Derby County v Hull City

froggg

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, statistically if both teams scored 100% of their shots on target, derby would have won 8 - 2. I hope hull do get promoted, they might actually get less than our record of 11 points in a season.

Derby didn't take their chances, which is exactly my point. If you're not good enough to take your chances, you ain't good enough to win the match.

I don't think that points record will ever be beaten, to be honest 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

my largest concern is that we have been beaten by two teams this season, and they are the only two teams that have actually come for a draw. all of the teams that tried to beat us at home have lost....

Which tells me that Brucey got his tactics spot on, and that what you call "playing for a draw" was in fact "soaking up the home side's inevitable pressure and utilising the counter-attacking capabilities of our players". Cloughie got outdone. Derby got outdone. You need to learn to take defeat on the chin, mate.

Why have people got a gripe with 4-5-1 tonight?

Would it have made a difference tonight? We couldn't handle their midfield with an extra man so why would you expect a better outcome with one less midfielder?!

**** excuses.

Beaten by a better team. Huffed and puffed, couldn't get through a very organised team. They didn't come for a draw, they got the lead twice and sat back after taking it both times. They came out in the second half firing on all cylinders, got the goal and saw the game out. Perfect away performance.

Just got back, I'm not cross I'm just disappointed....

It just didn't click, Hull knew what they were doing and we didn't.

I thought we'd come out all guns blazing second half but we didn't.

I had a feeling we'd beat them but we didn't.

Missed 15 minutes due to queuing at the ticket office with lots of season ticketers moaning and kicking off, what was going on?

Hopefully all the scouts were watching Hughes tonight. Should scare em off for a few months. My thoughts on the game are: when that mist descended i thought the world was gonna end.

I suppose someone needs to start the 'is this our year for relegation' thread any takers??

We need 42 points to make the 75..

So roughly 12 wins, 6 draws and 5 losses from the remaining 23 games..

With 11 at home and 12 away..

If we continue our away record of 1 point a game then we need a home record of W 10 D 0 L 1 of the remaining 11.. I big improvement is needed.. I'm not ruling it out, miracles can happen, but the odds are against us..

We need to maintain or improve our home record.. For example ideally we need to win 8 of the remaining 11 home games and 4 of the remaining 12 away games but throw in around 4 draws too..

A home record of 8-2-1 and an away record of 4-4-4 would be enough for 75 points.. Possible? We need improvements home and away..

But in your theory, dont Millwall and a lot of teams also have to pull off a similar run of results? As we are only four points off the play-offs at the moment, with a lot of teams either one point above or below us? The table, as it stands tonight, shows us 4 points off 6th place (itll probably be 6 or 7 by this time tomorrow) but if we keep within that grasp then we stand as good a chance as about 10 clubs. If Derby need to pick up 75 points (which isnt guaranteed), then that is three more wins than the first half of the season. I would consider a stronger second half of the season would be needed by any side looking to finish in the top six, so I dont think we can sit here now and say its impossible? As fans, we look at football game by game, and as Derby are still in the play off areas at the mid way point I think its more a positive than a negative (aside a frustrating performance tonight!)

Sometimes, football can be so unnecessarily over-complicated.

Legzdins - 6. Didn't have all that much to do, 2 on target, 2 in the net. Distribution ok.

Brayford - 5. Poor for me, didn't seem to have the desire tonight, no byline runs, very little link up with Coutts, partly at fault for their first.

O'Connor - 6. Did a solid job, I don't quite see what problem there is with him at CB.

Keogh - 6. Not a lot done wrong.

Roberts - 7. Mr Reliable, I thought he was one of the better players on the pitch tonight.

Coutts - 6. Seemed to wander aimlessly in order to pick the ball up, but always attempted to get the ball moving forward.

Jacobs - 5. Good goal, and a close effort that won the corner, but sh*te otherwise, always ran into trouble.

Hendrick - 6. Very quiet, but steady.

Hughes - 6 Wasn't his usual self. I think he needs a couple of games rest, but some good tackles. Retreated so far second half he was nearly playing CB.

Bryson - 7. Full of running as ever, seemed frustrated that nothing was opening up for him, seemed to me to be the only one attempting to get anywhere near Sammon from the knockdowns.

Sammon. 5. Didn't win much in the air, couldn't knock it down to anyone, lacked any penetration going forward.

To all those who didn't go don't let the stats fool you - alot of our possession was just knocking it around the back four and playing patterns in midfield that too often ended in squandering possession. I'm afraid tactics played a major part tonight, we lacked a cutting edge and once they scored their second and shut up shop, we desperately needed another striker to play alongside Sammon. Why Nigel left it til 75 mins only he will know, but in that sense we contributed to our own downfall.

Hull were well drilled, well organised, played some decent football and had too much for us on the night. Whilst the first half was pretty even, and entertaining, after the break we barely threatened their goal and for the first time recently at home we just petered out and ran out of ideas. I'm not going to criticise the players too much, they tried their best. They needed some help from the manager tonight when things weren't happening for them, but didn't really get it.

Spot on.

Our formation also allowed them to play with three at the back comfortably. Sammon was crowded out of the game and they matched us man for man in midfield. Effectivly, they had a free man whenever they won the ball and were able to press whenever they didn't. Also, Sammon's lack of pace let them play a really high line and crowd the midfield further.

If we'd have had two strikers from the start, Hull would have had a far less comfortable game.

On the game, Hull were probably the most organised team I'd seen this season. They often had 10 men behind the ball and didnt let Derby have any space, so I say they had done their homework. I think they played how you would like to see Derby play away from home, difficult to break down and able to nick a goal on the break. They also made the right fouls at the right time (when Derby were pressing) and won free kicks at the right time (again when Derby were in control of the game) I think we gave them too much respect and our inexperience showed at times. We could have nicked a goal at the end but it wasnt be, think we could have gone for it more.

One thing I will say is I think Derby scored at the wrong time tonight. I think we would have had momentum if half time hadnt come and found more space in their third. As it went they had half time to re-organise and re-think.

Derby kinda reminded me of Swansea from a few seasons back, before promotion. In that a team happy to keep the ball around the half way line but no attacking threat.

Derby manager Nigel Clough: "We're delighted with it [the display] again, we can't ask for any more effort from the players. It's not just effort as well, they are playing some great stuff at times.

"He [goalscorer Michael Jacobs] looked a threat when he was on the pitch and it's good to see him grow, along with the other young players like Jeff Hendrick and Will Hughes. Hopefully they will continue to grow together.

"Hull will be right up there come the end of the season and that's why we are so pleased with how we played against them, there was nothing between the two teams tonight."

Was he watching the same game? :S

Derby manager Nigel Clough: "We're delighted with it [the display] again, we can't ask for any more effort from the players. It's not just effort as well, they are playing some great stuff at times.

"He [goalscorer Michael Jacobs] looked a threat when he was on the pitch and it's good to see him grow, along with the other young players like Jeff Hendrick and Will Hughes. Hopefully they will continue to grow together.

"Hull will be right up there come the end of the season and that's why we are so pleased with how we played against them, there was nothing between the two teams tonight."

Was he watching the same game? :S

You should always take what a manager says with a pinch of salt..

Much of the time it's to protect the players, or a way to motivate.. Many times Real Madrid have played amazing but Mourinho blasts them, yet Callejon has a mare and he's praised..

It's not the first time NC has either praised or blasted a player/team just to motivate them.. Sometimes it's completely from the truth but it's necessary for man management..

We've seen how bad Connor Sammon has been in a few games but NC hasn't said a bad thing about him so far.. Yet he's been overly harsh on others (Theo) just to get a reaction..

You should always take what a manager says with a pinch of salt..

Much of the time it's to protect the players, or a way to motivate.. Many times Real Madrid have played amazing but Mourinho blasts them, yet Callejon has a mare and he's praised..

It's not the first time NC has either praised or blasted a player/team just to motivate them.. Sometimes it's completely from the truth but it's necessary for man management..

We've seen how bad Connor Sammon has been in a few games but NC hasn't said a bad thing about him so far.. Yet he's been overly harsh on others (Theo) just to get a reaction..

There's taking it with a pinch of salt.. This needs a salt mine.

Proof positive that we are not good enough for the top six. We haven't beaten anyone up there all season. Midtable fodder now and for years at this rate.

I brought this point up after we played Blackpool. You say we haven't beaten any teams in the top 6, but how many teams aren't in the top 6 because of us beating them?

Why have people got a gripe with 4-5-1 tonight?

Would it have made a difference tonight? We couldn't handle their midfield with an extra man so why would you expect a better outcome with one less midfielder?!

**** excuses.

Beaten by a better team. Huffed and puffed, couldn't get through a very organised team. They didn't come for a draw, they got the lead twice and sat back after taking it both times. They came out in the second half firing on all cylinders, got the goal and saw the game out. Perfect away performance.

I think we vary on the perfect away performance.. I'd call the perfect away performance going to somewhere like Hillsborough, dominating from the off, cutting their defence to ribbons and running out 2-5 winners..

I don't call sitting back on slight 1 goal lead and soaking up pressure and gifting the opposition the ball because of the mentality 'we don't need to score again' as the perfect away performance..

But that's just me

Archived