Please don't bring fielding back in

rammieib

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still think Fielding is a better keeper, but for the the team, for Lego and for Fielding its important that Lego carrys on in goal. If fielding goes back in what message does that send to Lego and fielding? Lego was MOTM, bar a few miss kicks, solid proformance and a clean sheet.

He was unlucky to lose his place last time.

Don't mind either of them. Give it time and Lego will start sticking on his goal line. I think it's something they're told. Seems odd that Fielding has almost entirely different behaviour from when he first came.

Maybe it's a symptom of the sitting back we did last season. If the defence us so deep then the box gets crowded and the keeper can't always see a way to get to the cross

Against Forest he can and claimed a few crosses and long balls but the defense had held a high line which allowed him a clear route to the ball in an uncluttered box

Is this the same Fielding that produced a fantastic save in the dying minutes against Forest denying them a draw?

Competition is great and it can only help Fielding having a number 2 keeping clean sheets but that's what Legzdins is; a number 2.

Fielding has his failings but he is our most reliable goalkeeper since Poom from what I have seen.

Is this the same Fielding that produced a fantastic save in the dying minutes against Forest denying them a draw?

Competition is great and it can only help Fielding having a number 2 keeping clean sheets but that's what Legzdins is; a number 2.

Fielding has his failings but he is our most reliable goalkeeper since Poom from what I have seen.

Wow, our goal keeper made a saver which I'd expect a non league keeper to save, so what?

It's also the same Fielding that gave Boro there first goal on Wednesday.

Leggy has looked solid every time he's played imo, looks far more commanding and in control of his box than Fielding does. Which, to be honest, is all you want in a keeper these days, every keeper in the country is a good shot stopper now, it's the other stuff that separates the best from the average.

Of course there are exceptions, like Joe Hart is an exceptional shot stopper, but you get my point.

Its an odd one, having not seen the game, was Legzdins really good enough to demand selection, did he really make numerous game changing saves or command the box in a game changing way? Frank is our number one as it stands and even if he misses the odd game letting Legzdins have a chance, surely unless he's absolutely exceptional its still Frank's spot.

In a word Albert Yes

He made at least two great saves that I thought were certain goals I would say Frankie may have pulled them off but he's injured and Lego made them.

Hmmm... in that case Nigel certainly has a decision to make. The question then is who is the better keeper and who will be the better keeper. On form Frank is a damn good keeper at this level, but that said he has been prone to some poor form. A clean sheet and good performance from Legz might just warrant another shot there though...

Isn't it nice for it to be a real dilemma...

The break has come at a bad time fr Lego because Frank will probably be fit in 2 weeks. He deserves to keep his spot IMO and it will be harsh if he's dropped it will also I think affect the mindset of the players. Lego comes in plays well loses his spot perhaps he will feel like he can never get a good spell of games under his belt. Whereas frankie who has been poor at times is just given his place back which could lead to complacency.

Not trying to be argumentative here but I thought that save was bread and butter stuff and the kind of save any goalie at a certain level would be expected to keep out.

It looks to me (on telly admittedly) like Frankie isn't as commanding as he could be and that could do with addressing.

Moving slightly on....tell you what drives me mad, people/pundits that say "He's a good shot stopper" when talking about a goalie......SHOT STOPPING IS A BASIC REQIUREMENT OF BEING A CHUFFIN' GOALKEEPER FFS http://cursors3.totallyfreecursors.com/thumbnails/banghead

Sorry 'bout that, just got up and appear to have put my grumpy pants on today. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />

There are keepers who are commanding but aren't great shot stoppers you know. In the same manner there are defenders who aren't great at marking but are master tacklers, or strikers who are terrible at finishing but know how to be in the right place at the right time. Just saying that a keeper should save a shot is one thing, them actually doing so is another. It was a damn good save against Forest to deny Gillett (?) and we shouldn't deny Fielding the praise deserved for it.

Not trying to be argumentative here but I thought that save was bread and butter stuff and the kind of save any goalie at a certain level would be expected to keep out.

It looks to me (on telly admittedly) like Frankie isn't as commanding as he could be and that could do with addressing.

Moving slightly on....tell you what drives me mad, people/pundits that say "He's a good shot stopper" when talking about a goalie......SHOT STOPPING IS A BASIC REQIUREMENT OF BEING A CHUFFIN' GOALKEEPER FFS http://cursors3.totallyfreecursors.com/thumbnails/banghead

Sorry 'bout that, just got up and appear to have put my grumpy pants on today. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />

No need to be sorry Herts. I see exactly where you're coming from. Legzdins has done very well on the occasions he has played and that is great. We have two steady keepers and we need that competition for places.

Having said Fielding was the most reliable keeper since Poom, I still don't think he is anywhere even close to Pooms level. He looks a little lightweight to me and doesn't command his area. Then there is the question of his distribution.

When we bought him, he soon forced himself into England recognition but his modest form have seen him completely drop off the radar. Like most (all) of our players, he is no better than an average championship player.

On the shot stopper annoyance of yours.....Well, I see where you're coming from and it's usually used to describe a keeper that has other inaduquaicies. I remember many Derby fans describing Roy Carrol as a good shot stopper. I've never quite understood it. Many used to say that Ashley Cole in his early days was a good left back as he bombed forward but he wasn't great as he couldn't defend. How can you play a guy in defence that can't defend? Maybe it's the same thing.

I'd keep Legz, Fielding isn't as good as Clough makes him out to be. Competition for places is good. I don't get why Clough bought in Legz if he isn't prepared to give him a go, it's not like he was on the cheap side was it?

I used to think it was fairer to keep a player in the side if they are given a chance and play well but recently I realised that we've been doing that for a few years now and got nowhere.... If we are going to be competitive then we should play our best 11. Frankie's better than Legzdins, so I'll be a bit disappointed if when Frankie's groin is back to greatness he's on the bench.

Nothing wrong with either of them, both decent from what I've seen. So if and when the time comes that Frankie's form slips or he's making regular mistakes, then Adam should get the nod otherwise stick to plan a.

Anyway in Clough we trust, he knows best.

Archived