My Statement regarding Proposed South Stand move 2013/2014

therams69

Nick,

Totally support your views & thanks for all your efforts in trying to make the South Stand idea work - I think with it potentially having people standing in a couple of years could make it even better. As a couple of other posters have said, the mix of people in that stand is crucial - families & the like would reduce it to the level/noise of any other stand. Not sure how this could be done - perhaps by lowering prices (so encouraging younger, more vocal fans) & stewards employing a slightly less aggressive/more tolerant attitude towards standing during matches?

And please don't be put off by the selfish NIMBYs who on the one hand moan about the atmosphere & go on about how much better BBG was than PP but point blank refuse to make any sacrifice to bring about an improvement in atmosphere.

p.s.

If there was an obvious place to sing I probably would move there but the S/E corner is crap. No one sings anyway, the view is horrendous, and the only songs they sing is ones declaring our hatred for Forest or "we're Derby County, we'll sing on our own" WHICH IS THE WORST THING EVER. PERIOD.

I'd have to disagree - the worst song ever in football is "And we're <generic team name>, we're by far the greatest team the world has ever seen..." - it actually makes me cringe, whoever is singing it. In fact, singing it should be made a criminal offence.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surely it is time for change, being totally honest the main reason I don't go as much any more is because I can't stand feeling like I can't support our team the way id like to. Im no longer into running fans out of town, I just want to scream

[size=4][size=5]Derby[/size] [size=6]Derby [/size][/size][size=7]Derby [/size]

Before anyone says we still do, im sorry but no, no we don't, not like we used to.

Im embarrassed to say that I have to tick off fixtures that are most likely to give a decent atmosphere, im stuck with Forest and Leeds.... Im not a glory hunter or an arm chair fan, im averaging about 10 games a season each time hanging on to the smallest amounts of Derby passion. I totally admire all fans that still turn up week in week out and make the most of it.

I know for a fact that there are hundreds of Derby lads waiting for the greatest weekend pastime to make a return. If this go's ahead and we are allowed to get behind them the real way, they will be back in a flash me included (especially if safe standing comes in)

Cloughie will get us back in the big time, we can help him keep us there.

DTID, COYR, COD, NCBAWA.

I'd have to disagree - the worst song ever in football is "And we're <generic team name>, we're by far the greatest team the world has ever seen..." - it actually makes me cringe, whoever is singing it. In fact, singing it should be made a criminal offence.

yeah terrible

Health problems and circumstances mean that I have had to be content to be an armchair supporter (Come on you Armchairs! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' /> ) for a long time now but I recall fondly when as a Popsider we had songs for each of the Derby team which we would sing at the start of each match and cheer when the fotballer raised his arm to acknowledge that he had heard us. This must have lifted the team's spirits.

Does anything like this happen now?

The team need to know that the fans are supporting them and encouraging them to give 100% in return.

I'm for it, I sit in the last block before the away fans so I doubt I'll get asked about the move though. I think it will improve the atmosphere but also people need to help out too. The main reason why PP is dire atmosphere wise is because people aren't willing to back their team. There also needs to be an end to this separation issue South-East'ers seem to have with us in the south stand. I've had longer pisses than some have sat in the SE corner so they need to think twice before singing the "where we're you when we were ****" at us. Drop that, back the team vocally, back Nick, back anyone/thing that's trying to breathe fresh air in our direction that's hoping to improve things. Let's get rid of this shitty, lacklustre atmosphere Derby fans seem to bring with them everywhere.

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but I'd be surprised and disappointed if we couldn't get 5000 like minded people to form in the South Stand (Name change would be better too IMO....). There's plenty of lads out there (and lasses) that complain and moan about how bad PP is nowadays, nows your chance to change it. Have we got anything to lose?

Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion, if your there for the view (really?) then fair enough. Each to their own and that! Safe standing would be ideal to move into straight away but that's not going to happen unfortunately. Either way, will be interesting to see the responses.

Great post Mr Tibbs. Fully agree with everything you said.

Also just to point out Cardiff have done this move for next season. Asked all their singers to get together and have a dedicated vocal area.

Details are on there website.

Oh for the days of the BBG against the likes of Real Madrid when the whole ground would chant DERBY, DERBY, DERBY and stamp both feet as hard as they could on the wooden floors in the stands. We got close to that against Forest this season and maybe Leeds

Someone mentioned the South West Upper which tends to be empty. Realistically over this last season bar a couple of games there has only been 2-3 blocks of the upper part used (normally just one for some teams) makes no sense to block off so much of the ground for teams now a days as away attendances have been vastly reduced over the last 12-18months.

Not sure our design of the ground will be helpful in moving fans. I would support the move as believe something needs trying. Wouldn't like to be the one to arrange this as some games require more space i.e. Scum, Leeds or a big cup game. Would be interesting to see the outcome of the survey and options available. I am all up for moving the ground around for the atmosphere as this is missing and adds to the game. I don't like sitting and hearing people moaning when no need to moan and would rather be in a position where atmosphere drives and spurs players on to perform.

Oh for the days of the BBG against the likes of Real Madrid when the whole ground would chant DERBY, DERBY, DERBY and stamp both feet as hard as they could on the wooden floors in the stands. We got close to that against Forest this season and maybe Leeds

Oh for the days when fans turned up to the games without the need for moving to a "singing" area, didn't need song sheets, sung songs they liked and didn't sing the ones they didn't.

Good luck if you move again, but the truth is that even the BBG was a dreadful atmosphere when there was nothing to cheer about, I personally would rather Glick and co spent the time looking at generating extra funds, but as I say good luck 2 u.

No need to say good luck to me LeedsRam I'm quite happy where I sit in the East Upper. The only way the atmosphere can ever improve isif people are prepared to actually sing. The Etihad Stadium only came to life yesterday when they scored!!

I love the idea however it's going to take a lot of hard work and patience. Moving the SE corner fans into the south stand is hardly going to improve the atmosphere at all in the short term. It will take organisation, persuasion and a lot of effort to get the mood really lifted in that area of the ground. This will take at least a couple of years.

The problem is that people don't want to sing at Pride Park. People are happy in their comfy seat(s) that they've had for years, with their family around them, the kids occupied with their Nintendo DS and/or Blackberry, their warm cup of tea and their burger, which is fair enough.

But this general lack of passion that's been forfeited in favour of a family atmosphere has made everyone else apathetic, even the people who used to sing loudly on the terrace at the BBG. The people who want to be vocal keep saying "It will never happen".

At least the idea proposed by Nick being considered by the club is a start...

SillyBilly

Half of the East stand regrettably suffers with objectum sexuality. My seat just doesn't turn me on anymore, I'm ready to move on and find another.

I sit in the North stand (library) at the moment and would happily move to this stand if it went through surely the club could advertise it as a more vocal seating area.

I've always found it quite strange that we've never named any of our stands other than 'Toyota' or other corporate crap, we should name one of the stands behind a goal after a Derby legend.

Archived