Could Coutts learn from Alan Hinton?

Brammie Steve

Eight poor corners in one match.

I don't think Alan Hinton had eight poor corners in 9 seasons at Derby!

You can't blame the pace of the modern game:

You can't blame the weight of a modern ball.

Imagine if Alan Hinton had centred those corners which Coutts made a hash of.

I reckon we would have had all three points against Boro.

Perhaps he should study Gladys's technique.

What do you reckon?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hinton was one of the best ever crosses of the ball. His dead ball stuff was amazing and had nearly as hard a shot as Peter Lorimer of Leeds. Best winger I have saw was Georgie Best followed closely by Ian Storey Moore who Brian Clough paraded around Baseball ground but he signed for Man U from Forest.

Yep, I was at that match. Later saw Ian on one wing whilst a certain Kevin Hector played on the other for non-league Burton Albion. Big crowds at Eton Park that season I kin tell thee!

Apparently the dead ball speed was 72 MPH Lorimer followed by 70MPH Hinton!

Makes Jim Montgomery's save which gave the FA Cup to Div 2 for Sunderland vs Leeds even more remarkable.

(I watched them bring the cup back. Ah memories!)

Saw Besty a few times... natural genius!

Hinton was one of the best ever crosses of the ball. His dead ball stuff was amazing and had nearly as hard a shot as Peter Lorimer of Leeds. Best winger I have saw was Georgie Best followed closely by Ian Storey Moore who Brian Clough paraded around Baseball ground but he signed for Man U from Forest.

I was there that day, the signing was broadcast live on ITV's On The Ball which was quite a big deal back in the day.

Hinton was quality, I still remember in particular two screamers he scored against Everton...happy days.

I noticed against Burnley that Coutts was trying to pick Sammon out with near post corners and managed it 3 times, but each header went high or wide. Maybe his inability to beat the first man harks back to this.

Gladys was a brilliant header of the ball too.. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' />

I was with Steve that day too..most embarrassing..

(not being with Steve, the Storey-Moore debacle)..

Right on both counts bruv! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

Cost Cloughie yet another fine from the FA too.

Coutts was singled out for being poor at corners at PNE as well... It's definitely a technique issue, you've got to make the ball work for you, Jacobs during he Ssausagehorpe game got it spot on.

Would like to seen Hughes have a couple of corners, never going to score a header so give him am effort.

Would like to seen Hughes have a couple of corners, never going to score a header so give him am effort.

Didn't Hughes take a couple on his debut v P'Boro? Just dropped them in? No whizz, fizz, spin and drive. Just put it up there to be attacked?

Proper corner.

Eight poor corners in one match.

I don't think Alan Hinton had eight poor corners in 9 seasons at Derby!

You can't blame the pace of the modern game:

You can't blame the weight of a modern ball.

Imagine if Alan Hinton had centred those corners which Coutts made a hash of.

I reckon we would have had all three points against Boro.

Perhaps he should study Gladys's technique.

What do you reckon?

David Beckham could have learnt from Alan Hinton let alone Paul Coutts!.

Its an unfair comparison. Hinton was a better crosser of the ball with either foot than Beckham was with his right. If you remember Steve, Gladys used to torture the right back then cut in and smash a right footer into the roof of the net.

He was nicknamed Gladys cos he would always chicken out of a challenge but his shooting and crossing accuracy would make him a £30m player today.

In the first few games of the season there was a hell of a lot of dead balls that got us goals- including corners. Keogh and bucko are the men to latch on to them. We just need to repeat that type of delivery. Coutts' general play is excellent, and i'm sure his kick taking from corners will come to him sooner rather than later.

David Beckham could have learnt from Alan Hinton let alone Paul Coutts!.

Its an unfair comparison. Hinton was a better crosser of the ball with either foot than Beckham was with his right. If you remember Steve, Gladys used to torture the right back then cut in and smash a right footer into the roof of the net.

He was nicknamed Gladys cos he would always chicken out of a challenge but his shooting and crossing accuracy would make him a £30m player today.

My bro (who, though younger than me, has supported the Rams for longer) told me that it was due to the way he always patted his hair back into place. He always looked immaculate and I must admit I never recall seeing him in a dirty shirt like Mackay, or with his shirt out like Kevin.

His skill at being in the right place at the right time led to loads of goals and his positioning made even Beckham seem amateurish.

I recall being at a Rams vs Sportswriter's XI cricket match and one player asked another "Where's Alan?" The reply was, He's gone off to sulk, he thinks he shouldn't have been given out!" Seriously competitive or what?

I don't blame him not liking challenges; legs break too easily for my liking too.

Archived