Recipes

Bris Vegas

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wholeheartedly recommend the following two books (shop around and you can pick them up really cheaply - the first one was recently in the Works for 99p and they're both cheap for Kindle):

[url=http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Takeaway-Secret-Favourite-Fast-food/dp/0716022354/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350993508&sr=8-1]The Takeaway Secret

[url=http://www.amazon.co.uk/More-Takeaway-Secrets-Kenny-McGovern/dp/0716023008/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1350993508&sr=8-2]More Takeaway Secrets

They're written by a guy who has perfected many famous fast food recipes for cooking at home (and they do actually taste authentic). They're really simple and because you're cooking it yourself they're a lot healthier than real takeaways. Note that the real names can't be used but it doesn't take a genius to realise that a Mega Burger is a Big Mac (when you read the descriptions). My personal faves are the lamb doner kebab from the first book and garlic pizza bread from the second. And seriously, unlike most recipe books you'll definitely go back and try multiple different recipes.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just bought myself (the wife) an oven after managing for 8 years without one (ovens are very rare in Japan).

.......her indoors has been 16 years without a cooker !!!!!

This house didn't come with one....and i've never quite got round to sorting it.

• 3 months later...

Wish I'd seen this thread before!

When I moved in with the missus 5 years ago we bought a slow cooker. Just because everybody kept going on about them. 5 years later we still hadn't touched it..... Until 2 weeks ago

omg. Why did it take 5 years? I can't cook to save my life but with this bad boy I can create almost anything. If anybody hasn't got a slow cooker but has heard the hype then get one. Frickin awesome!

LadyRam, you seem to know your shizzle. I don't eat spicy food but I want to get more flavour into my creations? Garlic and pepper are cool, but I call a Korma a 'proper curry'...

Wish I'd seen this thread before!

When I moved in with the missus 5 years ago we bought a slow cooker. Just because everybody kept going on about them. 5 years later we still hadn't touched it..... Until 2 weeks ago

omg. Why did it take 5 years? I can't cook to save my life but with this bad boy I can create almost anything. If anybody hasn't got a slow cooker but has heard the hype then get one. Frickin awesome!

LadyRam, you seem to know your shizzle. I don't eat spicy food but I want to get more flavour into my creations? Garlic and pepper are cool, but I call a Korma a 'proper curry'...

There's allsorts you can use for flavour, mainly salt, herbs, spices, just use stuff that compliments the main ingredient.

Pasta has more flavour if the water is seasoned before you put it in the pan, same way mince is best seasoned before cooking.

And no microwaves!!

• 1 month later...

Archived