Magaye Gueye

BillyS95

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Republic of Ireland is in the British Isles isn't it?

As we see it yeah, except i'd imagine people from ROI would be less than pleased with our description of them as thus. Imagine French people referring to Britain as one of the 'French Isles', or 'Iles de la France', not implausible seeing as we were conquered by French speaking Normans in the 11th century. That might ruffle a few feathers. Its a question of good manners i suppose.

Anyway, apologies for the tangent, back to Gueye, from what i've seen he'd be worth a punt on loan, but more in hope than expectation. Maybe there is better available in the loan market if we look hard enough. Anybody know any Evertonians with more info on the lad?

As we see it yeah, except i'd imagine people from ROI would be less than pleased with our description of them as thus. Imagine French people referring to Britain as one of the 'French Isles', or 'Iles de la France', not implausible seeing as we were conquered by French speaking Normans in the 11th century. That might ruffle a few feathers. Its a question of good manners i suppose.

Anyway, apologies for the tangent, back to Gueye, from what i've seen he'd be worth a punt on loan, but more in hope than expectation. Maybe there is better available in the loan market if we look hard enough. Anybody know any Evertonians with more info on the lad?

The British Isles includes Ireland and all the other little Isles around it. Nothing to do with sovereignty its just the name of our islands. Don't get confused with Great Britain or United Kingdom which is something different,

The British Isles includes Ireland and all the other little Isles around it. Nothing to do with sovereignty its just the name of our islands. Don't get confused with Great Britain or United Kingdom which is something different,

It includes it because we have named it so, Don't worry, i'm not getting politically or geographically confused i assure you. I'm just suggesting that our use of that particular geographical term is clearly insensitive to others, for reasons already stated. I wonder what Magaye Gueye feels about the issue? Maybe we could ask him if he signs for Derby. There i managed to drag this back on topic, sort of!

It includes it because we have named it so, Don't worry, i'm not getting politically or geographically confused i assure you. I'm just suggesting that our use of that particular geographical term is clearly insensitive to others, for reasons already stated. I wonder what Magaye Gueye feels about the issue? Maybe we could ask him if he signs for Derby. There i managed to drag this back on topic, sort of!

Does the English name 'the British Isles' really offend people? Really? What is offensive about it, the term Britain from what I remember is quite an old term. Actually, if I recall my facts right:

- The British Isles: The entire set of Islands, Great Britain, Ireland and surrounding Islands

- The British Islands: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and dependencies

- Great Britain: The islands of Great Britain

What part of any of that can be seen as offensive? The term 'Britain' is considerably older than the United Kingdom, so I don't see how it could be offensive?

Nice trolling for your first two posts.

Does the English name 'the British Isles' really offend people? Really? What is offensive about it, the term Britain from what I remember is quite an old term. Actually, if I recall my facts right:

- The British Isles: The entire set of Islands, Great Britain, Ireland and surrounding Islands

- The British Islands: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and dependencies

- Great Britain: The islands of Great Britain

What part of any of that can be seen as offensive? The term 'Britain' is considerably older than the United Kingdom, so I don't see how it could be offensive?

The ROI could refer to the British Isles as the Irish Isles. How would us Brits feel about that?

The ROI could refer to the British Isles as the Irish Isles. How would us Brits feel about that?

Precisely.

Any nation could name anywhere anything they please. That's just down to the vagaries of parochial nomenclature. The point is, when doing so it would be good to try and not offend anyone as a general rule. To answer Albert's question, of course there is nothing offensive about the term Britain, just like there is nothing offensive about the term Belgian or Norwegian. But if i was a betting man i'd wager that there are those in ROI, who would prefer if their country wasn't classed as being a 'British' Isle as they are not British. Surely, that is not an outrageous conclusion to draw?

Precisely.

Any nation could name anywhere anything they please. That's just down to the vagaries of parochial nomenclature. The point is, when doing so it would be good to try and not offend anyone as a general rule. To answer Albert's question, of course there is nothing offensive about the term Britain, just like there is nothing offensive about the term Belgian or Norwegian. But if i was a betting man i'd wager that there are those in ROI, who would prefer if their country wasn't classed as being a 'British' Isle as they are not British. Surely, that is not an outrageous conclusion to draw?

I think you are the one who is being over sensitive, In the time that I have worked in the west of Ireland nobody has objected to being called the British Isles (to be fair it only came up in rugby). It's a name that is all, have you ever seen any mass protests from our friends over there regarding the geographical name for our Islands?

I think you are the one who is being over sensitive, In the time that I have worked in the west of Ireland nobody has objected to being called the British Isles (to be fair it only came up in rugby). It's a name that is all, have you ever seen any mass protests from our friends over there regarding the geographical name for our Islands?

Maybe they were just being polite. Obviously i'm sure most people have better things to worry about than this, like the pair of us should have. But how would you feel if were the other way around? And i'd say they are not our islands, but partly ours, and partly theirs. In fact a little bit of research reveals that there is a wikipedia page dedicated to the 'british isles naming dispute' which would indicate that it does offend some.

So Roi is in the British isles or not have we decided?

Yes it is. I used to run pub quizzes and I had a trick question about the Shannon being the longest river in the British Isles. I did it one night in an Irish Club. I might as well have **** on the Pope's head whilst wearing an Oliver Cromwell costume.

Maybe they were just being polite. Obviously i'm sure most people have better things to worry about than this, like the pair of us should have. But how would you feel if were the other way around? And i'd say they are not our islands, but partly ours, and partly theirs. In fact a little bit of research reveals that there is a wikipedia page dedicated to the 'british isles naming dispute' which would indicate that it does offend some.

I think they are more offended by us invading them than by what we call ourselves..

The original article is nonsense.

1) We are not spending or loaning in the January transfer window to chase promotion. We are already over budget.

2) We are not looking for a striker. Clough had allowed Tyson to go as we have enough strikers now Ward is fit again.

Archived