Are the investor scared of success?

Boycie

If we were to eventually get into the prem, we'd need serious investment in the team with players on wages that would blow massive holes in our wage structure.

In the present financial climate, do our owners have the stomach or money for a proper promotion push into the promised land?

Or, with the constant references to the fair play rules at every interview given by the club, are they building a product fit for immediate sale when the rules come in.

I think they would rather get a smaller return from this avenue, rather than a possible larger return after having to invest heavily in a prem team.

That's my view, because if they can't see we need some quality proven players right now, they must be blind.

What do you think?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given Cloughs record with buying players - cwyka, Martin, B Davies, maguire, croft, doyle and now Bailey, if you were a successful business man would entrust Clough to go out and buy quality?

I would say: prove to me you can work with a player that has skill, then I'll buy you more types of that player.

They have never done or said anything that would suggest they have the slightest inclination to invest their own money into the playing squad.

everyone banging on about them giving Jewell money to waste needs to remember that was prem. money earned before they came to the club.

What we saw last night will continue to get worse while they control the club and supporters continue to bankroll them through season ticket sales.

Buycott now

They have never done or said anything that would suggest they have the slightest inclination to invest their own money into the playing squad.

everyone banging on about them giving Jewell money to waste needs to remember that was prem. money earned before they came to the club.

What we saw last night will continue to get worse while they control the club and supporters continue to bankroll them through season ticket sales.

Buycott now

That's not quite true. They have invested their own money in the club. Although, since they have been here it appears (too many undisclosed fees to be sure) that incoming transfer fees have been roughly balanced by outgoing ones, the investors have put money in to cover the cashflow shortfall. Incoming fees could have been used to cover some of this, giving Jewell and Clough even less of a budget to work with.

Recently on Derby County Mad some posters have seemingly been emailing Andy Appleby to complain about the state of the club. One chap told Appleby that GSE should sell the club to someone who cares. OK, the reply could be a fiction, but to me it had a ring of truth; Appleby replied to the effect that of course GSE cared, as shown by the fact that they had invested £25m since the takeover.

Just over a year ago I'm pretty sure that Glick claimed that £25m had been invested since the takeover. If my recollection is correct, and all parties are telling the truth, no investment has been made in the club for around fourteen months. That, perhaps, explains the need for all the cost cutting.

as i said here Boycie, its a puzzle etc, (cos to our board the sums of money to sell atm, in terms of net profit, is peanuts, so i really dont understand what they are in it for now? ) maybe the Plaza ....?

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:48 AM

http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_images/master/snapbackcurb, on 18 February 2012 - 08:17 PM, said:

Seems as though the whole point is useless, we haven't got the money for experienced players.

http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_images/master/snapbackramblur, on 18 February 2012 - 08:39 PM, said:

It always used to be said that you could introduce 1 young player into a team,and maybe 2 into a good team and that any more would be really pushing it.I reckon you could do a lot of harm to youngsters if handled wrongly.

http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_images/master/snapbackAndyB, on 18 February 2012 - 08:41 PM, said:

nfb I think our young midfielders and strikers would benefit hugely from playing with good, experienced midfielders and strikers, good point. They don't need to cost the earth, just be better than we've got. Based on recent performances from our front 6 this shouldn't be difficult! However our board don't have the ability to see this.

Exactly my point Curbs, it is pointless, thats just it..... i cant believe that clever,wealthy people could be bothered to invest the time and money for (as i said) 'peanuts' ?, unless their business model is Crewe !

My worry is that maybe the owners being mostly foreign,dont understand the dynamics of football,as Ramblur and Andy B say, they are potentially not maximising their investment, in my opinion by not investing in some experience to bring the youngsters on properly, and increase their value, if they are to be sold ?

As we know, they are seriously wealthy, so the money is there ,although we are told there isnt any!

So thats been my point in my last few posts, what do the board intend for us, do they have another 'concept' for us after the abandonment of the 'Global Brand'.

If so will we ever know it, so we can get behind it/them, or are they disinterested? I cant believe the latter, as they would have sold us by now because of the dwindling lack of return, and lack of forseeable real money from the Prem etc.

Its a puzzle inside a conundrum............

I would hazard a guess we're for sale but no one is buying at the minute! They continue to cover losses and I appreciate that, as well as putting the odd bit of money into the playing squad to keep us afloat in this division and I believe they're running the club decent enough on the budget they have set aside.

The problem they have is the fans, fans on the whole aren't very bright and they have expectations far above than our budget is, so like Forest and doughty there will always be calls for them to leave, step aside...etc and people expect that a new person will come in and spend 10million straight away and we'll be promoted and we'll never call for a managers head again... how very wrong

Clough was to go today, I would care to bet that the replacement would have calls for his head before the year is out.

the board was to go, I would care to bet that whoever came in would carry on in the same vain to make us self sufficient.

I would suggest to the people who moan, either buy the club yourself or in the instance you aren't a multi-billionaire then find someone who will buy the club, even the most hardened fan wouldn't buy the club if they had the money, and if they did.. they certainly wouldn't throw money at it like they suggest others should!

Maybe they're stuck with us and don't know what to do about it.

Stick or twist?

If they are unsure, then they should find the quickest exit and see if someone else will have a go.

Problem is that the investors are in for around £41m. I can't see anyone giving them that back. It would also damage GSE's reputation and visible portfolio.

I'm pretty sure that they are now aiming for self sustainability (ie no external investment) and, perhaps, a small dividend each year, until we either fluke a promotion or FFP makes us a 'big hitter' in the division.

Problem is that the investors are in for around £41m. I can't see anyone giving them that back. It would also damage GSE's reputation and visible portfolio.

I'm pretty sure that they are now aiming for self sustainability (ie no external investment) and, perhaps, a small dividend each year, until we either fluke a promotion or FFP makes us a 'big hitter' in the division.

That's pretty much it, they're 'sitting' on an investment with Glick doing the donkey work for them.

as previously stated though, no-one is around to buy so for the minute I prefer the option of their support covering losses and chucking bits and bobs at Clough for the first team rather than the other option of absolutely no support from anywhere.

if someone offers you 100 pound or nothing, you take the 100 pound and thank them.

No, because a DOF is usually involved in the off field stuff, I'm talking two managers at the helm till the end of the season, with Nigel learning off the more experienced one.

But why? Why get a 2nd manager in. Why not just a new one? Just because he's Nigel Clough, why does that afford him the special treatment.

Archived