Why should I support Derby County?

UNDECIDED

Hi all,

A genuine post made with sincerity and honesty.

I've recently relocated to Breaston, near Long Eaton, with my wife of two years and our beautiful daughter. This is her neck of the woods and, since I've been able to find work in the area, it made sense that we move closer to her folks.

I'm originally from Peterlee in the north-east of England and watched the occasional Hartlepool United or Sunderland game (but never anything like consistently and certainly would never call myself a supporter.)

I miss my football like mad though, and since a few fellas at work have been trying to get me to come to see Derby, I'm really tempted.

I've been here for around 5 months now and it really feels like home. I can't see us moving away from the area and I reckon here is where we will spend the rest of our lives. In that case, I really want to feel a part of the local area.

I know you can't just adopt a football team and I'm sure a few of you will dismiss this out of hand, but if I'm going to build a life for myself here, I may as well commit myself wholeheartedly!

But, please tell, what do you love about your club?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't tell you what it is about Derby very easily, and I know lots of people who also can't tell you what it is about Norwich, but with both clubs, your first visit to them is very rarely your last.

It's the most fustrating part of my life, but often the most rewarding.

It's true, the atmosphere is sometimes dire - but that's modern football for you.

There'll be Tuesday nights on a miserably cold night in the depth of a long bleak winter against an opponent you know virtually nothing about, but you'll be completely sucked in to something that's not ordinary life for 90 minutes. There'll be games against Leeds or Forest where you feel like you are at the place to be in the country on that day. There'll also be utterly dire home games against Ssausagehorpe. But that's what you'll sign up for, probably from the first moment you walk in to Pride Park.

Well, we're a young, hungry team that sometimes lacks quality or class but more than makes up for it with graft and heart. We have a great history, a great stadium that can be rocking at certain games and one of the best rivalries in English football today. You'd also struggle to find a set of more passionate and, on the whole, nicer fans. Anything else? 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

Tbh, it sounds like your a football fan, not a Sunderland/Hartlepool/Derby fan, and there nothing wrong with that, by the sounds of it you could be as happy watching some Derby, some forest games, and some notts county games. I guess your misses doesn't support a team or she would of influenced you. What about your little girl? Does she like football? I would go to a couple of games and see how you feel about it.

So, you are from Peterlee? I got friends up there, also my name is Peter Lee lol

It depends entirely on your metabolism.. if you are 'easily led' stay away,

are you addicted to drink, drugs, smoker etc?

do you 'fall in love' easily ?

can you afford to give up your weekends and evenings ?

you may think these 'fellas at work' are friends, but, are they trying to lead you astray ?

all these points should be carefully considered before setting foot inside PridePark,

'A Hard Habit To Break'..as the Eagles say..

You shouldn't..

You should stick to being just a football fan and being entertained on a Saturday by what's on the box..

Not at the morgue known as Pride Park watching the equivelant of paint dry..

I say! That's a bit harsh. We are a club who makes the best of what we have available. We have a team which is competitive in pretty much every league game. Sure, we may not have great, exciting strikers, but we have a lot of young talent. As for the atmosphere, who's responsible for that? We all are. I have sat at Pride Park in silence, absorbed by the game, so I am just as much to blame as anyone else. I think the club needs to work on ways to encourage more noise from the moment we arrive at the ground and could hand out stuff to kids. Only we can create noise. I don't blame the team for not creating excitement. Fact is, we're even quiet when we score.

Because you've settled into Derbyshire already. You will have noticed the down to earth openess of the people. Clearly, that atmoshere suits you - you are already an honourary Derby lad.

When you start to go regularly to Pride Park you will notice that openess magnified many times. But on top of that there are many other things that you will get from being a Derby fan. When things go well there is a fantastic camaraderie - when things go badly there is, arguably, even more. We can out-moan any other fanbase. Yet in good times or bad, we always (well usually) retain the dry sense of humour that typifies the city.

The main point about supporting Derby is that you never quite know what will happen next. We rarely do mid-table. We're either brilliant or rubbish. Just at this moment we are bucking that trend an appear to be an average team. To me, that shouts that a big suprise is just around the corner. Promotion, relegation, bankruptcy, takeover, the imprisonment of the whole first team squad money laundering - at Derby all things are possible. Supporting Derby is a fascinating roller coaster that will bring you pain, pleasure, entertainment and some brilliant mates.

Go and support one of the local non league clubs, they need your support more than we do and you'll feel far more part of the club.

You'll be able to dream of getting into the football league, knowing you've been there since they were miles away from doing it. It wont cost you as much as well.

I guess you're a mardy sort, like to throw your hands up in the air when the wind strokes your leg. Maybe you like throwing your money away? At people?

Cheerio, enjoy your bitterness.

Nice to see the expats supporting our club, I guess when you leave the country you leave everything. Maybe they should sod off n'all.

I don't get it. You posted exactly the same post on two different forums, buy just switched which team a few of the blokes from work support?

Why can't you make your own decision rather than going with whoever bullshitted about there club the most?

If you've lived up north and haven't been tempted by Sunderland you won't stick around with derby or forest for long.

Archived