loan

Nacer Barazite - Loan

Luke Varney ~ £1 mil

Note, as a matter of convention players signed initially on loan are considered as signings within this time frame, whilst season loans are included

So that's what... 38 signings, 6 of which were loans, over a mere 24 months, for a casual outlay in transfer fees alone of the order of ~£22,575,000. That's not including things like wages, agents fees, loan fees for the likes of Ellington, Pereplotkins and Kazmierczak. Of all those players, the only ones who were actually good at the time were:

Mears

Miller

Ghaly

Stubbs

Tito

Commons

Davies

Green

Hulse

Barazite

Even then, Tito despite showing some heart against what was happening that season never really broke into the side properly, Stubbs got injured and that was it, Ghaly and Barazite were only on loan and overall, from 38 signings, to only have that many passable signings is beyond description. Thankfully Clough got something out the likes of Savage, Pearson and Teale, but still... Clough looks a Midas touch looking back at that mess.

Half a dozen players there AT LEAST that cost more than the maximum Clough has had to spend on a single player and I haven't included Ellington or any of the players signed for a million.

Stick in the million pound signings and there's another 4 or 5. In other words a full first 11 costing more than we've spent on single players in 4 years.

Don't get me started on wages. Roy Carroll picking up at least 15k a week for being third choice keeper. I wonder how much Deeney is on?

I don't think anyone's going to argue that Clough hasnt been a better manager than Jewell.

But then you're measuring him against possibly the worst manager in our (or any club's?) history.

Not much of a yardstick.

I don't think anyone's going to argue that Clough hasnt been a better manager than Jewell.

But then you're measuring him against possibly the worst manager in our (or any club's?) history.

Not much of a yardstick.

Can't speak for the others but I'm not measuring him to Jewell ability wise. I'd find it pretty insulting to compare Clough to Jewell in any part of personality, managerial or otherwise.

I'm measuring him to Jewell and for that matter Davies on wasted money.

It's incomparable. The two previous managers blowing money like it's going out of fashion. The third one having to spend money like it is out of fashion.

How anyone can argue against that is beyond me.

Not much of a yardstick.

Carefully note that Billy Davies was the manager for nearly half the period of time in question, and was responsible for the signings of:

Jay McEveley ~ £600k

Craig Fagan ~ £1 mil

Jon Macken - Free

Tyrone Mears ~ £1 mil

Stephen Pearson ~ £750k

Gary Teale ~ £600k

Robert Earnshaw ~ £3.5 mil

Andy Todd ~ £750k

Claude Davis ~ £3 mil

Andy Griffin - Free

Lewis Price ~ £300k

Benny Feilhaber ~ £1 mil

Eddie Lewis ~ £250k

Kenny Miller ~ £2.25 mil

Amounting to a total of around £15 mil outlay on transfers before agents fees, wages and such are taken into account, or in other words, more than half the outlay mentioned in that list before.

People are quick to slam Jewell's outlay, but Billy blew his fair share of money and was the original driving force in the disaster that was 2007-08. It seems he can get results, at this level at least, but from what I've seen from him you should keep him away from the chequebook.

Can't speak for the others but I'm not measuring him to Jewell ability wise. I'd find it pretty insulting to compare Clough to Jewell in any part of personality, managerial or otherwise.

I'm measuring him to Jewell and for that matter Davies on wasted money.

It's incomparable. The two previous managers blowing money like it's going out of fashion. The third one having to spend money like it is out of fashion.

How anyone can argue against that is beyond me.

The key with Nigel's time here isn't just the limited amount he's been able to spend, but the amount he's had to cut from the wage bill. One thing people seem to forget as well is how much more he got out of that mess of a squad. Bringing Savage back in from the cold, the rise of Tealinho, seeing Hulse and Commons through to the best form of their careers, it's all forgotten now, and instead we misquote him about a young player who ended up just not being good enough for us, or another team he went to in the division.

Thinking about this season though, it seems looking at the league table that our issue right now is that we're not winning as many games as last season, drawing more than we did. We're still only 4 less losses than last year, that is, if we don't lose 5 or more, we will have equalled or bettered last year's loss total.

Fair do's

BD always complained about not getting enough as well, but then the promotion he won generated a lot of the money he wasted (though Rambler will now quite rightly point out that it came in too late to help us when we needed it).

Fair do's

BD always complained about not getting enough as well, but then the promotion he won generated a lot of the money he wasted (though Rambler will now quite rightly point out that it came in too late to help us when we needed it).

What always got me was this spending spree from Billy:

Jay McEveley ~ £600k

Craig Fagan ~ £1 mil

Jon Macken - Free

Tyrone Mears - Loan (to £1 mil signing in the summer)

Stephen Pearson ~ £750k

Gary Teale ~ £600k

Jones also signed for what... about £1 mil if I recall, but he had already joined on loan before then. At the start of January we were 2nd, by the end, 1st by 6 points. We had 59 points from 30 games (~1.97 points per game). From this, with all these signings to "strengthen" the side we slid down to third picking up 25 points from the last 16 games (1.56 points per game, at best, barely playoff form). Of course, these signings were only argubly a bit wasteful, not outright poor. Teale and Fagan were good enough players at this level (Teale showed this again later with his form under Nigel), while Mears was a solid addition. It wasn't anything like what was to come, but his transfer activity then, when funded (as he was in the summer as well) was far from convincing. So yeah, long story short, I'd trust Nigel with money more than I'd trust Billy.

Not much of a yardstick.

The reason Jewell was appointed was because of his track record.He took an unfashionable club from

a town more known for Rugby League,from Div2 to the Premier and kept them there.Hardly the worst

manager ever.                                                                                          

If I was looking to appoint a manager, I'd run a mile from Jewell and I wouldn't have let him near the club in the first place This won't be seen as a positive by many but one of the reasons I admire Clough is he has never looked to hide from what was a very tough job. Remeber that Jewell quit saying it was too tough a job for him.

At any point in the last 4 years It would be easier for Clough to walk away and blame the board.

Jewell kept bradford in the championship after taking over from Chris Kamara. In 21 games he won 6 and that was enough to keep them up. Next season after signing 4 1m pound players plus Lee Sharpe and Stuart McCall to get out of the championship, he broke Bradfords record transfer fee 4 times. He resigned the day after he kept them up to take over at Sheff Wed citing he'd taken them as far as he could. He'd lined up the Sheff Wed job before quitting so the chairman put him on gardening leave.

He spent 8 months at Sheff Wed then resigned.

He took over at Wigan (bankrolled by Whelan by the way who spent a fortune) and no-one can argue that he did a very good job getting them through the leagues. Once he got to the PL, he resigned at Wigan the day after keeping them up. Citing he'd done as much as he could and didn't feel he could take them any further.

When he left those clubs he resembled a broken man. When he left Derby I really thought he's psychologically lost the plot.

When the going gets tough the Jewell gets going. No class, no backbone and worse than that no moral compass.

The reason Jewell was appointed was because of his track record.He took an unfashionable club from

a town more known for Rugby League,from Div2 to the Premier and kept them there.Hardly the worst

manager ever.                                                                                          

I was thinking of his spell with us as being one of the worst ever in the history of football ever, not counting whoever was in charge for Loughborough in 1895 or whatever it was.

I doubt Clough will ever get anywhere near Jewells achievements.

To get close enough to compare, Nigel would have to spunk somewhere in the region of 50million pounds on transfer fees.

Excellent, at his current rate of spending it means we've got him till he's 71 at least.

To get close enough to compare, Nigel would have to spunk somewhere in the region of 50million pounds on transfer fees.

Excellent, at his current rate of spending it means we've got him till he's 71 at least.

Hey, at least it's better than Jewell coming back.

Perhaps you could go through the 50m for us player by player.

look it up yourself top6. I'll post a link to his wilkipage if you want.

You seem to be a bit keen to throw your support behind a manager who nearly killed the club and got caught shagging a woman while managing us.

Nice to see.

look it up yourself top6. I'll post a link to his wilkipage if you want.

You seem to be a bit keen to throw your support behind a manager who nearly killed the club and got caught shagging a woman while managing us.

Nice to see.

Oh you were watching were you?Is that what they call "dogging"?whatever that is.

I never said I wanted either Phil Brown or Jewell back,just setting the record straight.

I was one of the first on the old DET forum,taking a lot of abuse,some on here who

attack him now.

Archived