Shaun Barker

Day

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting to see what Clough does in the summer, he did speak about maybe looking for a replacement if Barker was going to be out for a while.

Personally I'd stick with Shackell and O'Brien with Buxton and Naylor as backup, bringing in a loan later in the season if needed.

Spend what little money we do have in midfield.

Club have also said they're not looking to bring anyone in before the loan window closes, so we're going with the cover we've got currently and anything else will be for next season. Guess they're figuring we're safe from relegation so don't need to spend money on another wage for a loanee.

I don't expect us to be spending any money we have in the summer on another centre-back even with Barker's long-term absence. I would expect Shackell and O'Brien to become the first choice pairing with Buxton and Naylor in reserve and a loan signing being drafted in if further injuries or suspensions occur. I can't say I am overjoyed at that prospect because I know what misfortune we have with injuries but it is what it is. It's going to be another big year for Mark O'Brien's development, that's for sure.

There's only 8 games left isn't there? So although it sucks big time that Barker is out, we don't have to worry to much about the rest of this season in terms of cover. It'd be nice to finish higher up, hope that works out, but I won't be to concerned about it now.

I'd like the youth to get some game time, at least 3 or 4 games anyway. Don't see the point in a few last minute sub appearences, so hopefully they get at least a half or a starting spot...should it happen.

I'd imagine Clough has all his targets set out by now, it took him all of what? three weeks last time around. Roll on't summer!

Although I don't rate him as highly as others, you've got to feel sorry for him.. The guy is plagued with injuries mostly through bad luck..

Now we'll just see how valuabl Buxton is as he surely will be playing alongside Shackell at the back.. Funny how a month ago people were calling for Buxton to be shot of..

Whilst I don't think he's good enough to be a regular at this level, having him around the squad and standing in for injuries and suspensions you can definately say he's worth having in the squad.

Although I don't rate him as highly as others, you've got to feel sorry for him.. The guy is plagued with injuries mostly through bad luck..

Now we'll just see how valuabl Buxton is as he surely will be playing alongside Shackell at the back.. Funny how a month ago people were calling for Buxton to be shot of..

Whilst I don't think he's good enough to be a regular at this level, having him around the squad and standing in for injuries and suspensions you can definately say he's worth having in the squad.

yeah, you can see what Clough sees in Jakey boy.

Lacks a yard of pace and an inch or two 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':o' /> to be a NPL level player, but he's a good chap to have about. Never lets the team down when called upon and is probably the lowest paid senior professional at the club.

Buxton is our 4th choice CB and earns £2k a week tops. Our previous 4th choice CB earned around £10k a week. I'm glad some of the Buxton haters now appreciate him more. I wonder if they'll apologise to the posters they ridiculed for defending him.

He seems a really good guy and the team appear to really respect him. I hope he recovers quick and returns as commanding as before. To see him in the tunnel before the game on Saturday encouraging his team mates speaks volumes for the man! Good luck captain and cant wait to see you out on the Pride Park pitch in 2013.

Archived