Derby County v Bolton Wanderers

CumbrianRam

Bavies has played RB before in the reserves and U21. Probably better suited to play there than those on the bench, thought he did ok. Also got forward well. If that defence needed anything it was experience, not another young player with 0 first team starts under their belt. Didn't think it was a bad decision at the time and it certainly paid off.

No, fair enough from the experience perspective (although not much of that at RB), I just thought that Gjokal could go in at CB and put Brayford back at RB. Not showing much faith in Gjokal?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, fair enough from the experience perspective (although not much of that at RB), I just thought that Gjokal could go in at CB and put Brayford back at RB. Not showing much faith in Gjokal?

Maybe so. I haven't seen him play for the U21 team so can't really comment on his abilities pro's and con's but maybe he struggles against physical players? Putting him in against C Davies and Ngog and inevitably Kevin Davies could have been disasterous. I thought Brayford did ok against them for the majority of the game so would have been a risk to change it around any more.

We do miss Brayford at RB though, Coutts looks lost without him. Freeman looked bright early on too, I like the look of him. Always looks to get the ball on the floor and find someones feet first rather than the punts up field we see too often from our defenders.

Manager comments

Derby boss Nigel Clough:

"It was a good point in the end when you're 1-0 down, but overall I think we deserved three.

"We showed great character to come back and get a point, I'm absolutely delighted with the lads.

"We are sitting here with three points from our last four matches but we could quite easily have nine or 10."

Bolton manager Dougie Freedman:

"We tried to go two up top with the strikers and go toe-to-toe with Derby, and we were quite comfortable at 1-0 up. But Derby got a deserved equaliser, I must admit that.

"There's more in us. People might think this is a good result for Bolton, but it's not quite good enough for me."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21449084

Crap today. Both forwards were ***** Jamie ward was fouling and giving the ball away at every opportunity. Sammon couldn't win anything or control it. Too many passes back to the keeper who was taking an age to do anything AGAIN. Coutts was non existant. Every one else was average hendrick was the better player again. Clough left it too late to make changes. Davies did ok at RB but was never in position.

There was no desire tonight and I'm not happy.

Don't agree with that at all. Lack of quality, but not desire.

Teams have now sussed us out at home, The first team to do this was (cough, splutter) Forest. They are using extra markers on both Coutts (to stop the assists) and Sammon (to stop the build up play). The crosses are no longer coming in from the right and Coutts is now drifting across the midfield to try and get involved. Sammon has someone challenging from behind and one or two midfielders are looking to nip it off him. Today Bolton added the additional tactic of pressing our defence to force us into playing long balls. We only really overcome this by committing Davies as an extra winger and Brayford carrying the ball into midfield, both of which left us stretched at the back. We need to find a new formation or pattern of play at home, but that is a gamble wit how stretched our squad is.

Thought Ben Davies had a good game tonight. So did Hendrick. You can complain about it being the set piece that let us down, but you had to be an idiot to think we were going to do well the way Keogh was setting up the defence for the set piece. Nobody knew what they were doing, there were Derby players everywhere, just no organisation whatsoever. I called a goal before they took the fk and by God I was right. I wish Barker hadn't got injured...because I really do believe we'd be comfortably in the play-offs right now. I've been saying it all season, Keogh isn't a captain...and so far nobody has had an argument defending him. Pffft.

Legzdins- 6. Not much to do. Better distribution that Sat.

Hoganson- 7. Solid other than a couple of mistakes. Attempted to kick the ball down the line on numerous occasions...failed.

Brayford- 7. Solid all game. Good at CB but sorely missed at RB.

Keogh- 6. Not a captain. Can't organise a defence. Scored a poor own goal.

Davies- 8. Was lively all game. Looked creative and played some clever football. Got a nice right foot. My Motm.

Jacobs- 8. Creative and lively for the best part of the game. Excellent assist for Wards goal.

Hendrick- 7. Some good surging runs and nice passing. His long passes are the best at the club. Excellent player!

Bryson- 4. Contributed nothing. Hasn't been the same player since his long-tern injury that was cut short...hmmm.

Coutts- 3. Useless. Utterly useless. Worst player on the pitch. Brayford makes him look good when at RB...how the f*ck do people rate this guy? £150k for a reason.

Ward- 5. Crap game. Wasted a lot of opportunities. Purposely fouled every Bolton player on the pitch but scored a really nice goal. He's a t!t but I love him.

Sammon- 5. I don't know what to say. He's 'good' at best. Extremely inconsistent. Can't control the ball. Can't shoot. Can't head the ball. Can't read the play. Makes poor decisions. Doesn't get dropped, I'd rather see Robinson up top, atleast he scores ffs.

We need a CB on loan. Hoganson is fine for me at LB and has arguably been playing better than Roberts in the past few weeks. Disagree with the above comment as well about Keogh not being captain material. He talks a lot on the pitch especially to the younger players (e.g. OB) and always makes great last-ditch tackles. Tonight was just a mistake by him. Jacobs needs to start against Watford too, with Bavies maybe coming in for Coutts.

We need a CB on loan. Hoganson is fine for me at LB and has arguably been playing better than Roberts in the past few weeks. Disagree with the above comment as well about Keogh not being captain material. He talks a lot on the pitch especially to the younger players (e.g. OB) and always makes great last-ditch tackles. Tonight was just a mistake by him. Jacobs needs to start against Watford too, with Bavies maybe coming in for Coutts.

Talking to players and making last ditch tackles does not make somebody a captain. What has he actually done to show he's captain material?

I can't be bothered to write up my thesis fully tonight but I think the worst player on the pitch was Bryson tonight. His performance lacked any kind of intelligence when we needed it most, and for an experienced player he was way too shy. Hendrick took far more responsibility.

Talking to players and making last ditch tackles does not make somebody a captain. What has he actually done to show he's captain material?

I'd say that's exactly what a captain's supposed to do. Be a reassuring presence and be there when under pressure/ when no-one else is there. What else would you say is vital to be a captain?

Another shocking performance. Didn't we have two centre backs on the bench? Yet goes with a midfielder and right back, and a right back at centre back? What?

Sammon shocking again. I swear it's only people on this forum that actually like the fella. He was booed and jeered constantly and even got an ironic cheer when he eventually won a header. Pathetic.

Ward looked lively but gives away far far too many stupid free kicks. Coutts, who I rate, had a poor game.

Jacobs was the brightest attacking player for me, and proved he deserves a starting place. Although Clough will drop him when we go for a 0-0 on Saturday (In reality we'll get stuffed).

Had no plan B as usual. Throw Theo on in the 80th minute seems the height of his reactionary tactics.

All this while the wee Jock takes Forest up the table.

Disillusioned isn't the word.

The wee jock just got his 1st win, we got 7 points not 4 from the same fixtures - and thats while he's still in the honeymoon period with a squad much more expensive than ours.

Clough annoys me. I try to like him and find reason for all that he does but too often it leaves me baffled.

Couldn't agree more, thought last night was better than Saturday. Still not up to standard though. Ledgkins seems to like taking an age to do anything. Wards stupid free kicks get losing any momentum we'd built up. Coutts has been dreadful for two months now in my eyes. Sammon might run around a lot but achieves little. Hoganson had a shocker as well, slight reality check for some fans after going way over the top Saturday!

All in all just think we're a bog standard championship side. Have good days, have bad days. Taken four years to build this and it's not particularly impressive.

Players seem to have no urgency to win a game. Scared to lose rather than wanting to win. Clough continually seems content with it all, happy with squad etc. All just very dull and average.

Don't see it selling many season tickets if we continue like this! Off to Watford Saturday and honestly can't see anything but a defeat! Feels like season is petering out already.

In reality we're not far from sixth and a decent run lately would've comfortably put us in the play off positions.

To summarise then, do we have any good players at all? every single players been hammered in this thread.

Good time to be a Derby fan 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />[size=4] [/size]

No ones really been on form lately have they? Hendrick being the obvious exception. Clough said we could have 9 pts instead of 3 from our last four games easily, yet he is constantly delighted with the players? What went wrong then? How are we trying to rectify this and make sure we in future pick up whatever points we deserve?

Archived