Birmingham City v Derby County

Hucknall Ram

The amount of points we have lost to basic defending errors is frightening. Keogh is the usual culprit as well. No wonder Coventry got relegated if he was their best player

cant pin it on Sammon leys go for another scapegoat. Don't forget Roberts and Buxton have been at fault for a fare few goals too

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fresh legs might help with energy. 3 new bodies on the pitch.

But looking at the bench..... You get fresh legs but the ability on there isn't any rival to the first team. But still, sometimes we just look like we're in need of a boost.

Necessitating some of Clough's legendary game-changing substitutions.

For the second game running it was blatantly obvious that at least two of the team were knackered yet Clough made no substitutes until late in the game - then removed Davies who was one of our best players. Martin played ok today but was dead on his feet, as was Forsyth. Keogh was one of our best players in the first half of this season but I'm afraid he has lost it. I have to say he's not the bravest and he is becoming ever easier to beat. Birmingham were poor today and we couldn't finish them off. The difference NIGEL was that they made good substitutions which brought energy to the team.

Fresh legs might help with energy. 3 new bodies on the pitch.

But looking at the bench..... You get fresh legs but the ability on there isn't any rival to the first team. But still, sometimes we just look like we're in need of a boost.

if he identified the need for energy why take Bavies off? Forsyth had nothing left to give

Clough frustrated after Derby County's 3-1 loss at Birmingham City.

Nigel Clough admitted he was a ‘very frustrated manager’ after seeing Derby County lose 3-1 at Birmingham City, despite leading 1-0 until the 70th minute at St Andrews.

The Rams had led courtesy of Ben Davies’s third goal of the season just before half-time, but the hosts’ substitutes changed the game as Lee Clark’s men picked up all three points.

Striker Wes Thomas helped himself to a brace, while Nathan Redmond also got himself on the scoresheet to condemn Clough’s side to defeat in the West Midlands.

Clough felt the biggest factor behind the Rams’ downfall was that they didn’t seize the opportunity to put the game to bed when they were in complete control, before the Blues stormed back to win the game in the final 20 minutes.

He told Rams Player afterwards: “We’re frustrated like you wouldn’t believe, which is how it has been for the last few weeks.

“We didn’t do enough to get more than the one goal today, especially in the first half, and despite dominating it took us until 40 minutes to get a goal when it should have been two or three really.

“It was the same old similar situation in that we didn’t take our chances and although we are a fairly inexperienced team, the players have to realise that when a team is nervous at home you really need to take advantage of it and there weren’t enough of them who sensed that today.

“You aren’t going to have 90 minutes on top in a Championship game, especially away from home, so when you are in the ascendancy you need to take your chances, and we offered them encouragement in the second half after being booed off at half-time.

“It wasn’t a bad performance and we didn’t make any glaring errors out there, but we’ve been saying that over the course of the last few weeks and today’s game was there for the taking, which frustrates us so much.”

Clough highlighted Thomas’s first goal as the turning point in the game and he admitted that although the introduction of the Bournemouth loanee and Redmond off the bench changed the game, his side should have dealt with their threat better.

He also feels Derby need to ride the storm better in games when they fall under the cosh and the Rams boss explained: “Their substitutes changed the game, adding a bit more pace, but we should have been able to deal with that to be honest.

“The first goal was the turning point and we should have done better with it and stopped it.

“Once they got that goal their tails were up and we didn’t manage to recover.

“We invited them on and didn’t ride the storm well enough, nor defend from the front, and when we do that we always give ourselves a chance of winning games.”

Clough also felt the long midweek trip to Cardiff and the amount of effort that went in to gaining a point at the leaders took its toll on his injury-hit squad, but he wasn’t using it as an excuse as his side surrendered a lead away from home from the second time inside a week.

He said: “The effort that went in on Tuesday took its toll but we can’t sit here and use that as an excuse, because if we had taken our chances we would have been out of sight.

“When you’re without players like Craig Bryson, John Brayford, Will Hughes and Jamie Ward, it’s going to have an effect because they have quality in key areas.

“All teams have injuries but we’re finding it hard to win games without players of that quality and if they had been available we would have been confident of winning today.”

Despite hitting a tricky run of form, with the Rams now eight games without a win, Clough is confident his side can get back to winning ways in the not too distant future and climb the Championship table.

He said: “We’ve had tricky runs before and come through them, so we’ll do the same now.

“We have to concentrate on the things we are doing well and we are playing some great stuff, but we need to improve the other side of the game in terms of doing the business in both boxes.”

http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/it-was-there-for-the-taking-703212.aspx?pageView=full#anchored

The long midweek trip to Cardiff? This is the same Cardiff as in South Wales, right? Not the Cardiff in the Peruvian jungle or the Australian outback? But the same Cardiff down the M5? What a pathetic excuse. 

Actually I was quite tired today after dragging my sorry ass to Cardiff and Birmingham in a week, spending half my f=88ing wages in the process!

The long midweek trip to Cardiff? This is the same Cardiff as in South Wales, right? Not the Cardiff in the Peruvian jungle or the Australian outback? But the same Cardiff down the M5? What a pathetic excuse. 

Perhaps it was this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardiff,_New_Zealand

Might also explain how we managed to get a point. We weren't playing the top-of-the-table team. Thought it was all a bit odd, what with them playing in red etc.

Disappointed is an understatement. 

My ratings for what it's worth:

Legs - 5. Second seemed to go under his outstretching arm? Might be being harsh but it didn't look in the corner from where I was sat. Got lucky with another Cardiffesque no-mans land wander. 

Roberts - 6. Solid first half, pace caused him problems in the second. 

Keogh - 5.5. Thought he did well up against Zigic but it looked like it was him that got turned for their equaliser. If it was, then he'll deserve a 5. Awful.

Bucko - 5. Just not good enough. Too many hoofs. 

Gjokaj - 6. Looks ok despite being out of position, good tackler and got forward which was surprising to see. 

Forsyth - 6. Some decent play and deliveries in the first half, tired in the second. Had no effect on the game second half. 

Hendrick - 6. Alright, as per. Went into his shell when Brum knocked it up a gear. 

Coutts - 6. Same as Hendrick, played ok. Also was too quiet when we needed someone to break up the play. 

Bavies - 6. Nice goal, few good deliveries. Nothing out of the ordinary. 

Martin - 6. Good link up play, unlucky in the first half not to score. 

Sammon - 6. Did alright, plenty of work in the centre circle for us but not enough in the oppo's 18 yard box. Same with Martin I guess. 

Subs didn't do anything of note. Certainly not enough to single out on the radio (again).

Just want to pull my hair out. 

I don't usually go to away games but decided on this one as an afternoon out with my lad - should have save my money and stayed home.

This was a bad result and a shocking performance, apart from 20-odd minutes of the first half before we scored.

Second half we never got going.

If this has been our standard away from home all season I'm not surprised we've lost so many.

Only positives I can take is that I thought Sammon was ok but had little backup,

Gjokaj did the best he could and looked quite comfortable with the ball but was often left with no outlet.

I'm afraid we are now in a relegation battle and we need at least 3 more wins.

Just watched highlights, our defence is absolutely diabolical. How many clean sheets have we had this season? I can only remember 2.

0-0 Brighton and Wolves home

3-0 Huddersfield home

0-1 Florest away

0-2 Bristol City away

I think that might be it

Archived