Huddersfield Town v Derby County

froggg

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a possibility but surely if that was the case it would make a mockery of Clough's philosophy of players earning their place. You cannot have a player in the team because he's from the U.S. And from what everyone says Clough would not put up with that kind of meddling from the owners.

I don't think his nationality is the answer. I think Clough rates him for some reason that we cannot see. I honestly feel Ben Davies would have offered us more yesterday, I don't particularly rate him, but he seems to have become the forgotten man. I wonder why?

I think it's just the owner's fault - can't blame Clough. It's not his responsibility to pick the team.

Where's that 'roll eyes' smiley...

Confidence? Thats not his problem. It a lack of any ability whatsoever.

Fans chanting alleluya when he was subbed says it all really.

We really are barking up a blind alley with this one.

Confdence is a severe problem for him. Actually watch him during a game, he is scared to show for the ball and when he does get it he wants rid as soon as possible. Classic traits of a player who expects his own fans to boo him.

At U21, reserve team and international level this guy has proved himself to be competent enough to be challenging for a place in a team like ours.

Unfortunately, as is often the case, one bad game last season has left him as a scapegoat every time he plays.

That said I thought he was poor yesterday.

GboroRam, of course it's Clough's responsibility to pick the team. However the playing budget is the owner's responsibility and this leaves Clough short of quality and experience. His choices are mostly lower league, young and inexperienced at this level.

He said the reason he pcked him was to not disrupt the rest of the team. If he had decided to play Jacobs or Theo he would have had to move Hughes or Ward to a different position, and didn't want to do that as we've been playing well with the players in their current positions.

GboroRam, of course it's Clough's responsibility to pick the team. However the playing budget is the owner's responsibility and this leaves Clough short of quality and experience. His choices are mostly lower league, young and inexperienced at this level.

So why bring up an accusation that Doyle's selection is being forced on the manager by the owners? And offer not one scintilla of evidence to back it up?

He said the reason he pcked him was to not disrupt the rest of the team. If he had decided to play Jacobs or Theo he would have had to move Hughes or Ward to a different position, and didn't want to do that as we've been playing well with the players in their current positions.

I don't buy that excuse for a second.

Doyle was playing out of position as he is not a right mid/winger, so you could have put anyone in that position as they would all have been out of position.

Jacobs can play on either wing, he did it for Northampton so it wouldn't be a problem if he had been brought in. Tyson has played there for us and I've mentioned him on another post but Ben Davies would probably have been the right selection. There's 3 better options and took me 10 seconds to think of them.

Let's get this right. If Clough comes out and says a player has done badly and publicly has a go he is a rubbish manager, will never get the best out of a player, no way to treat a player, keep it in the dressing room etc. but when fans either boo or cheer a young player off that is ok.

Kettle - Pot - Black......Put 'em in order!

Hi, Town fan here. I thought we were the better team first half, played the better stuff without really creating any clearcut chances (apart from the goal which was well taken). 2nd half for 30 mins or so you were the better team, played the better stuff without really creating any chances. Prob one of those where we'll feel we deserved the win but you'll prob feel you could've got a point.

I was impressed with Ward (well i think it was ward, little fella on the left wing?) looks very tricky. Can see him causing some problems for defences this season. Was a good battle with our RB Jack Hunt (someone we've high hopes for).

To be honest i think most of us at the moment are just happy to be out of that bloody awful league 1 and happy that, on the back of the first 5 games, we look more than good enough to stay up (especially with a fair bit of money to spend in Jan i would imagine).

Just about calmed down now...

Yesterday was a massive waste of time for me - can't remember one shot on target, a hopelessly unbalanced team, ridiculous substitutions & all in front of our biggest away following in Yorkshire for a couple of years

Ratings;

Fielding - 6 nothing to do apart from pick ball out of the net & one shot in first half

Brayford - 5 poor crossing & generally anonymous

Roberts - 5 poor crossing & totally out of position for the goal

O'Connor 6 - OK but looks bit small for CB for my liking

Keogh 8 - excellent, looked a class above anyone else in black today

Hendrick 6 - anonymous, poor distribution

Bryson 5 - I like the lad, his attitude & his workrate but he lacks quality for me

Hughes 7 - and this lad needs to play CM instead, vision, touch & technique above anything we have in midfield. Never is a left sided midfielder though

Doyle 6 - it wasnt his fault we lost but he is nowhere near good enough to play at this level

Sammon 6 - no service to him whatsoever

Ward 4 - dreadful. Poor service all day from him, seemed to want to beat a man 17 times then overhit the ball, smash it into the first man...

Clough 1 - dreadful, what does Conor Doyle offer this team? Why is our best central midfielder playing on the left wing? Why take off Sammon for Robinson when chasing a win with 5/10 mins to go? Basic stuff

The fans 8 - we were great. Noisy, there in decent numbers & generally positive (I think the Doyle stuff was mostly good humoured) - we deserve better than having to support that shower

Bottom line - Huddersfield will be bottom 6 in this division & we should be looking to put teams like that away. A massive missed opportunity for me with the negative mindset of Clough & team setup. To not even compete, to not even have one (meaningful) shot on target against a very ordinary team is just unbelievable.

Actually I lied, I've not calmed down at all...

Ah, how childish. I'm done with this conversation pal.

Why is that childish?

You have probably seen Doyle play 3 or 4 matches and have decided he is not good enough and we should get rid of him.

Yesterday he was booed throughout, then cheered of the pitch yet other players do not get the same treatment. I think Hendrick was our worst player yesterday, why the fans not calling for him to be subbed?

I enjoy posting on message boards, and I recently switched to here when the old SSA had some technical issues.

There's much more traffic on here, and so a wider range of opinion I guess.

Having read the comments above though, I actually despair. This isn't a particularly or unusually bad thread and I kind of accept that there are some extremely cluless people in the world, but seeing it in black and white is pretty depressing. I'm going to quit reading and posting, because for every sensible or considered view (whether I agree or not), there are two or three who shouldn't be allowed in public without a carer, and the odd one who represents a strong argument for active eugenics.

Think before you post lads, it'll make t'interweb a much better thingy.

Archived