Steve Davies

Stive Pesley

[url=http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/story-15724101-detail/story.html]http://www.thisisder...tail/story.html

More meaningful quotes from Nigel:

STRIKER Steve Davies has been made available for transfer by Derby County after turning down the offer of a new contract.

Davies has another season to run on his current deal after the Rams took up the option of a 12-month extension.

But Derby's joint top scorer in 2011-12 has rejected a new three-year contract due to "family reasons".

As a result, manager Nigel Clough will look to cash in on the 24-year-old while he still can, otherwise the player could leave for free next summer.

"It's not through our choice," said Clough. "We offered him a new deal, which he turned down.

"It's got nothing to do with financial reasons – it's purely down to family circumstances.

"It is a genuine family reason and we respect Steven for that. I know some people will be sceptical about that but they shouldn't be.

"We have to accept it and move on.

"Technically, he's got a year left on his contract now and we're not in a position to let people run out (leave on a free transfer), so we'll get as good a fee as we can for him and look to replace him."

Davies struck 12 goals in 26 League appearance this season, having recovered from a fractured skull – an injury which could have ended his career.

The talented forward has been plagued by a series of injuries during his four seasons with Derby, since Paul Jewell signed him from Tranmere Rovers in the summer of 2008.

To date, he has made a total of 94 appearances for the club, including 39 as a substitute, and scored 23 goals.

"He's scored some valuable goals for us," said Clough. "I just wish he'd been on the pitch more than he has.

"The injuries he's had have been so unlucky in lots of ways – getting an elbow in the face and fracturing your skull, there's not a lot you can do about that.

"But he still retains that ability in terms of finishing and we will need to replace him.

"It might be that we get somebody who can play a few more games and get the same amount of goals, or a couple more, we hope.

"It has changed our plans a little bit. Ideally, we would have liked to have brought someone in and kept Steven as well.

"We can't quite do that now, so we'll step up our search."

Clough also confirmed the Rams were willing to listen to offers for Chris Maguire, James Bailey, Miles Addison and Lee Croft.

Maguire still has two years left to run on his contract after joining the club from Aberdeen last summer, while Bailey, Addison and Croft are all entering the final 12 months of their deals.

Maguire, Addison and Croft have spent time out on loan recently, while Bailey has been overtaken in the pecking order by the emergence of Jeff Hendrick in central midfield.

Addison is wanted by League One side Bournemouth, where he ended this season on loan.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much should we get for Davies, Croft, Addison, Maguire and Bailey?

Little worried about Bailey going, which he probably will, unless it's re-invested in a midfield nut job. Other than that ger em gone and get this striker we've been waiting for.

Little worried about Bailey going, which he probably will, unless it's re-invested in a midfield nut job. Other than that ger em gone and get this striker we've been waiting for.

Well the figure quoted for Davies is £1 million, the other 4 i reckon will be a combined fee of around £1million as well. give or take £100,000 (Croft free, Addison £300,000, Bailey £400,000, Maguire £400,000)

Gives £2million to spend, of which 75% of it has to be spent buying a replacement for Davies and in that a better goalscorer.

The other will probably be spent on Jacobs

As long as the money is reinvested to bring in someone of the same ability or better I'll be happy. It's not many moons ago that people (including me) were slating him for his work rate and the fact he wasn't an out & out striker or midfielder. As for Bailey I'd rather see him stay and fight for his place as there really isn't much difference between him and Hendrick and if either him or Bryson get injured who've we got to fall back on? Bavies & the young lad who played against Posh (sorry it's early & I was up all night packing for a trip to Italy so don't go on...)? Yes the kids did well stepping up last season but we really need a bit of strength in depth...

Davies will be a huge loss to us. It's not just the goals he scores but also how he scores them. He is one of the few players we have that can score a goal out of nowhere. He managed four winners for us this season which suggests without him we may have been close to a relegation battle.

This figure of 1M pounds may sound a good price but when you factor in agents fees and signing on fees you are likely left with around two thirds of that for the actual fee.

Clubs pay a premium for goalscorers as Leicester have proved paying what could rise to 1.7M for a non league forward. To replace like for like for half of that amount is a tough ask at a time when Clough really needed to be adressing his midfield and defensive options.

Well the figure quoted for Davies is £1 million, the other 4 i reckon will be a combined fee of around £1million as well. give or take £100,000 (Croft free, Addison £300,000, Bailey £400,000, Maguire £400,000)

Gives £2million to spend, of which 75% of it has to be spent buying a replacement for Davies and in that a better goalscorer.

The other will probably be spent on Jacobs

Thanks mate, not too bad then providing we can get that. All should attract good bids.

I think it's possible that Davies has seen the new Kappa track suits for next season, as a scouser a track suit is an important piece of clothing. The thought of having to dress his family in Kappa next season embarrasses him and quite rightly so, obviously influenced his decision to leave Derby.

We could sit and blame Glick for doing a deal with Kappa but we don't know what if any the alternative options would of been, it could of been Macron! That Leeds me on to Leeds quite nicely, can't see him going there to be honest, come on.....Macron? There's no way he join Leeds.

Oh, and despite his goals this season I'm not going cry over Davies leaving, we may as well give him our treatment table to take with him, his arse print will be well and truly implanted into the leather. Time to move on, new striker and new treatment table.

If there were a few more footballers about with the attitude that Steve has shown the game as a whole would be the better for it. He has shown greet a strength of character in the way he has come back from serious injuries.

He will be missed but we wish him all the very best in the rest of his career.

@Fourth_Official reports Derby County's Steve Davies set to be transfer listed after turning down two new contract offers

?! The Twitter account is a Tranmere fan so could explain the insider info

And so it turns out the news was actually broken on Twitter on 30th April Or as I was told when I posted the above link - it's a "rubbish rumour"

I had a feeling it might turn out to be true as it seemed a bit of a pointless thing to make up at the time.

Barton??

At the end of the day, he scored 12 goals for us (whilst having to deal with various injuries, not least the last one).

Without his goals we would have finished further down the league wouldn't we? So for that reason I'll say ta Savies and thanks for your contribution. I wish him well with his future plans.

Question is will the board spend owt to replace him or make do with who we've got? Theo, Ball, Wardy etc

Archived