Am I the only person who couldn't give a toss about the Olympics?

Leicester Ram

Why shouldnt we publise it?

Secondly the sports you moan about...to the people who take part in these sports it is a very important and demanding sport, i respect anyone who is going to dedicate thatuch of their lives to anything, sycranised swimming, that ribbon waving gymnastics etc etc, it might not be my scene and hold slim or no interest for me personally but i know that the competitors h e worked their socks off to get where they are and therfore have earned my respect.

And you should see some of the events that ARENT in the Olympics any longer, like poetry for one..!

1. I didn't say it should be publicised at all.

2. So you think poetry - and absolutely anything else for that matter - should be in the Olympics?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have two problem with the Olympics.

Firstly - regarding 2012 only - I'm just sick to death of it before it's started. It's got a bit like Christmas, endless promotion months before it starts. Well I've had enough already.

Secondly - my real issue - The hundreds of so-called sports that have been stuffed into it. In fact it's not just "so-called" sports, it's sports that already have their own major following and Championships. Football?! Tennis?! Ridiculous. Completely de-values the Olympics. I feel the IOC ruin it themselves.

And don't get me started on synchronised swimming...

Those mainstream sports(like basketball for instance) brings in more viewers and more sponsorships. As cool as they are to watch as a joke, rowing and equestrian don't bring people to the TV. Those major sports draw people in and hopefully lead them to watch the other sports. Football needs to be out though, it's a glorified junior level tourney. Why even bother?

Those mainstream sports(like basketball for instance) brings in more viewers and more sponsorships. As cool as they are to watch as a joke, rowing and equestrian don't bring people to the TV. Those major sports draw people in and hopefully lead them to watch the other sports. Football needs to be out though, it's a glorified junior level tourney. Why even bother?

Really? 'Cos it's those "mainstream sports" that I have no interest of in the Olympics...

And oh god - horse riding?!! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

I think one of my funniest Olympic memories is when they had baseball in, and the US were annihilated by Cuba. Good times! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

We choose our sports to dominate pretty well - play to our strengths - Rowing, Cycling, Yachting, basically anything that involves us sitting on our @r$e$! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

Most of the time, yeah we got annihilated by Cuba. Afterall, the Cubans who left Cuba to play in the MLB aren't even their best players. That's a country that loves it's baseball and has major, major talents who by rule can still play at that level. Meanwhile, the US was sending half assed young minor league players who weren't even major prospects because Club farm systems won't let them go and college players who usually never even got drafted at all. Now we have the World Baseball Classic but none of our good pro players will even consider playing in it.

I have two problem with the Olympics.

Firstly - regarding 2012 only - I'm just sick to death of it before it's started. It's got a bit like Christmas, endless promotion months before it starts. Well I've had enough already.

Secondly - my real issue - The hundreds of so-called sports that have been stuffed into it. In fact it's not just "so-called" sports, it's sports that already have their own major following and Championships. Football?! Tennis?! Ridiculous. Completely de-values the Olympics. I feel the IOC ruin it themselves.

And don't get me started on synchronised swimming...

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

1. I didn't say it should be publicised at all.

2. So you think poetry - and absolutely anything else for that matter - should be in the Olympics?

You are "sick to death" of it being in TV..! For me, its not been in nearly enough...for gods sake we are living in an era where people think that watching people sleep on big brother or watching the latest annoying boy band prostitute themselves in front of simon cowell is good TV..!

I didnt say poetry should be in the Olympics, but what i did say is that every athlete that is in the olympics should be respected, sync swimming etc etc.

How easy is it for you to say "the olympics is crap"!! Boring attitude, and the reason why British is broken....no pride.

You are "sick to death" of it being in TV..! For me, its not been in nearly enough...for gods sake we are living in an era where people think that watching people sleep on big brother or watching the latest annoying boy band prostitute themselves in front of simon cowell is good TV..!

I didnt say poetry should be in the Olympics, but what i did say is that every athlete that is in the olympics should be respected, sync swimming etc etc.

Muespach are you actually in the UK?

So you think something should be respected just because it's made it into the Olympics? Do you think line-dancing should be in? or would you respect the "athletes" if it was?

How easy is it for you to say "the olympics is crap"!! Boring attitude, and the reason why British is broken....no pride.

If you disagree with something I've said then state your side - don't start making up things I've said and then blaming them (and indirectly me) for causing a "broken Britain". Thank you.

I strongly disagree with the people that think Football and Tennis...etc shouldn't be in the Olympics, on the basis these are big sporting competitions and all large sporting competitions should be celebrated at the Olympics - regardless of professional stature of 'said' sport!

I strongly disagree with the people that think Football and Tennis...etc shouldn't be in the Olympics, on the basis these are big sporting competitions and all large sporting competitions should be celebrated at the Olympics - regardless of professional stature of 'said' sport!

Don't you think being a "lesser" competition for the sport cheapen the Olympics?

I my point is the Olympics should be the ultimate prize for that sport or what's the point it being there?

You must have been the only person I know who didn't watch the sublime Sir Steve Redgrave win his 5th consecutive Olympic games medal (he's won 1 bronze, then 4 golds)?

People over here were glued to their tellies and what a moment of history to watch 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

You must have been the only person I know who didn't watch the sublime Sir Steve Redgrave win his 5th consecutive Olympic games medal (he's won 1 bronze, then 4 golds)?

People over here were glued to their tellies and what a moment of history to watch 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

5 golds. He won all of them in five consecutive olympics. Amazing achievement, the dedicationt that required is incredible. I feel shamed by Steve Redgrave, if only I had the commitment he showed to do something with my own life.

That's what the Olympics are about for me, the dedication of the athletes, I admire anybody from any nation for the amount of effort they put into their sport and to perform at the Olympics is the ultimate ambition for all of them. It's in the UK this year, sweet! A huge festival for sport, wish I was one of the spectators never mind the lucky few competitors.

• 2 weeks later...

latest on the homebrew..... it's beautiful, especially mixed 50/50 witht he homebrew cider and ice...... heaven in a glass.... Muespach's Olympic homebrew snakebite....

P.S......where have all the moaners gone now that the Olympics is the runaway success it deserves to be??

Archived