Top of the league

Duracell

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the 15 games he played for us, I had him as man of the match in about 11 of them. 

He can be compared to Osman, who played 17 games for us, but Thorne was a class above him still. 

He's certainly the best player I've seen play for us since I got a season ticket in 02/03 - no question. 

He could pass a basketball through a cheerio without touching the sides and his presence on the game was unbelievable. I can't think of a player, maybe other than Nolan during Newcastle's promotion season, to do that. 

I was actually at Osman's debut ...and could not believe how well he played. At the time a totally unheard of player outside of everton. He massively improved Huddlestone's play, as upto then Tom had no one on his wave length.

Thorne's interplay with Hughes was breath taking ...and yes, we looked like a team in total control of games.

I had minorly forgotten some of Thorne's highlights/influence ...just see them coming back now in my mind ....having blanked him from my mind as I personally hope we don't see him play until mid March at the earliest .....he really needs 9 months recuperation as per top consultants. Maybe 8 will suffice ...ABSOLUTELY do not want to see him before March playing

Top of the league, still arguing

Ahhh .....but debating about what team we will be fielding in the PL next August :-)

Watch this space soon for a B4ev6is  thread on who is going to Man City/Manure/Arsenal  ( running order to be confirmed .... )

Ambitious....in the last decade without really thinking hard at all.... The Newcastle team that ripped up the league, the Southampton team, Swansea, Cardiff, Wolves, Palace etc etc wtc were all littered with players who were awesome in this division and higher... Zaha, Murray, Blake, Llanna, Nolan, Lambert etc etc etc.

As I said I am not doubting that Thorne has the potential to be a decent player, but a handful of games in a team that was playing really well and had for the most part nothing to play for is hardly the same is it..?

He wasn't even the best player for US....nowhere near as good as Hughes, Hendrick, Martin, Grant I would even put the average Bryson up there. :-)

Ambitious....(sorry my computer wont allow me to "quote" anyone).... you think Thorne is THAT good...? and you can judge this on...watching him a maximum of 8 games??

I agree, he looks decent, but to say he is the best player in the league for the past decade is crazy......he isn't the best player in our team in the past SEASON never mind all the other teams over the last decade...

Quotes are fixed now in Internet Explorer

Ambitious....in the last decade without really thinking hard at all.... The Newcastle team that ripped up the league, the Southampton team, Swansea, Cardiff, Wolves, Palace etc etc wtc were all littered with players who were awesome in this division and higher... Zaha, Murray, Blake, Llanna, Nolan, Lambert etc etc etc.

As I said I am not doubting that Thorne has the potential to be a decent player, but a handful of games in a team that was playing really well and had for the most part nothing to play for is hardly the same is it..?

He wasn't even the best player for US....nowhere near as good as Hughes, Hendrick, Martin, Grant I would even put the average Bryson up there. :-)

You lost it with Zaha ;)

So you would say during Thorne's time here he was nowhere near as good as Hughes, Hendrick, Martin, Grant and Bryson? 

I will admit Thorne's impact here can't compete with their impact over the whole season, but when he was here there was no one close to him IMO. 

I can only agree to disagree. 

So you would say during Thorne's time here he was nowhere near as good as Hughes, Hendrick, Martin, Grant and Bryson? 

I will admit Thorne's impact here can't compete with their impact over the whole season, but when he was here there was no one close to him IMO. 

I can only agree to disagree. 

I would say that if a bloke has played a handful of games in a very good team, that had pretty much already got the play offs sewn up that no, he wasn't as good as Hughes, Hendrick, Martin, Grant and even Bryson....all of who were instrumental in getting us into the position we were at.

Put it like this, if you had said that we would lose one of them to a season long injury at the start of this season, I would have picked Thorne for sure.

One bizarre inference from that table is that our goal difference at that time was +12 and we had won 19 and lost 7.

Ergo, ALL of our wins and losses must have been by a single goal....how rare must that be?

Not quite

Win Two games 2-0 and lose on 0-3 then you would have played W2 L1 and GD+1

I would say that if a bloke has played a handful of games in a very good team, that had pretty much already got the play offs sewn up that no, he wasn't as good as Hughes, Hendrick, Martin, Grant and even Bryson....all of who were instrumental in getting us into the position we were at.

Put it like this, if you had said that we would lose one of them to a season long injury at the start of this season, I would have picked Thorne for sure.

Thorne would have been the very last on my list. Perhaps Martin, actually. 

The rest I felt we could have dealt with better. The reason we haven't got up to last year's standards, for me, is purely due to the absence of Thorne. 

We were just a much, much better team in that last part of the season. With Eustace, like we are now, we were still very good and capable of doing good things, but Thorne made us something special. 

Archived