Steve Davies

Stive Pesley

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It wouldn't appear in any accounts until this years, and it would me money budgeted for but still is money raised from players sales.

Yes, but the money was probably taken into account in last year's transfers with the expectation that we were getting it this year. Thankfully we still got it, despite Portsmouth's current situation.

In some ways I'm sad for Varney though, his history has shown that League One is about his level, but now sadly he'll have to take Leeds down for his 6th relegation in 8 years at Championship level or above in order to be back at that level.

I think they probably have as well, but you can guarantee that every time someone does a 'lets add up the transfer money in and out and moan' post this season, the £300k will appear on it and it almost certainly shouldn't.

Oops I have done that? On another thread

But there have been many statements that money from players being sold will be spent on new player - so to me it should be on the list

But there have been many statements that money from players being sold will be spent on new player - so to me it should be on the list

The problem is though, people were almost certainly including it on the list for last season as well (or at least including the whole £750k fee for Varney, or whatever it was). You're also not including any similar payments that we may owe on players (there were definitely installments of some kind in the Maguire and Bryson deals so we may well owe something there, for example). I hate those kind of posts anyway as the deals are so complicated (and so undisclosed in our case 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />) that it's all complete guesswork.

But they said that last year as well, and he was sold last year. As this was a payment that was always meant to be paid, it would have almost certainly have been included in incomings and outgoings last year. Why should it be included this year? Just because it actually got paid? That would be like me telling a company that they owe me after paying my bills. If anything, it should have been £300k wiped off this year's transfers if it didn't get paid. Or are you saying that it should have been included both this year and last year?

Also, we really shouldn't play "add up the transfer fees" anyhow, but hey...

The problem is though, people were almost certainly including it on the list for last season as well (or at least including the whole £750k fee for Varney, or whatever it was). You're also not including any similar payments that we may owe on players (there were definitely installments of some kind in the Maguire and Bryson deals so we may well owe something there, for example). I hate those kind of posts anyway as the deals are so complicated (and so undisclosed in our case 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />) that it's all complete guesswork.

I made the point in a thread earlier in the transfer window that our net spend, if the media is to be believed, is somewhere between roughly -£900k to more than £2 mil. This is of course before going into agents fees and wages... This is what makes this kind of thing pointless.

A swansea fan has just signed up to the Bristol forum to confirm the manager and him held a meeting yesterday and discussed quite a few things...

Hi lads/ladies, im a swans fan. Without reading through the thread i just want to confirm that i was sitting next to steve davies and your manager mcinnes last night. It was in the marriot college green. After hearing their conversation it is safe to say he is yours. They were arranging a new home for steve and your manager was picking him up at 8:15am for training. Apologies but i had to google to put names to their faces. Interesting what steve had to say about his old clubs manager!!

ooo, Cloughie.... whatcha done now!?! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':blink:' />

Something about Davies being injured and wanted to take his family down to London, Clough said no, then said yes on the morning of a game.

Also said Clough put him down a lot?

Don't know about you, but I would really like to hear the other side of the story! Sounds a bit like teddy-out-of-the-pram stuff to me.

The bloke posted again just saying that Davies had mentioned that Clough has little respect for the players - and when Davies was injured he asked Clough for the day off, Clough said no and then on the morning of the game told him he could go.

Sounds a tad like a jilted lover - but also sounds like a Cloughie thing to do.

City have completed the signing of Derby County forward Steven Davies for an undisclosed fee.

The 24-year-old completed a medical at Ashton Gate this morning before penning a three-year contract.

Davies is the club's sixth signing made by Derek McInnes this summer, the manager having stressed the importance of strengthening his forward line.

Davies, a Liverpudlian, began his career at Tranmere Rovers through their youth set-up.

The six-foot, one-inch tall front man appeared 71 times for Tranmere, with a portion of those outings coming on the left wing.

With his contract at Tranmere having run its course, Derby splashed out £725,000 in a tribunal set fee in 2008 to secure Davies' services.

In four seasons, Davies managed to play 94 times, scoring 23 goals, but is now looking forward to a new challenge at Ashton Gate.

He has been handed squad number 16. The deal is subject to FA and Football League clearance, with a view to Davies being involved in tomorrow's npower Championship match with Crystal Palace.

Derby County striker Steven Davies has joined fellow npower Championship side Bristol City.

Davies has signed a three-year deal at Ashton Gate after the two clubs agreed a fee for his services on Sunday evening, subject to FA & Football League approval.

The forward was offered a new three-year deal by the Rams following the conclusion of the 2011-12 season, in which he scored 12 goals and finished joint-top goalscorer alongside Theo Robinson despite missing a large part of the season with fractured skull.

However, Davies turned down the contract due to family circumstances and he was subsequently made available for transfer.

Davies moved to Pride Park in 2008 for an undisclosed fee from League One side Tranmere Rovers and went on to score 21 goals in 94 appearances in Derby colours.

He began the 2011-12 npower Championship campaign in fine form; netting five goals in 10 games, before injury struck and the Liverpudlian was ruled out for almost four months after suffering a fractured skull against Southampton in October 2011.

However, after undergoing surgery Davies made a full recovery and returned to action during the closing months of the campaign, scoring five times during March.

Derby County would like to thank Steven for his contribution over the last four years and wish him well in the future.

Archived