Steve Davies

Stive Pesley

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
City have completed the signing of Derby County forward Steven Davies for an undisclosed fee.

The 24-year-old completed a medical at Ashton Gate this morning before penning a three-year contract.

Davies is the club's sixth signing made by Derek McInnes this summer, the manager having stressed the importance of strengthening his forward line.

Davies, a Liverpudlian, began his career at Tranmere Rovers through their youth set-up.

The six-foot, one-inch tall front man appeared 71 times for Tranmere, with a portion of those outings coming on the left wing.

With his contract at Tranmere having run its course, Derby splashed out £725,000 in a tribunal set fee in 2008 to secure Davies' services.

In four seasons, Davies managed to play 94 times, scoring 23 goals, but is now looking forward to a new challenge at Ashton Gate.

He has been handed squad number 16. The deal is subject to FA and Football League clearance, with a view to Davies being involved in tomorrow's npower Championship match with Crystal Palace.

lazy linker......oh wait ;-)

a bit annoyed at this whole situation really- I know that it is "family reasons" and we must respect that but I don't see how such reasons would lead you to be touted to all clubs? Why could he have such a problem with being here? He is exactly the kind of striker we need- better than Sammon by all accounts/stats and now we have had to shell out considerably more cash replacing a player with a weaker replacement who has already turned us down once. Add that to the fact we have paid twice what Wigan did and that he has been pretty much sat on his arse for the past 18 months!

a bit annoyed at this whole situation really- I know that it is "family reasons" and we must respect that but I don't see how such reasons would lead you to be touted to all clubs? Why could he have such a problem with being here? He is exactly the kind of striker we need- better than Sammon by all accounts/stats and now we have had to shell out considerably more cash replacing a player with a weaker replacement who has already turned us down once. Add that to the fact we have paid twice what Wigan did and that he has been pretty much sat on his arse for the past 18 months!

Pardon me?

Steven Davies:

143 Games

26 goals

24 years old

Has had injury problems

Conor Sammon:

182 games

34 goals

25 years of age

Known to be a hard worker

Honestly, I wouldn't rate Davies higher on that alone. In fact, unlike Davies, Sammon's game is apparently not so much about goals, rather his work rate. I'd wait until we've seen him a few times to make a judgement, but unlike Davies, he sounds like the kind of forward who doesn't need to score to have a good game. We'll see how he goes.

Wish steve all the best, going to be a top player for bristol and i cant see them going down for sure now.

Still would like to know what his "family reasons" were as he's been a favourite of mine since we got him, maybe it's just because i'm also a left footer and we need more of them 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

If we're respecting his reasons Shilts then there is no need to question why he was touted to all clubs or what his problem was with being here. Respecting his reasons means we respect his reasons.

I'm not having the fact that you've judged him a weaker replacement bit who was sat on his arse either. Did you miss Davies' career record when he was with us?

It's cost us around 500k - 600k cash for Sammon when you add back the Davies fee. We were going to pay 600k cash for him last January.

I'm not seeing a reason to moan here but of course feel free to whine away.

So after watching the game on Saturday you came to the conclusion we needed a striker to stand outside the box and shoot on every occasion? I bloody didn't I thought we was screaming out for a striker who could get the ball into him and hold it up which I think Sammon can do, Davies flakes off outwide cuts in and shoots.

We didn't need a clinical finisher upfront - we need a team player, a steve howard type if you will.

Davies aint that good, got a decent shot on him but doesnt offer much else. Not very mobile and looks lazy at times imo. Seemed to have a knack of right place right time last year but to early to label him a goal scorer imo, plus being injury prone i dont think he's a massive loss.

Pardon me?

Steven Davies:

143 Games

26 goals

24 years old

Has had injury problems

Conor Sammon:

182 games

34 goals

25 years of age

Known to be a hard worker

Honestly, I wouldn't rate Davies higher on that alone. In fact, unlike Davies, Sammon's game is apparently not so much about goals, rather his work rate. I'd wait until we've seen him a few times to make a judgement, but unlike Davies, he sounds like the kind of forward who doesn't need to score to have a good game. We'll see how he goes.

Conor Sammon = Mickey mouse league goals. We have enough hard workers in our squad and we need goals, not huffing and puffing. The level at which Sammon had one good season at is nowhere near comparable to the Championship. We need a proven championship goalscorer- unfortunatelt we have just sold one to a rival for 1/2 of the price we have had to pay for an unproven one

Conor Sammon = Mickey mouse league goals. We have enough hard workers in our squad and we need goals, not huffing and puffing. The level at which Sammon had one good season at is nowhere near comparable to the Championship. We need a proven championship goalscorer- unfortunatelt we have just sold one to a rival for 1/2 of the price we have had to pay for an unproven one

Come on shilts - give over. first of all 750k is not half of 1.2m.

Secondly Steven Davies a proven championship goalscorer? he's got 26 goals in total and has he ever played more than 30 games a season? You're not just stretching some stats to make a cheap point are you?

We have sold an injury prone nothing striker who's entire game was about scoring. He had a sweet left boot, and he could do a job, but he couldn't hold it up and didn't work hard enough.

As for Sammon, he is a good player who can hold the ball up and bring others into play, something we had been missing for years. If he can do this job, I honestly don't care if he doesn't get to 5 goals this season as he'll create more chances for the side (note, this is different to assists) and ultimately make it a better side. If we had a player like him against Wednesday, we could have done a lot better late on.

Also, proven Championship goalscorer? You're having a laugh aren't you? Here is Davies Championship goal returns:

2008-09: 3

2009-10: 1

2010-11: 5

2011-12: 12

What a career!!! Compare this to Theo:

2008-09: 7 (League One)

2009-10: 13 (League One)

2010-11: 5

2011-12: 10

In fact, Sammon's last season playing regularly he got 15 in 23 games. Now, everyone says its a bit easier to score in Scotland, and I've previous found that players score a bit over half in the Championship to what they score in Scotland (Scott McDonald and Kris Boyd were key examples), so lets just take half as a rough guess. That means Sammon would score about 7-8 goals over 23 games, and as the Championship season is 46 games, this would go to roughly 15 goals. I'd be alright with that to be honest, its certainly better than Davies' best return at this level. Honestly though, I think he'll get somewhere between 5-10, but I feel he's general play with help the side overall, as Kuqi's did during the purple patch of 2010-11.

Anyhow, I'm sorry that you preferred Davies, but he's gone now, get over it.

If we're respecting his reasons Shilts then there is no need to question why he was touted to all clubs or what his problem was with being here. Respecting his reasons means we respect his reasons.

I'm not having the fact that you've judged him a weaker replacement bit who was sat on his arse either. Did you miss Davies' career record when he was with us?

It's cost us around 500k - 600k cash for Sammon when you add back the Davies fee. We were going to pay 600k cash for him last January.

I'm not seeing a reason to moan here but of course feel free to whine away.

Of course there is a reason to baulk at the fee- we were going to pay 600k for him before, we have paid out 600k for him now- apart from the little detail that we have lost a 1 million pound proven striker into the bargain!

I leave the past in the past. Davies scored 12 goals last season- the injury that sidelined him wasn't exactly hamstring trouble was it?

Judging on last seasons returns-

Davies-12 goals in limited appearances.

Sammon- considerably less than Jake Buxton

With all due respect I don't think you are getting this Shilts. We need in this division a player who can primarily hold the ball up, particularly when the team are under pressure and bring the midfield up the pitch and more into the game. I would venture to say that if Sammon was playing Saturday we would not have lost that 2nd half.

Steve Davies scored goals when he played but was never a team player. Over the course of his time with us he has not contributed enough. He also to cap it all, after being looked after while being unfit decides he needes to move for "family reasons". Fair enough but don't have a go at the manager for replacing him with the very necessary missing piece of the jigsaw.

Come on shilts - give over. first of all 750k is not half of 1.2m.

Secondly Steven Davies a proven championship goalscorer? he's got 26 goals in total and has he ever played more than 30 games a season? You're not just stretching some stats to make a cheap point are you?

The fee I heard was "undisclosed, thought to be around 600k"

[size=4]Davies played 94 times, scoring 23 goals. Not a bad return, how is that stretching anything?[/size]

With all due respect I don't think you are getting this Shilts. We need in this division a player who can primarily hold the ball up, particularly when the team are under pressure and bring the midfield up the pitch and more into the game. I would venture to say that if Sammon was playing Saturday we would not have lost that 2nd half.

Steve Davies scored goals when he played but was never a team player. Over the course of his time with us he has not contributed enough. He also to cap it all, after being looked after while being unfit decides he needes to move for "family reasons". Fair enough but don't have a go at the manager for replacing him with the very necessary missing piece of the jigsaw.

I don't think that you're getting it- where have I had a go at the manager? I am saying that we still need a striker that is going to get the goals whilst Sammon is holding up the play. I do think that we have paid over the odds, but I very much doubt that it is down to Nige.

I personally hope he does very well and whilst he is unproven at this level he may well score a hat full- I haven't said that he won't, just that he is not proven. As soon as anyone mentions that he is suddenly not about goals, more to hold up play. Despite the fact that he has been brought in to replace the goals form Davies and has been stated as such in many interviews

Archived