Steve coppell - DOF

FrostedRam

7 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Unless we get someone who's got street cred and appeals to the generation who are embarrassed in front of their Man Utd mates I will not renew my season ticket.

Well, I would if I hadn't already done it.

Who do the young guys with big beards want?

You couldn't possibly beat Ryan Giggs then, wearing jeans and a puffer jacket. Proper smart casual like.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't got a strong opinion on who the new manager should be as I feel that the fit with our club will only be seen when we try it. It is the most difficult thing in football to get right. The turnover of tried and trusted managers in both the Pemier and Football Leagues are evidence of this. 

However I do get annoyed when people make statements dismissing potential candidates out of hand for spurious reasons. Stating that Coppell's best days are obviously behind him is rather silly. He is 61. Claudio Ranieri is 64 and was largely considered a poor choice. 

8 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Unless we get someone who's got street cred and appeals to the generation who are embarrassed in front of their Man Utd mates I will not renew my season ticket.

I've got a beard, don't give a damn about Street cred and have no man utd supporting mates.

I just want a manager appointed that knows how to motivate a group of players that can't handle pressure, have poor mental strength and need to be fitter.

PistoldPete2

How many managerial appointments have Derby made that have really been universally popular at the time? I think of the Taylor McFarland combination in the early 80s which excited me but with hindsight that was probably more due to sentiment than sense. Arthur cox quitting newcastle, newly promoted to the top flight with Keegan Beardsley and waddle, to manage the Rams newly relegated. Since then, all our managers have been either untried or damaged goods. Only Jim smith has been a success and I certainly wasn't excited by that appointment at the time. Billy Davies maybe was not damaged goods until he managed us and forest. But we can find things wrong with most managers records ... Doesn't mean they won't be a success like Jim smith was. 

9 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Johnny Russell just wants to hurt my leg.

No change there then.

8 hours ago, DRBee said:

The weasel word in this post is 'really' . Sorry but after over 50 years watching the club, I will always be a Derby supporter. I will support the team but I will make my own mind up . Just cos Mel bought the club does not mean he can buy my personal choice - he will not necessarily be here for too long, most of our owners haven't been . The degree of my support will be determined by me. Was I not a real Derby fan when I booed Phil Brown on that infamous night. 

Mel will choose who he wants and lets hope he doesn't make another mistake like the choice of Clement was. There are and have been many football supporters who have not been in favour of how their club was being run . 

'There are no half measures'  indicates you and your mind have been bought. We don't have to be mindless to be supporters.

When you booed Phil Brown you were a complete ********. Those who booed Darren Wassall at Rotherham were also complete *********. Being a complete ********, though, is fortunately only a temporary measure.

As far as having been bought, I should like to know what influences that choice of words. Bought by whom, how, and for how much?

As a supporter, you have one job - to support. Having a mind for that job is not at all necessary, but even allowing for that, it seems that is a job that some having trouble holding down on occasion.

3 minutes ago, The 1884 Group said:

Well I don't like to brag but it is fairly substantial

What's the longest you've gone before finding a piece of food in it?

great player .. Him and Gordon Hill .. In their prime were amongst the best wingers in British football. Managed by the man who's name we dare not speak 

managed well at this level .. Interesting one but definitely out of the blue if it happens 

45 minutes ago, eddie said:

When you booed Phil Brown you were a complete ********. Those who booed Darren Wassall at Rotherham were also complete *********. Being a complete ********, though, is fortunately only a temporary measure.

As far as having been bought, I should like to know what influences that choice of words. Bought by whom, how, and for how much?

As a supporter, you have one job - to support. Having a mind for that job is not at all necessary, but even allowing for that, it seems that is a job that some having trouble holding down on occasion.

You do indeed have a mindless approach to deciding what makes a 'real' football supporter. Do you have to suspend all critical faculties to be a supporter? I go to matches as a paying customer to be entertained and I  have entirely reasonable expectations. I don't boo players or the team and in fact the Phil Brown was the only time I have booed and on that occasion it led to a beneficial consequence.I have stuck through many low periods as a season ticket holder where the performance of those running the club has been unacceptable. My loyalty is not in doubt.

Your approach - 'accept whatever you are given and keep cheering' is indeed moronic. As is your arrogance in thinking you can define what every other supporter should do and think.

2 hours ago, DRBee said:

You do indeed have a mindless approach to deciding what makes a 'real' football supporter. Do you have to suspend all critical faculties to be a supporter? I go to matches as a paying customer to be entertained and I  have entirely reasonable expectations. I don't boo players or the team and in fact the Phil Brown was the only time I have booed and on that occasion it led to a beneficial consequence.I have stuck through many low periods as a season ticket holder where the performance of those running the club has been unacceptable. My loyalty is not in doubt.

Your approach - 'accept whatever you are given and keep cheering' is indeed moronic. As is your arrogance in thinking you can define what every other supporter should do and think.

Touched a nerve, have I?

:)

The anger from here is palpable.

The fact that you are quite clearly in the minority given the other comments in response to my post fills my heart with joy - and no doubt pisses you off a treat.

I notice that you avoided giving any explanation as to why you think that I have been 'bought' - and you decided to get all aggressive and butt-hurt instead. That's deflection isn't it? Avoiding the issue by creating a smokescreen.

You should be a politician.

4 hours ago, DRBee said:

Just out of interest, do you boo at the televsion/cinema if you are not entertained or in a restaurant if you dont like your meal?

If so, who are the boos aimed at?

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Just out of interest, do you boo at the televsion/cinema if you are not entertained or in a restaurant if you dont like your meal?

If so, who are the boos aimed at?

I would certainly complain to the chef if my meal wasn't up to the standards I expect.  Wouldn't you, if your food was cold, or if for example they brought out the desert you ordered as a starter ? 

As for the cinema, that's a poor example, if you watched the same film over and over again, by complaining it would make no difference to the outcome, plus the director or writer who would probably be at fault, wouldn't be sat in the cinema with you, therefore efforts wasted.

Whilst I would never boo - for one I don't understand the noise, I have at times vented my frustration at the decisions made by manager, and whilst this is not vocal whilst the game is going on,  I don't see the problem of discussing the adept failures of a manager in the pub or forum, unfortunately with Wassall he provides plenty to discuss.

1 minute ago, Leeds Ram said:

I would certainly complain to the chef if my meal wasn't up to the standards I expect.

but you wouldn't go into a greasy spoon cafe, order the £4 breakfast and then moan cos you wasn't eating Quail eggs..poached, would you?

You know what you're getting when you buy a ticket to watch Derby. CHAMPIONSHIP football. If your expectations exceed that, then simply, your expected standards are the problem, and not the service or quality served.

You can only moan if the team isn't competitive, other than that, the style, the result, the performance, the score, the line-up, the substitution, the officiating, the weather, the atmosphere, the shade of grass, the playing surface, the colour of the away kit.... etc etc etc etc is NOT guaranteed.

16 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

but you wouldn't go into a greasy spoon cafe, order the £4 breakfast and then moan cos you wasn't eating Quail eggs..poached, would you?

(Slightly) off-topic, but why is it that black pudding is ALWAYS an optional extra that you have to pay for? If there's one thing I want to boo, it's that.

16 hours ago, eddie said:

At the end of the day, we get who Mel chooses to appoint to a position which he believes is for the betterment of the club.

You then have a very simple choice - am I really a Derby fan, in which case I will continue to support the club, players and management - or am I not?

There are no half-measures in my mind.

You wont get a better answer than that.

Fully agree with you mate.

At the end of the day football is a game and if you love the club youll see them at any level and anywhere

23 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

I would certainly complain to the chef if my meal wasn't up to the standards I expect.  Wouldn't you, if your food was cold, or if for example they brought out the desert you ordered as a starter ? 

As for the cinema, that's a poor example, if you watched the same film over and over again, by complaining it would make no difference to the outcome, plus the director or writer who would probably be at fault, wouldn't be sat in the cinema with you, therefore efforts wasted.

Whilst I would never boo - for one I don't understand the noise, I have at times vented my frustration at the decisions made by manager, and whilst this is not vocal whilst the game is going on,  I don't see the problem of discussing the adept failures of a manager in the pub or forum, unfortunately with Wassall he provides plenty to discuss.

I have no problem with anyone booing, they pay their money and are entitled to do whatever they want within reason.

Just intrigued by what they are booing at and what result they aim to achieve through booing.

Archived