Gareth Roberts - Replacement when the time comes

ChaddesdenRam

Do you think that we should look to purchase a left back in January and give the player the back end of this season to settle in and provide a transition between the player and Roberts. Or should we wait til the end of the season and buy a left back then that will go straight into the team??

Personally i would risk waiting until the end of the season as we may need to prioritise funds for other areas. Perhaps we could get a Bosman free as well. BTW this is all given that Roberts does retire at the end of the season.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would rather have a natural left back then Freeman.

I'll buy one at the end of the season.

You'll buy one at the end of the season? Well I guess all of us will owe you some kind of thanks, although I think you should speak with the club and Nigel before committing to finance a move for a new leftback.

This is his swansong season before he makes a big-money move to the MLS to finish his playing days. They love the big names over there.

I hope that Hoganson is part of the solution. It's fair to say that the LB position is one of Clough's finer achievments. Since I've been going to the football, there hasn't really been one player who's made that position his own before him, and I don't think there's an area on the pitch that's seen so much inconsistency. Roberts has been a decent servent for us.

My guess is we'll probably get someone a bit more attacking minded, and more of a footballer. After Clough dismantled Jewell's team we were left primarily with a bunch of cheap "triers", but it seems they are now gradually being replaced with players of more serious quality. Coutts is an improvement on Green, Jacobs is an improvement on Ben Pringle, Hendrick an improvement on Savage, Hughes an improvement on Ben Davies. All of them offer more quality and have more to their game than those who have been phased out.

The rumour that we were in for Aidan White backs this up. I'm certain Clough won't be looking for a like-for-like steady eddy.

He was also after that lad from Crewe (Kelvin Mellor) was it but that all fell through. If he sees Freeman as the replacement it seems strange he has him at right midfield in a recent u-21 game. So I think the jury is still out but for sure an understudy / replacement needs to be identified as I don't think ROberts can go another season as the starter

Freeman i believe will be used for back up for Brayford, I don't think he's naturally a left back, but I wouldn't be surprised to see us go after someone similar to Freeman, who can attack, as well as defend- ala John Brayford

Didn't the other clubs he went on loan to say he was best at leftback for them?

Archived