time for roberts to go?

shannonjade

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to think that too, but it would rather depend on us have a left-back to replace him with. Not a problem if we're winning by a cricket score, but will just give the anti-clough lot something to moan about when Hoganson comes on and fals over allowing Milwall to get a 93rd minute winner

I'm cringing at all these 'lets give him a great send off', 'make it a special day for him etc.' comments. He is average at best and has made no significant contribution to the team in his 3 years here. If you all want to celebrate averageness fine, but I won't. Look out for me on Saturday I'll be the one sitting down when he is getting a standing ovation.

I'm cringing at all these 'lets give him a great send off', 'make it a special day for him etc.' comments. He is average at best and has made no significant contribution to the team in his 3 years here. If you all want to celebrate averageness fine, but I won't. Look out for me on Saturday I'll be the one sitting down when he is getting a standing ovation.

it may be his last game in Professional football so I don't care if he is not a great player. A player who has played that many games and has been a good role model for everyone at the club and in football should be the one that gets a standing ovation.  He has always given his best, even if his best has not been good enough and I am not going to be petty and say because he is average he does not deserve a send off. He has had a good solid career playing over 600 games and if that does not deserve a standing ovation, then what does?

Agreed, if we are drawing with 10 mins to go, I want an attacking sub (which might mean taking Roberts off though).

If he has been released, I presume he won't be at the game this weekend, so a round of applause would be an odd one.

He was an incredibly consistent player, my player of the year for the season before (well, next to Shackell anyway) and general good guy. Dependable. Every squad needs a player like that in the side, someone who will come in and give you 7/10 every game in a spot.

He was an excellent signing. Had a dodgy first six months but levelled out after that and was well worth whatever the pittance we were paying him was.

If he has been released, I presume he won't be at the game this weekend, so a round of applause would be an odd one.

He was an incredibly consistent player, my player of the year for the season before (well, next to Shackell anyway) and general good guy. Dependable. Every squad needs a player like that in the side, someone who will come in and give you 7/10 every game in a spot.

He was an excellent signing. Had a dodgy first six months but levelled out after that and was well worth whatever the pittance we were paying him was.

He isn't being released. Just out of contract and will be let go when his contract expires.

He isn't being released. Just out of contract and will be let go when his contract expires.

Might just be the BBC with shoddy reporting then but they write, and I quote, "Derby County have released left-back Gareth Roberts after three seasons with the Championship club."

Seems to suggest he has already gone.

think he deserves a good send-off.

Quite simply, we've been burdened with many players in recent years who've 'gone thru the motions' and seemingly not put much more effort in than turning up and collecting their wages. Roberts however, regardless of talent, speed and ability, has NEVER in my opinion, shirked his responsibility to the club and fans. I've never heard anyone call him lazy. Maybe we signed him a few years too late in his career, but fair play, he's never lacked the motivation or dedication and I think he can hold his head high, whereas there are plenty that could hang their heads in shame.

I think he's going back to Tranmere.

Good luck Gareth.

There's a really nice interview with Gareth on Ramsplayer. It get's a bit emotional in places and he's definitely a bit squeaky voiced at times.

I don't think he was ready to leave.

I hope he gets a great send off and gets himself fixed up as quickly as possible. A tremendous pro and seemingly a nice bloke.

Archived