Top of the league

Duracell

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trying to think when we were last top bar perhaps when we started with 4 lucky wins about 4 years ago.

Did we ever go top when we last went up? If so it couldn't have been for long. Can't remember us been top when we were promoted with the bald eagle. Were we top for long when we went up with Arthur? Or when we just missed out on auto before losing to Blackburn in playoffs.

The last time I can imagine we finished top of any league would be 87 under Cox.

I believe we would have been top for a while in 95 or whenever it was when the Bald Eagle first took charge.

But Sunderland eventually over took us for the title.

Really doubt its happened since.

Imagine the amount of spoodge being splurted by the romantics had Nigel achieved this.

How quickly some of you forget! We were 7 points clear in this table from Feb 2007:

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/league-championship/2006-2007/table/2007-02-10

Not sure if that was our biggest lead that season, but I'd guess so. Of course that was just as the January transfer window closed during which some short Scottish person decided Craig Fagan, Jay Mceveley, Tyrone Mears, Darren Currie, John Macken, Gary Teale, etc were the players to fire us to promotion and dropped pretty much the whole team that had put us top.

Still bitter? Definitely. But also confident we have rather more sensible management this time around.

How quickly some of you forget! We were 7 points clear in this table from Feb 2007:

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/league-championship/2006-2007/table/2007-02-10

Not sure if that was our biggest lead that season, but I'd guess so. Of course that was just as the January transfer window closed during which some short Scottish person decided Craig Fagan, Jay Mceveley, Tyrone Mears, Darren Currie, John Macken, Gary Teale, etc were the players to fire us to promotion and dropped pretty much the whole team that had put us top.

Still bitter? Definitely. But also confident we have rather more sensible management this time around.

Crazy to think we have a better GD after just 13 games than that side after 32 games.

Goes to show how many games we won by sheer doggedness luck compared to our more freeflowing style.

To coin a phrase from Billy Davies, our side now would pummell that shower back in 2007/08.

That list of players... sent a shudder down my spine.

We were in fact 10 points clear of the eventual Champions

Archived