Am I the only person who couldn't give a toss about the Olympics?

Leicester Ram

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is the biggest waste of money since we renewed trident. What is the point? who cares about the majority of these sports? maybe a hundred people in the world and they all compete in it. If we had gotten the world cup or the european championships it would have been something which wouldn't have cost a lot because we already have all the stadiums in place and it would have invigorated the nation in something which more than a few are passionate about. The Olympics use fast food, beer and coca cola as its sponsers while 'promoting' health and fitness. I despise it and while tens of thousands are collecting food parcels to help feed themselves and while people are being made redundant due to cutbacks we are spending hundreds of millions on something which many are apathetic to it does disgust me.

I bet this country has wasted more money giving students loans that have never been repayed.

I wasn't bothered that much before YR's mini rant, now I can't wait to sit back and watch the lot whilst reading the Daily Mail

It is the biggest waste of money since we renewed trident. What is the point? who cares about the majority of these sports? maybe a hundred people in the world and they all compete in it. If we had gotten the world cup or the european championships it would have been something which wouldn't have cost a lot because we already have all the stadiums in place and it would have invigorated the nation in something which more than a few are passionate about. The Olympics use fast food, beer and coca cola as its sponsers while 'promoting' health and fitness. I despise it and while tens of thousands are collecting food parcels to help feed themselves and while people are being made redundant due to cutbacks we are spending hundreds of millions on something which many are apathetic to it does disgust me.

Basically, you have just summed up my opinion on students. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Don't McDonalds, Coke and a alcohol company sponsor the World Cup/Euro's too?

Yes and for that I deplore them as well.

I bet this country has wasted more money giving students loans that have never been repayed.

I wasn't bothered that much before YR's mini rant, now I can't wait to sit back and watch the lot whilst reading the Daily Mail

really? are you so sure about that because I seriously doubt that Daveo. Up until this new change in fee's I was under the impression the loan was never cancelled and thus likely to be always paid. You read the Daily Heil if you wish but you are above that.

Who cares about the Olympics ? Well I do. And so does most of my friends. ( I actually do have a few.) The best part of the Olympics is that you can watch events that you can't normally see much in tv. I love to watch sports at high level and find it very interesting to learn about the sports I don't know so well. If the commentator is good enough you can get into any sports pretty quickly.

The point is to promote something which is positive - the ethic of dedication, teamwork and a world coming together in a peaceful environment. Name me a country which doesn't have starving and sick people. There will never be enough money to go around. Holding the Olympics might just inspire some kids in this country. I agree with you that allowing McDonalds in is a joke, but let's see how much money the games bring in before we criticise its expediture.

I guess you're neither a fan nor supporter then?

I can't help feeling a tinge of pride in knowing that Usain Bolt and the Jamaican team are just a couple of miles away from me and using local training facilities. OK the Americans are just around the corner too and I will probably bump into some of their beach volleyball players but hey, you can't have everything

All I know is that the Olympics have given Brum a real feel good factor. With this summer the way it is we need anything that will lighten the mood.

Having said that I probably won't watch much more than the track events but I do enjoy the paralympics where everyone seems to have a good time, win or lose.

It is the biggest waste of money since we renewed trident.

Mothball the AWE instead- our most advanced research facility? We're #2 in the world on scientific output, we'd be at risk of falling to #7.

Archived