Are the investor scared of success?

Boycie

The bosses are backing Clough, Clough has a 10 year plan. Would suggest they're singing from the same hymn sheet.

Why would you start throwing big money at it if you've got a specific game plan in mind?

It's obviously been build from the bottom up, meaning youth. That has always been part of the plan as well, they used to call it development squad. Probably still do. I'm sure you can find references to that if you doubt it.

This is correct, but as soon as Derby sell a young player who has prospects to a large club it undermines this totally. Unless they get a large fee, and it's not undisclosed and it's re invested in a player who is as good.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is correct, but as soon as Derby sell a young player who has prospects to a large club it undermines this totally. Unless they get a large fee, and it's not undisclosed and it's re invested in a player who is as good.

There is that I suppose, but most of the younguns say they are happy with the set up here so why would they want to move? It's not like they're going to walk into a top premiership clubs senior squad. Derby's development/youth squads are all challenging with the big guns in their leagues and cups, so they are as well off here as they would be there, plus there is a chance of first team football at Derby.

If big money is offered, then obviously they would go. Then it's down to the board reinvesting that into the playing staff and we move from there. Ala Southampton at a guess.

How can anyone plan 10yrs in football. That's about 4 entirely different squads. Avoiding relegation and an accidental promotion (again).

You can't ask for 10 years. Certainly not from players. And even fans might not bother until things perk up.

What can they have planned? To get the wage budget where? To have an entire academy produced team playing at this level or higher?

Impossible. I don't understand what Clough means.

How can anyone plan 10yrs in football. That's about 4 entirely different squads. Avoiding relegation and an accidental promotion (again).

You can't ask for 10 years. Certainly not from players. And even fans might not bother until things perk up.

What can they have planned? To get the wage budget where? To have an entire academy produced team playing at this level or higher?

Impossible. I don't understand what Clough means.

At Clough's press conference,upon appointment,it was mentioned how long it took him at Burton to get promoted.Seem to remember he laughed and joked that he hoped it wouldn't take that long here.I suspect this is where the 10 year business comes from.In more recent times,the only plan I can recall hearing about was Glick's five year plan (which I've just seen mentioned elsewhere,so I've obviously not imagined it).

There is that I suppose, but most of the younguns say they are happy with the set up here so why would they want to move? It's not like they're going to walk into a top premiership clubs senior squad. Derby's development/youth squads are all challenging with the big guns in their leagues and cups, so they are as well off here as they would be there, plus there is a chance of first team football at Derby.

If big money is offered, then obviously they would go. Then it's down to the board reinvesting that into the playing staff and we move from there. Ala Southampton at a guess.

Because we pay £5,00 a week and other clubs live in the real world?

Comparing us to Southampton assumes that we actually have players worth buying.

Because we pay £5,00 a week and other clubs live in the real world?

Comparing us to Southampton assumes that we actually have players worth buying.

I was merely suggesting that if a player was to develop into a top class type player such as Oxlade Chamberlain, it would require big money to buy him. Ala Southampton.

Not sure what you're talking about RE: £5,00 a week?

If any club comes in for one of younger players, they'll be off like a shot because;

They'll be willing to pay them proper wages,

There'll be no thought of what he will bring to the club in the future, we'll be desperate to cash in.

I really can't understand this bit about it being a problem if any good youngsters end up sold to richer clubs.

Wayne Rooney, Ashley Cole, Rio, Joe Hart, Jones, Smalling, Henderson, etc, etc, all left the clubs that had nurtured them, looked after them, trained them, for teams who could offer more money. There is absolutely jackshit we can do about this.

Derby's best bet is if we can get a silly fee for an Oxtail-soup-chamberlain type player so we can then pressure the board to give that cash to the manager.

Why should they be scared of being made to invest heavily?They get away with investing little now,so a few million out of vast Prem income should be a breeze-just season with a bit of prudence and sustainability.In response to the motivation for your question,I think the simple answer is that there's probably no money.If I took off my Ram's hat and put myself in the position of the investors,I wouldn't put in a single bean more.Not a cat in hell's chance. Successful investors run with good investments and exit badly performing ones (and if an exit isn't possible,they certainly don't throw more cash at it).

Should point out that I was putting myself in the shoes of an investor who had no emotional attachment to the club,i.e. purely business.

A 10 year plan in football is nonsense. How do we recruit anyone with our current ethos?

"there's exciting times at the club, we are 3 years in to a 10 year plan. You're 26 so by the time we have anything to cheer about you'll be 33 and probably miss it. We can, however, offer year on year improvement, apart from last year when we finished 19th which was lower than the year before. On the plus side though we only have to finish 18th this year for most of the fans to be happy we're improving. Now I know you're a central midfielder, but I'll probably play you on the wing, or full back or basically a lot of positions you've never played before. With that in mind you'll probably expect a bit of understanding from me, however you wont get it. If you fail to do what I say I'll probably public criticise you, drop you to the reserves, loan you out and then let you go for free and it will be your loss when we are all celebrating in 7 years time."

Even our youth players will be getting on a bit when this 10 year plan is reaching its pinnacle. What is the goal for the 10 year plan anyway? They may say they have a plan but a plan to do what? In 10 years will they expect promotion? Security in the Prem? Europe? It's alright telling people there's a 10 year plan but then at least say what the goal of that plan is.

My concern is not that we have young (cheap) players, but that they seem not to have developed with experience but rather have gone backwards. Bailey, Hendrick, Ward, Ball and Robinson are all worse players now than before Christmas. They seem less confident in their own ability. We have had a number of teenagers in the past who have pulled up trees in the reserves but never made it through the first team. Who is in charge of the actual development of these young players once they are in the first team?

My concern is not that we have young (cheap) players, but that they seem not to have developed with experience but rather have gone backwards. Bailey, Hendrick, Ward, Ball and Robinson are all worse players now than before Christmas. They seem less confident in their own ability. We have had a number of teenagers in the past who have pulled up trees in the reserves but never made it through the first team. Who is in charge of the actual development of these young players once they are in the first team?

Errr the manager and his coaches.

May I just add to my recruitment drive speech above

"Oh and by the way, you're not my first choice signing, but we don't have a lot of cash so you'll have to do. Just remember that because should we start having a run of bad results I'll be on the TV and radio telling everyone the other team has better players because they have money and we had to go for you through lack of options. Try not to let that get you down though because if it does I'll drop you to the reserves, loan you out the release you on a free."

The evidence is they want to stabilise the wage bill so we break even. They have stated they won't go down the 'Leicester/West Ham' route of gambling on fees and high wages. So yes, it is a fact.

I personally dont see the link, to your original comment of them being scared to fail,and that, just throwing large amounts of money at a team isnt prudent, and as we know has lead to many a clubs downfall, so if not doing so is being scared of failing, then i dont blame them, and i wouldnt want them to jeapodise DCFC like that, because as we have seen previously, its rarely the owners who suffer,the money (like rangers are discovering) comes from hocking the clubs resourses somehow........

I personally dont see the link, to your original comment of them being scared to fail,and that, just throwing large amounts of money at a team isnt prudent, and as we know has lead to many a clubs downfall, so if not doing so is being scared of failing, then i dont blame them, and i wouldnt want them to jeapodise DCFC like that, because as we have seen previously, its rarely the owners who suffer,the money (like rangers are discovering) comes from hocking the clubs resourses somehow........

I wasn't criticising their approach, just objectively commenting on it. They have decided not to gamble on extra fees and wages, because it is just that, a gamble. If they could guarantee by giving clough £10m to speand of fees and allowing the wage bill to be £3m a year higher that we would be promoted, then they'd givehim the money. The potential income of the Premier League is such that they would be repaid, repaid many times over if we established ourselves there.

The fact is, they are not prepared to gamble because they are not prepared to risk failing, as this would lead to massive losses and their investment being written off. That's not a criticism, it's just describing the current position.

However like Norwich have done, by investing smartly can bring rich rewards, they have built on a good crowd base and with that has seen them return to the PL with a team that will not go down this year.

Quoting rangers is an extreme, and I can only assume that the investors are not scared to put money in, but are unwilling, we quote the foxes owners as getting bored and leaving them up the creek, but what is the difference between them and our owners?

Archived