When Will This End?

Jayram

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there was quite a statement of intent by the board and Clough before this season, which basically was that we intend to invest in the squad and make a serious challenge for the top 6.

To be fair some investment was forthcoming - just look at the number of players who came in, one or two like Shackell for example for decent sums. But how wisely the money was used is another matter - so far, Maguire and Tyson look like a waste of money that could have been better spent on an out and out striker with a decent injury record and a decent left-back to challenge/replace Roberts.

That said, a squad that includes Fielding, Brayford, Barker, Shackell, Bryson, Green, Bailey, Steve Davies, Ward and Cywka plus some promising youngsters like Hendrick, O'Brien and (never thought I'd say this) Theo should be capable of finishing in the Top 10 of what's a pretty mediocre division. But I don't think it will happen under this manager.

Nigel has had the backing and at this stage is failing to deliver. He struggles to manage certain players within his squad, seems to have little clear strategy in terms of tactics/team selections and makes curious decisions like playing schoolboys rather than experienced if limited performers who are sitting idle/out on loan.

We need a change if we are to progress.

I think in tonight might be the turning point for a lot of Rams fans. Even some of Clough's backers have started to lose the faith as it becomes clear that he hasn't got a clue what he's doing. I can't see us winning any in December - horrendous.

Clough's managerial 'style' is pretty much the same as Jewell's, poor motivation, strange selections, bad decisions, bad demeanour, as someone said earlier in the week he's a deeply uninspiring manager.

The only difference between him and Jewell as far as I can see is that Jewell signed 30% reasonable players and 70% ****, while Clough has signed 70% reasonable and 30% ****.

It's those reasonable signings that lifted the squad at the start of the season and temporarily lifted us out of the doldrums. Unfortunately, becaause of the lack of leadership, as one or two player's performances have dropped it's brought the whole squad down into a slump.

If Clough was assistant manager to someone who could motivate and get the squad performing to it's capabilities then we would be in business. Depressing as it is though, it's not going to happen here.

The board made a mistake giving Clough a new contract after just a month or so of good results. They could have waited until after Christmas when we would have had a more realistic picture of the team's true ability. In fact, it's since the new contract that we seem to have started going backwards!

In all seriousness though, we've flirted with trouble in every season Clough's been in charge and sooner or later there won't be three worse teams to keep us up. Maybe it will take League One to convince the owners that their loyal, happy to manage on the cheap stooge isn't the man for this particular job.

He's been given a fair crack of the whip now.

We started the season play poor yet scraping by and people like EKR, Alpha, Curb, Northernam, Dangerous, myself and others got slated for sharing this opinion.. Just because a team wins doesn't automatically mean that is the only part of fooball we should concentrate on, everygame is not a cup final where it's only the result that is important.. Performances indicate what sort of team you are and what potential the team has..

Under Clough this seson we've seen a few splurts of decent-ish football, the majority average and then also a good chunk of diabolical/hideous football.. Did it really take us to lose 5 on the trot before the warning signs crept in?

It's not just the results, our performances are exactly the same as they were when we beat Brum and Watford 2-1 and 0-1. The only difference now is we're not getting the rub of the green

We have no vision under this management.. We're slowly dying a painful death.

I think cloughs team, (and by that i dont mean the shower of an Xi he has put out at any time over the last 3 years.)

I mean the crosby, taylor garners.

needs to go.

What ever haoppened to the director of football, or indeed anyone with a different voice was put in to work along side him.

It doesnt matter who clough puts in for interview, they all say exactly the same thing, and they are all as dillusioned as each other.

Archived