Ince down the middle?

An option in a 442 like system? He apparently played just behind Martin against Benfica but he looked further up the field to me. I know he played down the middle for Blackpool, so could this be a permanent position for him next season? Can he fill that role that many fans want a new signing to fill?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe Pearson has realised we don't have any out and out quality wingers and is trying to fit the players in a fairly narrow system, our current (considered) wingers: Russell, Ince, Weimann, Camara, Blackman?, (may have missed someone)! The latter 3 being signed from clubs playing them as strikers or playing off the striker! 

We are not gonna plaz 4-4-2 in the tradional sense anytime soon.

Biggest reason is not wingers or lack of them, its out fullbacks.

We have Christie and Fozzie and went down the road of signing Olsson, all Wing backs could play the winger role in a 4-4-2

If we were playing Baird and not sold Warnock, or indeed if we had any other fullback from our history then traditonal 4-4-2 might make sense. But not with what we have currently.

Ince is at his best when he has a 'free' role and doesn't have to worry about his defensive responsibilities. It's easier to mark him when he is on the wing as you can double team of him. However, having said that I think he will play better behind the striker behind someone like Bent who can run onto his through balls and stretch the play to create more space for Ince. I think if he plays behind Martin, they will get in each others way and it will become a bit crowded in that area.

3 hours ago, McLovin said:

Ince is at his best when he has a 'free' role and doesn't have to worry about his defensive responsibilities. It's easier to mark him when he is on the wing as you can double team of him. However, having said that I think he will play better behind the striker behind someone like Bent who can run onto his through balls and stretch the play to create more space for Ince. I think if he plays behind Martin, they will get in each others way and it will become a bit crowded in that area.

So you think we should change to a system to accommodate Bent and Ince?

12 minutes ago, philmycock said:

So you think we should change to a system to accommodate Bent and Ince?

Not necessarily but imo to get the best out of Ince you need someone to stretch the opposition defence like Bent does. Martin drops too deep which takes up Ince's space sometimes. Some combos work better than others. Bryson-Russell- Martin works well as does the Ince-Bent. It's always good to have different options. 

Ince has so much class,  he just needs to be loved, pretty confident that Mr Pearson will get the best out of him, on his day he is unplayable, and a joy to watch. Looking forward to see  How Pearson will utilise Ince this year, for me he has to be given a role down the middle. Let's see what Mr Pearson thinks?

Yes spot on  McLovin .  And that is the point .. It isn't playing Ince in the middle .. It's who you play once in the middle with him. 

formations mean nothing unless you have the right player combination 

Our 433 has worked against many teams .... when George Holds .. Martin receives and plays to runners Bryson and Hendrick.

I don't think it works with Bent or even Will on the pitch. They call for a different mix ... I am simply not clever enough to pick the right combo of players and formations but one thing for sure, if we have a manger that can. then we can walk the league .. But that's probably why It isn't easy being a manager no matter how big or talented your squad is. 

5 hours ago, McLovin said:

Bang on. Ince and Bent scored about 25 goals in 15 games when Martin was out injured. Will had a significant role in that too though, and we basically haven't seen Will play more than a handful of games since that run ended.

5 hours ago, McLovin said:

Yes that's was Paul Clements Bristol city at home experiment which was a very Leicester-ish performance in our devastating counter attacks - Ince in middle Bent up top although bent did miss a header and was caught offside his typical 5 or more times. Of course, clement decided never to do that again because we didn't dominate possession stats. 

Sounds like Ince in the middle is the plan. First tweak?

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/derby-county-tom-ince-used-to-frighten-the-hell-out-of-me-admits-chris-powell/story-29548003-detail/story.html

DERBY County assistant manager Chris Powell admits that Tom Ince's ability frightened him when he was boss of Charlton Athletic and Huddersfield Town.

Powell is now working with Ince at Derby and believes the forward can be a match winner.

"I have told Tom he used to frighten the hell out of me - and he did, he really did - because he tends to make things happen," said Powell.

"What he tries will not come off all of the time but those sort of players, you encourage, and you encourage them in the right areas.

"If they are in the wide areas, can they deliver? If they are central, can they drive and finish, or put someone in?

"Tom is one of those players."

Powell wants to see Ince build on his performance at Walsall on Saturday.

Ince made one and scored one in Derby's 2-0 victory.

"I think there is a player there who can be a match winner when things are tight," added Powell.

43 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Sounds like Ince in the middle is the plan. First tweak?

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/derby-county-tom-ince-used-to-frighten-the-hell-out-of-me-admits-chris-powell/story-29548003-detail/story.html

DERBY County assistant manager Chris Powell admits that Tom Ince's ability frightened him when he was boss of Charlton Athletic and Huddersfield Town.

Powell is now working with Ince at Derby and believes the forward can be a match winner.

"I have told Tom he used to frighten the hell out of me - and he did, he really did - because he tends to make things happen," said Powell.

"What he tries will not come off all of the time but those sort of players, you encourage, and you encourage them in the right areas.

"If they are in the wide areas, can they deliver? If they are central, can they drive and finish, or put someone in?

"Tom is one of those players."

Powell wants to see Ince build on his performance at Walsall on Saturday.

Ince made one and scored one in Derby's 2-0 victory.

"I think there is a player there who can be a match winner when things are tight," added Powell.

Looks like Mr Powell, is showing plenty of love to our Tom Ince, but I agree if we make Ince feel special, he will shine at this level, no doubt about that, just make him feel loved, and watch him turn it on. Could be a big season for Tom and Derby this year, think we have a good balance between the manager and coaches this season.

On 21/07/2016 at 22:59, Ninos said:

Yes that's was Paul Clements Bristol city at home experiment which was a very Leicester-ish performance in our devastating counter attacks - Ince in middle Bent up top although bent did miss a header and was caught offside his typical 5 or more times. Of course, clement decided never to do that again because we didn't dominate possession stats. 

As I remember that game was a pretty typical Clement performance and but for bad goalkeeping it would have been a 0-0 or 1-0 result 

10 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

As I remember that game was a pretty typical Clement performance and but for bad goalkeeping it would have been a 0-0 or 1-0 result 

Worst 4-0 win I've ever seen! 

I seem to remember Fielding literally diving out of the way for the second goal.

This time last year Clement was derided as tactically inept for playing Ince down the middle. Either you're all too wrapped up in what happened at Bristol at home to decide what you all really believe or you just believe the sun shines out of Pearson's arse and everything he does is fantastic. Even if it was dramatically less than fantastic when it was tried before. Short memories.

2 minutes ago, Tombo said:

This time last year Clement was derided as tactically inept for playing Ince down the middle. Either you're all too wrapped up in what happened at Bristol at home to decide what you all really believe or you just believe the sun shines out of Pearson's arse and everything he does is fantastic. Even if it was dramatically less than fantastic when it was tried before. Short memories.

I certainly didn't decade Clement inept for doing it. It's Ince's self proclaimed favourite position and I think it suits his game down to the ground. His best season in football (final season for Blackpool) he played down and middle and had so much joy. 

Archived