Am I the only person who couldn't give a toss about the Olympics?

Leicester Ram

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you are not the only one. I've even turned down corporate tickets (at the Test instead) and 'meet the flame' event too.

I'm still a little peeved that it's upsurped the Ashes and it's only a 3 test series between the 2 best sides in the world. How they can justify men and women jumping over hurdles etc being more important, god knows.

Being down south I have real issues with these olympic lanes too, it's not just the atheletes using them, it's the media and Olympic officials on the freebies (you know the ones who sell their tickets on the blackmarket).

Will go and see the road race and cheer Wiggo and Cav on, but just see atheletics as a school sports day for grownups who were no good at proper team sports

You only put the athletics on as a last resort. How is it entertaining watching someone run around a track? Most people I know seem to be apathetic. I thought it very English not to give a crap about these things anyway.

World cup and Olympics shouldn't even be allowed in the same sentance. I hope Britain do well and I may catch the odd bit but that is as far as it goes in my household.

I think it's great that we are hosting the Olympics and that the eyes of the world will be upon us. I also think that people who are world leaders in their sport should get proper recognition. For around 45 weeks of the year we are bombarded with football trivia, lending air time to ********* like Terry, Cole and Ferdinand. We treat football like we are world leaders, yet time and again we aren't. I have sympathy with Butthead about the cricket. We are actually good at cricket yet don't big our team up. We would rather concentrate on boo-hoo Murray, whose antics deflected from Federer's achievement.

For a couple of weeks, let's cheer on the cyclists, the swimmers and the rowers whose dedication is immense. And in September, let's cheer on the paralympic athletes whose guts and determination put us couch potatoes and whingers to shame.

It makes no sense at all to cheer one stranger passing a lit piece of bling to another, yet anyone who has witnessed a torch relay will have been hugely aware of the spirit of goodwill at these events. It's really quite uplifting (not least when it's your son).

God knows, there is little to cheer about when you watch the news. Sport brings people together, and this summer we will revel in our achievements and athletes will manage to raise the bar of human achievement without the urge to call each other names. Amen to that!

I love it me. Don't give a stuff about how they get to the stadium, I just can't wait to watch the events. I bet Sir Steve wishes he was a bit younger and go for another home won gold medal.

I can't say there's any events I won't be watching (well, maybe not weightlifting) and I hope that Tom Daley & Louis Smith can both win medals in diving & the pommel horse. There's so many events I don't know what to watch first but I'm sure I'll manage. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

It is the biggest waste of money since we renewed trident. What is the point? who cares about the majority of these sports? maybe a hundred people in the world and they all compete in it. If we had gotten the world cup or the european championships it would have been something which wouldn't have cost a lot because we already have all the stadiums in place and it would have invigorated the nation in something which more than a few are passionate about. The Olympics use fast food, beer and coca cola as its sponsers while 'promoting' health and fitness. I despise it and while tens of thousands are collecting food parcels to help feed themselves and while people are being made redundant due to cutbacks we are spending hundreds of millions on something which many are apathetic to it does disgust me.

Archived