time for roberts to go?

shannonjade

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roberts has been a terrific servant. He is a good defender whose sharpness has gone. It happens to all footballers. If he could attack as well as he defends he would have made his name in Premiership rather than Championship football.

If he goes at the end of the season I wish him well. He isn't crap as some posters want to post. They don't understand the game. He is a steady Eddie who has had a couple of poor games. He wasn't that poor yesterday - our problems lie in central defence where we don't have a partnership which works. Also, you can't blame the full-backs for lack of attacking threat when you have loads of wide midfielders not doing their job and forwards with no finesse in the box.

Roberts has been a terrific servant. He is a good defender whose sharpness has gone. It happens to all footballers. If he could attack as well as he defends he would have made his name in Premiership rather than Championship football.

If he goes at the end of the season I wish him well. He isn't crap as some posters want to post. They don't understand the game. He is a steady Eddie who has had a couple of poor games. He wasn't that poor yesterday - our problems lie in central defence where we don't have a partnership which works. Also, you can't blame the full-backs for lack of attacking threat when you have loads of wide midfielders not doing their job and forwards with no finesse in the box.

Haha. Brilliant.

Sorry, I have to come back to this. Are really saying that if he had more attacking abilities, then he would have spent his career in the Premier League rather than in League One with Tranmere? Seriously?!

He was absolutely rancid in his first year. Bristol City at home gives me nightmares still. Last year he was my POTY. This year i'm abit 50/50, whilst he's still pretty solid he is getting caught out more but that was always going to be the case. Picked him up a few seasons too late.

Think its time for him to go, we were after Cresswell who signed for Ipswich, Id like us to sign someone pretty young still, Paul Dixon who plays for Huddesfield is pretty good, he's 25 or 26, looks pretty solid, been capped for Scotland 3 times and his playing style is pretty similar to Brayford: not afraid to get the ball into the box, great crossing. I watched I couple of Dundee matches back in 2011 and he was pretty great.

It's a shame about Roberts because he's been pretty good for us, but yeah he's lost sharpness which is down to age mainly, he's always been very reliable I would argue in previous seasons but he's been making more mistakes on the ball and he looks more tired this season. Shame. But check out Dixon, he'd be a good replacement and I'm sure the fee for him was like £500,000, and with Roberts leaving potentially that could free up some wages.

Sorry, I have to come back to this. Are really saying that if he had more attacking abilities, then he would have spent his career in the Premier League rather than in League One with Tranmere? Seriously?!

Why not? Yes. Look, there are a lot of good footballers out there who can do damage in a game. The way to counter them is to pick good defenders who keep their position and tackle well. This is a full-back's first job. If they can attack as well - great. Those who do have both elements go far is all I'm saying. We've had people like Moxey in the past who could fly down the wing, but crumpled under pressure . Give me Roberts every time. If you have a poor defender they have to contribute a goal a game to compensate.

Think its time for him to go, we were after Cresswell who signed for Ipswich, Id like us to sign someone pretty young still, Paul Dixon who plays for Huddesfield is pretty good, he's 25 or 26, looks pretty solid, been capped for Scotland 3 times and his playing style is pretty similar to Brayford: not afraid to get the ball into the box, great crossing. I watched I couple of Dundee matches back in 2011 and he was pretty great.

It's a shame about Roberts because he's been pretty good for us, but yeah he's lost sharpness which is down to age mainly, he's always been very reliable I would argue in previous seasons but he's been making more mistakes on the ball and he looks more tired this season. Shame. But check out Dixon, he'd be a good replacement and I'm sure the fee for him was like £500,000, and with Roberts leaving potentially that could free up some wages.

We were after Dixon when Huddersfield got him. Don't know why we didnt bid for him but he looks like a good player. Cant see Hudders wanting to let him go though.

Not such a stupid thing to say, I can imagine in his younger days he would have been even better defensively. You don't have to be amazing to play in the Prem but you can't have any glaring weaknesses in your game either. But Tony Hibbert proves the average fullback can survive in the top flight,

Many supposedly talented wingers struggle against Roberts. We concede far more through the middle and from set pieces than we do the left, and maybe even the right.

As I say, when Roberts went out, it shows how much we miss him defensively. He's not great shakes and sometimes puts in rancid performances but people get sucked into the fact he runs wierdly and looks 60, but he's better than he looks.

[

[/quote

Tony hibbert has only appeared 5 times for Everton this season.

Lol your picture is the Duracell bunny.

Not such a stupid thing to say, I can imagine in his younger days he would have been even better defensively. You don't have to be amazing to play in the Prem but you can't have any glaring weaknesses in your game either. But Tony Hibbert proves the average fullback can survive in the top flight,

Many supposedly talented wingers struggle against Roberts. We concede far more through the middle and from set pieces than we do the left, and maybe even the right.

As I say, when Roberts went out, it shows how much we miss him defensively. He's not great shakes and sometimes puts in rancid performances but people get sucked into the fact he runs wierdly and looks 60, but he's better than he looks.

He's solid most of the time, we look better with him than with O'Connor and probably Freeman and Hoganson aren't quite up to it yet. Important to remember that it isn't always anyone's 'fault' when the opposition score. Quite often with us it's a number of smaller errors leading to a goal or just decent play by the opposition.

Left back is certainly one area where we need one of the youngsters to step up or buy in some quality for next season because I can see Roberts hanging up his boots.

all of forests breaks and chances came from us giving the ball away by making silly decisions on the edge of their area. two passes later and they have a chance on goal. The goal was a mixture of typical forest luck and bad defending in the box. Roberts did his job by stopping sharp from picking out a pass, it was a hit and hope cross.

Having Brayford on the other side will make anyone look bad...

Roberts has been one of the most consistent perfomers over the last 2 seasons and has made a lot less mistakes than 90% of the resty of the players...

Blaming him for the goal on saturday shows a profound misunderstanding of football...

Archived