Steve Davies

Stive Pesley

Come on Shilts, that's just splitting hairs a bit isn't it. You'll be pointing out grammatical errors soon. I usually enjoy your posts as they come across as well reason but I think you're raging against popular opinion on this one...

Whenever I saw Davies play he came across as pretty lazy and you wouldn't call him a natural scorer or a target man or a 'No.9'.

For me this is a decent deal. There is absolutely no point in keeping a player who doesn't want to be here. NO POINT...

We're replacing him with a different type of player and the type of player we've been crying out for since Kuqi left. And before you ask why everyone keeps going on about Kuqi despite the fact he only scored one whilst with us, it's not his goals that everyone liked. Do you think it was purely coincedence he was in the team that enjoyed the best run of form that season and played some of the best football for a decade???

I stand by what I have said- 1 in 3.5 is a good return. I am not saying that he is a world beater and I am also not saying that I don't like Sammon, just that we have overpaid on an unproven striker. I appreciate that our hand has been forced and Davies wanted to leave, but doubling the fee that Wigan p;aid for him with him having done nothing in the interim just seems daft- especially as we weren't prepared to pay that when he was 18 months younger

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doctored?

To me, a proven striker at this level is someone who'd get 10-15 goals a season and has done so over a number of seasons. So far he's only managed 18 "as a striker" and 3 before that, and whilst he's had one okay season, I wouldn't say he's proven until he's repeated that at least once. 1 in every 3-4 is alright, but certainly nothing special. Last season there were of the order of 20 something players who had scored more than that, so getting around that for at least two seasons should be the very minimum to use to the term "proven" for his scoring record, surely...

I am even boring myself now! Agree to disagree then. I hope he scores a bagful (or helps the rest of the team to) and we can rest, safe in the knowledge that we have made an astute purchase- which Nige normally does.

I thought you said "exactly" to my rant about stats?!

Meaning that there is no point arguing over them and we can only go on what we have seen- and that is Davies sticking the ball in the goal whilst Sammon has been sat on arse. Anyway- I digress, welcome Conor- here's hoping you are a big hit

I am even boring myself now! Agree to disagree then. I hope he scores a bagful (or helps the rest of the team to) and we can rest, safe in the knowledge that we have made an astute purchase- which Nige normally does.

Again, Doctored? What was Doctored?! That is a very serious claim to make, and I ask you explain yourself at once.

Again, Doctored? What was Doctored?! That is a very serious claim to make, and I ask you explain yourself at once.

Rather then taking all of his appearances into account, you have somehow picked out the ones where he was played as striker. Whatever, you helped me to prove my point stronger by getting the goals to game ratio more favourable.

I stand by what I have said- 1 in 3.5 is a good return. I am not saying that he is a world beater and I am also not saying that I don't like Sammon, just that we have overpaid on an unproven striker. I appreciate that our hand has been forced and Davies wanted to leave, but doubling the fee that Wigan p;aid for him with him having done nothing in the interim just seems daft- especially as we weren't prepared to pay that when he was 18 months younger

From what I remember, our bid for Sammon was excepted but he chose to go to Wigan instead. As for what we've just paid, that's what happens when you want to but a premiership player, albeit one who didn't have the most successful time of it.

From what I remember, our bid for Sammon was excepted but he chose to go to Wigan instead. As for what we've just paid, that's what happens when you want to but a premiership player, albeit one who didn't have the most successful time of it.

Still seems over the odds but we'll see. If he is an out and out goalscorer it is a bargain. If he is a hold up player it isn't

Rather then taking all of his appearances into account, you have somehow picked out the ones where he was played as striker. Whatever, you helped me to prove my point stronger by getting the goals to game ratio more favourable.

The point was that I took the seasons where Clough was in charge of the entire season. Clough has played Davies mostly as a striker, so the assumption was that it was roughly the number of appearances he'd made as a striker.

The point was that I took the seasons where Clough was in charge of the entire season. Clough has played Davies mostly as a striker, so the assumption was that it was roughly the number of appearances he'd made as a striker.

Ok, I accept that. The fact that it was "roughly" is why the stats are doctored- it was no slight just that they weren't the actual appearance stats

Its a shame we coulden't keep hold of Davies and net a Sammon. Clough has nurtured Davies into a decent player despite his wretched history of injury set backs. If he stays injury free he will likely bang in plenty of goals for Brizzle. Its a big If though. Fact is he is gone. We don't know why he "had to go".

Ok, I accept that. The fact that it was "roughly" is why the stats are doctored- it was no slight just that they weren't the actual appearance stats

Well they were, it was all his appearances since 2009-10. Nothing was "Doctored" I just excluded 2008-09 from the dataset for a stated reason.

Still seems over the odds but we'll see. If he is an out and out goalscorer it is a bargain. If he is a hold up player it isn't

An out and out, proven goalscorer, even in this division would set you back £3m. I'd rather have an all rounder who can help create oppotunities for others. I think the goals will be shared round again this season.

[url=https://twitter.com/stevedavies2410]@stevedavies2410 good luck , will be nice to play for a manager who not nil & void of tactics ,

Savies just retweeted that. It seems he doesn't like NC. I'm unfollowing him, see how he likes that.

What a c*nt. Why would he RT that, 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/angry' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':angry:' />

We have sold an injury prone nothing striker who's entire game was about scoring. He had a sweet left boot, and he could do a job, but he couldn't hold it up and didn't work hard enough.

As for Sammon, he is a good player who can hold the ball up and bring others into play, something we had been missing for years. If he can do this job, I honestly don't care if he doesn't get to 5 goals this season as he'll create more chances for the side (note, this is different to assists) and ultimately make it a better side. If we had a player like him against Wednesday, we could have done a lot better late on.

Also, proven Championship goalscorer? You're having a laugh aren't you? Here is Davies Championship goal returns:

2008-09: 3

2009-10: 1

2010-11: 5

2011-12: 12

What a career!!! Compare this to Theo:

2008-09: 7 (League One)

2009-10: 13 (League One)

2010-11: 5

2011-12: 10

In fact, Sammon's last season playing regularly he got 15 in 23 games. Now, everyone says its a bit easier to score in Scotland, and I've previous found that players score a bit over half in the Championship to what they score in Scotland (Scott McDonald and Kris Boyd were key examples), so lets just take half as a rough guess. That means Sammon would score about 7-8 goals over 23 games, and as the Championship season is 46 games, this would go to roughly 15 goals. I'd be alright with that to be honest, its certainly better than Davies' best return at this level. Honestly though, I think he'll get somewhere between 5-10, but I feel he's general play with help the side overall, as Kuqi's did during the purple patch of 2010-11.

Anyhow, I'm sorry that you preferred Davies, but he's gone now, get over it.

I actually think sammon is a good signing, but onto Davies, last year you thought he was a good player, what's changed?

Archived