Shaun Barker

Day

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Derby County are waiting to discover the full extent of Captain Shaun Barker's knee injury.

The 29-year-old suffered the injury during the second half of Derby's 1-0 win over Nottingham Forest on Tuesday evening in an unfortunate collision in his own penalty area when making a defensive clearance.

He received medical attention for well over five minutes before eventually being carried off on a stretcher and he was taken away to hospital after the final whistle.

Knee Blow: Shaun Barker is carried off against Forest after suffering a knee injury

Head Physio Neil Sullivan has revealed to dcfc.co.uk that Barker dislocated the patella in his right knee, and will be fully assessed on Wednesday to determine how serious the injury is and how long he will be out of action for.

Speaking after the win over Forest, manager Nigel Clough said: "We're all gutted for Shaun and losing him has taken the gloss off of the victory somewhat because he is such an influential figure for us both in the dressing room and on the pitch."

Barker, who is set to certainly miss the rest of the campaign, missed the start of the 2011-12 season after undergoing knee surgery last April, before eventually making his comeback in November and has racked up 22 appearances in total this season in Derby colours.

http://www.dcfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10270~2657912,00.html

b00a52c1-713e-cd52

Horrible image!!

If it's just a dislocation am I right in thinking that the time to come back from that sort of injury isn't to bad? no point in rushing him back for this season, just hope he can get a full pre season and not like he was for this season, lets face it with him we could of been in a better position, maybe.

He is a great player at this level, and a top captain!

See the forest fan on Central news made a 1-0 win for derby look like a fluke.

Mentioned the 'derby fans' chanting about doughty.

Did we ever hear about the forest fans chanting about Kriss Commons baby?????

Idiot.

That has put a smile on my face that is a fan who needs to go to spec savers we battered em for most of the game they never looked like they had a foothold a couple of dangerous set pieces but nowt else

I felt a bit shook up when he went down and all the players were screaming for paramedics, really wish him all the best.

I thought it was a clash of heads to begin with as he wasn't moving. If that were me I'd be rolling around crying like a girl, Barks was keeping quiet controlling the pain. Legend!!!

Get well soon Barks.

From what I have heard he was in and out of casualty quite quickly last night, thank god RDH has great Orthopedics, hopefully that is an indication that it might not be out until October, which would be the worse case scenario.

Never mind your pain- how long were you out for? 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

I was out for 6+ months with a shoulder dislocation. Not sure if knee is worse or better. I did have loss of sensation for 4 months due to nerve damage though which might have been why the doc said no football until I say so.

I was out for 6+ months with a shoulder dislocation. Not sure if knee is worse or better. I did have loss of sensation for 4 months due to nerve damage though which might have been why the doc said no football until I say so.

Should think that knees are worse but I dare say that Barks will be receiving much better medical care than your good self (unless you are a professional sports person or rich?) so hopefully he should be back early season. Either way, lets not rush him and ensure that he is ready to come back in

That is one of those pictures that you go arggghh and shrink into yourselves. Lease it is now. It will take about 3 months I had a mate who I played rugby with back in 80's (his knee cap was just about at the back of his knee) he was back playing in 4moths. With compression tanks, physio, rehab at his beck and call injuries like this don't take as long. Look at when Keane injuried his knee playing for Utd he was back within 9 months now the same injuries (Savies and Green are testament) are back in 6 months. This isn't ACL reconstruction.

Found below information about treatment and recovery. It looks like he will be back for pres-season just depends on the scan and if any damage to cartlidge or ligaments. Info from [url=http://nemsi.uchc.edu/clinical_services/orthopaedic/knee/patellar_dislocation.html]http://nemsi.uchc.edu/clinical_services/orthopaedic/knee/patellar_dislocation.html

[size=3]Treatment[/size]

[size=3]Non-operative

Normal care of patellar dislocations, when a loose fragment has not been created is the immobilization of the knee for a short period of time (seven to 10 days). During this time, the swelling is reduced and the acute discomfort of the dislocation decreases. Slow mobilization of the knee and of the patellofemoral joint is then begun, and usually full recovery can be expected within a three to six week period. This period of time is significantly lengthened when the patellar dislocation is recurrent.[/size]

[size=3]Unfortunately, once a patellar dislocation occurs, especially when it occurs in a situation where hyperlaxity of the ligaments exists, which is commonly the case, recurrent dislocations can be expected. These are significantly problematic for athletes as they often come in the midst of the season. Conservative management of these problems in season with appropriate rest, appropriate hip and thigh muscle strengthening, and perhaps the use of a patellar buttress brace is appropriate.[/size]

[size=3]Alternative Treatment Options[/size]

[size=3]Operative[/size]

[size=3]Some situations of patellar dislocation can and/or should be treated surgically. One situation is when recurrent dislocations occur. In these situations, to limit the amount of lost time in competition and to reduce the chances for cartilage lesions on the undersurface of the patella, which often are non-reparable, patellar stabilization procedures are appropriate. These procedures can be either soft tissue or bone procedures, or a combination thereof. First-time traumatic patellar dislocations can also be treated with procedures such as this, and in chosen situations doing so may be appropriate.[/size]

[size=3]It has been found in retrospective studies that the incidence of recurrent dislocation after the first dislocation occurs can be as high as 40 percent. Surgically treating those dislocations by lessening lateral tension and tightening medial restraint could reduce this recurrence rate to below 10 percent.[/size]

[size=3]Surgical procedures on the patella are usually done in the out-patient setting. Procedures limited to altering soft-tissue tension begin rehabilitation within a week and return to activity can be expected as early as six weeks. Procedures that require bone work (osteotomies) require a period of relative immobilization and need 10 to 12 weeks before a return to athletic activity is permitted.[/size]

He stayed until the end of the match, showing his commitment to the cause and not someone who is there to pick up his wages and feck off home! A true character, and one a few more players could use as a role model. A true leader and a true captain. Well done Mr Barker and all the best in your recovery, hopefully he'll be back for the beginning of next season, hopefully get a a week or two of pre-season so he's not to far behind everyone else. My mate dislocated his knee cap, two years ago, and it still is not right, lost a lot of pace and confidence to, although he never had surgery and the 1 on 1 physio barker will be exposed to.

Get well soon captain!

Archived