time for roberts to go?

shannonjade

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair enough missed out there then Crewe have a history of good young players. James Bailey John Brayford NIck Powell come to mind.

Hulse, Sav, Seth...

• 3 weeks later...

well surprise surprise roberts at fault again for red dogs goal how many more times because of his height, slowness and positioning is he going to be responsible for us conceding get freeman in we are safe now lets build for next season get a defensive unit together who can play every week and get to know each other.

sorry late in re-posting lost password

interesting about 50/50 over roberts to my mind if 50% of rams fans think hes rubbish thats 50% too many

never mind is he out for three games now chance for freeman to stake his claim

alot of you missed my point if hes not going to be around next season we might as well concede goals with somebody who is and who can get to know the rest of the defensive unit by playing regularly with them

ever played football at primary school the footie teachers words to the full back were get close to the winger and dont let him get a cross in or if he goes out wide go with him so he cant recieve a pass

anybody notice who was at fault with the first goal v hull?

• 2 months later...

Being released, All the best Robbo

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22372598

Gareth Roberts: Derby County release veteran left-back

Derby County have released left-back Gareth Roberts after three seasons with the Championship club.

Roberts, who has played more than 100 games for the Rams, will be 35 in June.

Manager Nigel Clough said Roberts had been "brilliant", but said the time was right for the defender to move on.

Clough told BBC Radio Derby: "He's been brilliant to have around the place. I wish he was a year or two younger. But we are trying to sign Craig Forsyth and we have to move on at some point."

Forsyth has impressed during a loan spell at Pride Park from Watford and the Rams are trying to wrap up a permanent deal for the 24-year-old.

[indent]

"He has been a great example to the younger players. To still be playing as well in the Championship says a lot about his professionalism and fitness

[/indent]

Nigel Clough

Meanwhile, Roberts intends to find another club in order to prolong his career.

"I definitely want to keep going," he said. "I still feel fit and strong and enjoy do what I am doing day in, day out. I will hopefully play for another three or four years."

Clough said Roberts, who joined on a free transfer from Doncaster Rovers in May 2013, would be missed at Pride Park,

"He has been a great example to the younger players. To still be playing as well in the Championship says an awful lot about his professionalism and fitness," he added.

"There are not many players playing the Championship who are 35 plus, so we think it just might be one season too many for him. I hope he gets on in whatever he does.

"He will have a think about what he wants to do. Whatever he does we will wish him all the best and will help him however we can.

Probably the most consistent player over the last two seasons IMO. Credit to the club.

Somewhere in the dcfc.co.uk article alluded to him possibly staying on in a coaching capacity - would be good to see. He's been a wise head on the pitch and I can imagine the younger players have respect for him.

Often got criticised, but I've seen him come out on top against Zaha, Ince, M Phillips and plenty other decent wingers despite his size and pace.

I appreciate people's opinions on most matters but I've seen comments like "he's the worst player in the squad" and such like - I'm sorry, but that's just wrong. Very wrong. The sort of comment that really makes you wonder...

You'll never get promoted with a team of Roberts', but you'll never go down either. Honest pro who let the football did the talking, and he was the one player who actually showed his experience when we needed it.

I'll miss him, but it's time to move on for everyone.

Good servant to the club, seems a good bloke and will be missed around the place if not necessarily on the pitch as we move forward.

Excellent player on his day, kept a few of the league's rising stars quiet in the last couple of seasons, deserves a good send off

Archived