Are the investor scared of success?

Boycie

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can understand your frustrations if you've been sitting on the edge of your seat waiting for that moment when everything clicks, and suddenly what we have become world beaters.

To be honest I've expected a bit more this season. We've had another couple of promising spells, but then slump back into inconsitency and a bad run of games. I say inconsistent, but when we win, we win a few, when we lose, we lose a few. That's pretty consistent of Derby over the last few years.

We don't draw many games. Whats up with that?

Anyway, it's an improvement on the last few seasons because we aren't battling against relegation. We haven't been anywhere near it all season. Maybe the squad have become complacent? Don't want to drop down into those realms. Last 3 seasons, that's exactly where we've been...last 4 infact.

I'm disappointed myself, expected to be in the top half all season, but we've dipped into 15th a couple of times.

Edge of my seat becoming world beaters, I havent been sat on the edge of my seat with this team for a long time, amazing that its called an entertainment business, and this season I can count on one hand that being the case.

Also before you start to get carried away too much by our vast improvement, if you take out last season, Im pretty sure we are down on points after the same number of games played, and that is the case I think on the season that the manager got sacked.

Could be wrong and Im sure that someone will correct me id thats the case :-)

Edge of my seat becoming world beaters, I havent been sat on the edge of my seat with this team for a long time, amazing that its called an entertainment business, and this season I can count on one hand that being the case.

Also before you start to get carried away too much by our vast improvement, if you take out last season, Im pretty sure we are down on points after the same number of games played, and that is the case I think on the season that the manager got sacked.

Could be wrong and Im sure that someone will correct me id thats the case :-)

Not down on points, we're actually 1 point to the good on the 08/09 season. Clough had been in charge for four games.

Since Clough has had the whole season, we're 3 points to the good on 09/10 and 6 points to the good on 10/11.

Nothing dramatic, but considering all the ins and outs, not bad. Largely a young squad at Derby. We have the 2nd youngest squad in this division, so it's not as bad as people make out. Although disappointing to still be languishing in the bottom half, a bit of optimism wouldn't go amiss instead of getting on this young teams back. They need our support.

2 minutes into the game yesterday and already the home 'support' were moaning after a somewhat optimistic start in terms of vocalness. Then boo's at half time. Better support in the 2nd half and then boo's at full time.

Disgusting!

We're supposed to support the team, particularly the youngsters, but all most can do is bitch and moan. Ridiculous.

So basically your scared that we may go down? Do we really spend less than all the clubs above us? Do you think clough gets the best out of the players at his disposal? As good managers do. Look at Swansea they were ok under there last manager but wanted to step up so made the tough decision and brought Rodgers in who had failed at his lost job. Norwich after one game sacked gunn and brought in lambert. I'm sure our owners didn't make the money they had from fear of failure. No one gets that rich being that cautious.

Sousa left to join Leicester and then got sacked and incidently leicester went down that season, and rodgers was the best they could afford at the time, nothing towards moving forward... Gunn was sacked for losing to Lambert 7-1 in the first game in league one.

I just don't think there is anyone out there who would take the team forward, I mean it's a big ask with limited funds... it would be a gamble no doubt. whoever we got in.

We have an experienced manager who is settled here with his team admitted it blows hot and cold but I don't want to find out if Ian Dowie can get Derby promoted 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' />

Sousa left to join Leicester and then got sacked and incidently leicester went down that season, and rodgers was the best they could afford at the time, nothing towards moving forward... Gunn was sacked for losing to Lambert 7-1 in the first game in league one.

I just don't think there is anyone out there who would take the team forward, I mean it's a big ask with limited funds... it would be a gamble no doubt. whoever we got in.

We have an experienced manager who is settled here with his team admitted it blows hot and cold but I don't want to find out if Ian Dowie can get Derby promoted 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' />

As most clubs get a bit of a new manager bounce - even West Bridgeford Spinny, I wonder whether we should pioneer the use of guest managers? A new manager every week - that's the way to go. We could get Igor to do a week, Sav for a week, Hope Powell for week, even Tim Brooke-Taylor (he'd be goody). We could raise cash by running an auction to be a guest manager. Just think of the marketing possibilites. I really do think that TG is missing a trick 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

That's not quite true. They have invested their own money in the club. Although, since they have been here it appears (too many undisclosed fees to be sure) that incoming transfer fees have been roughly balanced by outgoing ones, the investors have put money in to cover the cashflow shortfall. Incoming fees could have been used to cover some of this, giving Jewell and Clough even less of a budget to work with.

Recently on Derby County Mad some posters have seemingly been emailing Andy Appleby to complain about the state of the club. One chap told Appleby that GSE should sell the club to someone who cares. OK, the reply could be a fiction, but to me it had a ring of truth; Appleby replied to the effect that of course GSE cared, as shown by the fact that they had invested £25m since the takeover.

Just over a year ago I'm pretty sure that Glick claimed that £25m had been invested since the takeover. If my recollection is correct, and all parties are telling the truth, no investment has been made in the club for around fourteen months. That, perhaps, explains the need for all the cost cutting.

Yep,it's always handy to remember what's been said,CornwallRam.Appleby is alleged to have given the £25m figure in several reproduced emails from a year ago.

This is an extract from the DET piece on the cashback offer (a link I've provided twice recently)."Glick said the club's owners have invested £24m of their own money since their arrival in Jan 08 and are prepared to provide a fresh cash injection in a bid to launch a genuine promotion challenge next term"

Appleby's £25m of a year ago minus Appleby's recent £25m appears to equal zero.As for Glick's £24m,perhaps he's singing from a different hymn sheet,or perhaps they've both rounded a figure,but in opposite directions.

Yep,it's always handy to remember what's been said,CornwallRam.Appleby is alleged to have given the £25m figure in several reproduced emails from a year ago.

This is an extract from the DET piece on the cashback offer (a link I've provided twice recently)."Glick said the club's owners have invested £24m of their own money since their arrival in Jan 08 and are prepared to provide a fresh cash injection in a bid to launch a genuine promotion challenge next term"

Appleby's £25m of a year ago minus Appleby's recent £25m appears to equal zero.As for Glick's £24m,perhaps he's singing from a different hymn sheet,or perhaps they've both rounded a figure,but in opposite directions.

Yes but are they scared of going up and being made to invest heavily?

Yes but are they scared of going up and being made to invest heavily?

Why should they be scared of being made to invest heavily?They get away with investing little now,so a few million out of vast Prem income should be a breeze-just season with a bit of prudence and sustainability.In response to the motivation for your question,I think the simple answer is that there's probably no money.If I took off my Ram's hat and put myself in the position of the investors,I wouldn't put in a single bean more.Not a cat in hell's chance. Successful investors run with good investments and exit badly performing ones (and if an exit isn't possible,they certainly don't throw more cash at it).

I don't think a 10year plan as been mentioned,I think 10years was how long it took nigel to get burton to the verge of promotion,just before he joined derby.

Mention of the ten year plan here: [url=http://www.football.co.uk/derby_county/clough_takes_up_rams_reins_276241.shtml]http://www.football.co.uk/derby_county/clough_takes_up_rams_reins_276241.shtml

Why should they be scared of being made to invest heavily?They get away with investing little now,so a few million out of vast Prem income should be a breeze-just season with a bit of prudence and sustainability.In response to the motivation for your question,I think the simple answer is that there's probably no money.If I took off my Ram's hat and put myself in the position of the investors,I wouldn't put in a single bean more.Not a cat in hell's chance. Successful investors run with good investments and exit badly performing ones (and if an exit isn't possible,they certainly don't throw more cash at it).

I suspect you're right. Anyway, it's more like a gamble than an investment, football - just like it's true that you've got a bigger chance of winning the lottery if you buy more tickets. Is that an investment or a gamble?

The bosses are backing Clough, Clough has a 10 year plan. Would suggest they're singing from the same hymn sheet.

Pearson was one of his bosses at that time, he's the one relaying the 10 year plan info.

Why would you start throwing big money at it if you've got a specific game plan in mind?

It's obviously been build from the bottom up, meaning youth. That has always been part of the plan as well, they used to call it development squad. Probably still do. I'm sure you can find references to that if you doubt it.

Archived