NC on Theo Robinson

CumbrianRam

You never really hear others mangers saying 'I've got a lot of time for Cloughy' etc. Has he got any Mates outside the club?

Well Savage has been tweeting a lot tonight - basically telling the fans to slag the owners off.......so there's one 'mate'

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Robbie Savage@RobbieSavage8

Seems strange at derby that cloughie only spends when he sells , surely his hands are tied , he would have loved to have kept players andRobbie Savage@RobbieSavage8

Bought new ones !

If I was a derby fan id vent my frustration at the owners rather than manager and team !

I wouldn't be surprised if derbys wage bill was one of lowest in championship now , he's done a great job on and off the field !

I understand the point of trying to get a player to put in 100% in training.. No-one likes to see a slugish player in training picked every week..

But surely it's what you do on a Saturday afternoon that counts.. For too long has the likes of Stephen Pearson been regularly picked off the back of training regardless of how awful he is in a match..

A great manager once said that you should always play your best available team.. Nigel Clough regularly doesn't do this..

I would be wasting time posting on this thread because that right there ^ is exactly what I'd say.

I have 2 complaints with Nigel. One is the above. The other is I think he tactically to conservative. He thinks the best form of defence is defence. I think you have to atleast have a threat. Or appear to have one.

I need one of these to change over this season. Just one to hold my faith. Another season blighted by old problems and I might like to see someone else have a go.

Unless his way begins to look like it works. In which case I'm happy. But it needs to work well and look like it'd work in the PL. I don't want to go back up without the requirements.

Nigel Clough is the worst man manager I've ever seen at Derby.

John Gregory, Phil Brown, Paul Jewell are all much worse by anyone's standards.

I know things are bad because we lost our second game - but really, one of those is the worst manager in the club's history, one got us relegated and another brought in the worst loanees this club will ever see.

Sammon and Tyson on current form is our strongest pattership anyway. Bennett hit the post so he did ok, despite the lightweight midfield behind him.

Thing is, if you want a hard working team, this sort of ruthlessness is required. No ifs, no buts - if you don't do your job to the best of your ability, you aren't playing.

That's completely changed the club culture and we have players that want to play for the shirt now.

Theo isn't Maguire, he's Theo, and he'll bounce back. And the rest of our more talented players will look at that and realise that if they don't do what they did last season, they'll lose their place to a player like Conor Doyle.

We might have won tonight with Theo, but if we start letting players get away with 95% on pitch and in training, we will always be at 95% of what the squad can achieve.

Now, for the record, I'm not totally convinced this is the way to deal with the problem. It didn't work with Maguire....

I'm not just saying that because we've lost two games. I genuinely believe Clough's man management techniques are the worst I've seen. Countless times he makes sly digs at players, treats them like crap and leaves them out for no apparent reason. He's been in charge for probably the same number of games as those three combined and still can't go a season without there being some kind of rift in the camp. And this is his camp now, no excuses.

Have people on this forum not articulated enough for you what the problem may be with selecting workhorses first and foremost?

I thought Theo's main strength was the 'workhorse' closing down defenders, chasing lost causes to the corners? Which he didnt do against Ssausagehorpe and definitely looked off it against Wendies, almost uninterested. Maybe the early summer rumours of Fulham have turned his head? Maybe he believes he should be playing higher up? I'm probably talking pollocks though.

Sammon and Tyson on current form is our strongest pattership anyway. Bennett hit the post so he did ok, despite the lightweight midfield behind him.

Thing is, if you want a hard working team, this sort of ruthlessness is required. No ifs, no buts - if you don't do your job to the best of your ability, you aren't playing.

That's completely changed the club culture and we have players that want to play for the shirt now.

Theo isn't Maguire, he's Theo, and he'll bounce back. And the rest of our more talented players will look at that and realise that if they don't do what they did last season, they'll lose their place to a player like Conor Doyle.

We might have won tonight with Theo, but if we start letting players get away with 95% on pitch and in training, we will always be at 95% of what the squad can achieve.

Now, for the record, I'm not totally convinced this is the way to deal with the problem. It didn't work with Maguire....

Bennett hit the post but Theo is a lot more likely to score on the last 12 months evidence, so while being left out might give him a kick up the arse its also Clough cutting his nose of to spite his face.

But if a player seems to be slacking off in training, what should a manager do?

Probably thought that putting theo on the bench for the wendies game would be the rocket up the ar$e that was required but it didn't work out and probably thought he needed to go one better...

That aside, Doyle ahead of Theo is madness. Who was Doyle gonna come on for? Was he there just to make up the numbers??

But if a player seems to be slacking off in training, what should a manager do?

Probably thought that putting theo on the bench for the wendies game would be the rocket up the ar$e that was required but it didn't work out and probably thought he needed to go one better...

That aside, Doyle ahead of Theo is madness. Who was Doyle gonna come on for? Was he there just to make up the numbers??

Surely a good man manager can get this out of a player without the need to drop him. I guess we will see, as if he comes back and scores a load of goals it will be hailed as genuis

You never really hear others mangers saying 'I've got a lot of time for Cloughy' etc. Has he got any Mates outside the club?

On the contrary, other managers such as Tony Pulis & have indeed said positive things about what he has done at Derby - maybe because they are within the game, understand the game and what he has done with the resources available to him.

Surely a good man manager can get this out of a player without the need to drop him. I guess we will see, as if he comes back and scores a load of goals it will be hailed as genuis

Dropping a player is a good way to get them to realise they've not been doing well, or doing enough. You can waffle on at them all day and all night, but unless you show them you're serious nothing is ever going to happen.

I honestly don't think having Theo out there would have made a difference either. Tyson and Sammon are now the first choice pairing, so Theo would only have ever come off the bench. Having him and Tyson on up front was never going to be overly useful, and to be honest Bennett can and by the sounds of it did do alright.

Theo is the kind of player that the club can't afford to allowed to be lazy. He's not a hugely talented player, he is going to need to put the effort in. Ironically a lot of player spent most of last season that Theo is another one of Nigel's hard working players who lacks talent, but now he's been left out due to not working hard enough we're talking as though Nigel left out someone of Maradona like skill for not running enough.

Robinson has been slacking off in training - for whatever reason I and probably nobody on this forum know about. He is a young man with limited natural skill and his game is dependant on him working hard. Why shouldn't he be dropped from the team? All sports professionals even those with the most sublime skill have to work hard to succeed. We have a lot of young players in our squad and it is correct that they see that slacking off is a short cut to sitting it out on a matchday.

The crux of the matter is how will Robinson react? So far I like what I have seen with him travelling up to Bolton and making sure that he is seen to be there supporting his team-mates. That shows a good attitude and wanting to be part of the team. He will be back and doing what he does best soon I am sure.

Archived