The Worse Performance To Ever Win A Game?

EastKentRam

I really cannot believe this thread, seriously we win a game sit 3rd in the table and people aren't happy?

I know it's natural for Derby fans to look at the negatives but we've got the joint top goalscorer in the league amongst our ranks and to add we have got the joint best defence in the league. :rolleyes:

in all seriousness we've played a relegated premiership side at home, ground out a win and we've played a competent championship side away and ground out a win, we couldn't do this to save our lives last season and we finished in 19th, we are now sitting 3rd(joint top) and we've done it, I know we haven't played amazing football in the first couple of games but as any championship side, really? the fact we are getting wins and the players are still looking to improve and work hard can only be a good thing, but obviously fans of this football club won't allow this, and if we don't lose then we will just have to moan at us winning.

We have done what was needed to win the games, and that's that. I remember last season where our attacking football cost us a lot of points, it's not always the best policy, getting caught with men forward and losing games in the last minute, like QPR, Portsmouth, Burnley..etc

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have done what was needed to win the games, and that's that. I remember last season where our attacking football cost us a lot of points, it's not always the best policy, getting caught with men forward and losing games in the last minute, like QPR, Portsmouth, Burnley..etc

Against Burnley and Pompey we played survival football, got completely dominated and got exactly what we deserved.. (0 wins)

QPR you may have a point, at 91 minutes you'd expect a team to just keep possession rather than look for a 3rd.

Our attacking football won us a hell of a lot more points than our survival football.. We were top half entering Jan 2011, despite losing 5 on the bounce..

Since then our survival football wielded about 5 wins from the next 23

But we're going off topic.. I have every right to be unhappy with the performance, why can't I be? Doesn't make me a moaner and a wristslasher for criticising what was a very poor display.

According to few people, including a rival fan, we were poor for the first half but more worthy in the second.

For an away game with a makeshift team in places, that's not too shabby. Remember that this team will have been going for it as it's their first home game back and their new managers first home game, plus several home debuts.

You can be unhappy, but I don't see why really. We've won while not playing great. Managers are usually more pleased with those wins than the ones where you dominate the game.

Just for those interested a few Watford fans weren't particularly impressed with us.. Could be sour grapes though.

1.Awful tactics, but has got them the 3 points.

2.Overall Derby were lucky to win and had things gone our way, we could've won by 2-3 goals.

3.Derby were awful first half and that litte **** upfront whoever he was, is cr4p.

4.Overall though, this is a story of an incredibly lucky Derby team, who never attacked, never threatened and somehow won the game. Before their goal I don't remember them even having a shot, they had come to try and scrape a point! Ultimate negative gameplan from Clough. God help them for the rest of the season if that is their gameplan, they won't score another goal! They could be playing until next week and not score another goal, they were woeful. It is literally incredible that they scored a goal, they really did use about a month's worth of luck with Davies hitting an absolute stunner.

5.Derby reminded me of a modern day Gillingham, aggresive, ugly and look to kick/cheat their way to a result.

6.Derby for their part where awful in the first half and except the goal where non descript at best in the second

7.The defence looked good today which is a positive although that MIGHT be because Derby were so poor attack wise

8.Thank god I don't have to watch Derby every week. I suppose you could say they defended well, and the goal was good, but with 9 men in the box for most of the match, and all trying to win Oscars whenever they went down, it must be dire to support. Not too worried by this we'll play worse and win.

Just for those interested a few Watford fans weren't particularly impressed with us.. Could be sour grapes though.

1.Awful tactics, but has got them the 3 points.

2.Overall Derby were lucky to win and had things gone our way, we could've won by 2-3 goals.

3.Derby were awful first half and that litte **** upfront whoever he was, is cr4p.

4.Overall though, this is a story of an incredibly lucky Derby team, who never attacked, never threatened and somehow won the game. Before their goal I don't remember them even having a shot, they had come to try and scrape a point! Ultimate negative gameplan from Clough. God help them for the rest of the season if that is their gameplan, they won't score another goal! They could be playing until next week and not score another goal, they were woeful. It is literally incredible that they scored a goal, they really did use about a month's worth of luck with Davies hitting an absolute stunner.

5.Derby reminded me of a modern day Gillingham, aggresive, ugly and look to kick/cheat their way to a result.

6.Derby for their part where awful in the first half and except the goal where non descript at best in the second

7.The defence looked good today which is a positive although that MIGHT be because Derby were so poor attack wise

8.Thank god I don't have to watch Derby every week. I suppose you could say they defended well, and the goal was good, but with 9 men in the box for most of the match, and all trying to win Oscars whenever they went down, it must be dire to support. Not too worried by this we'll play worse and win.

Just enjoy the win Bris, we don't have that many! Whatever the watford fans think or not, we have come away with 3 points and that is what the aim was and it's not like Clough has come out and said we played well, he was also a critic of the teams performance today.

We didn't play well, second half we were better, but we still won.

They had a fair few chances, but took none of them. We took the chance we had.

It's a smash and grab raid, and some of those quotes sound a little bitter rather than anything. There is a Watford fan who has commented here saying that after our goal we looked pretty comfortable.

What's your point? Let it go for ****'s sake. We aren't going to play free-flowing football every week, or indeed most weeks, we're going to try and win games. We've just had a very useful away victory, be pleased and go do something else.

Continously moaning about a poor performance that contained a victory is just making people dislike you.

Alternatively;

1. We have a defence that largely restricted them to shots from distance.

2. The few times they got through we had a keeper capable of making saves.

3. We have an attack that only needs the odd chance to score.

Contrasting with Watford who;

1. Had 18 efforts at goal without scoring.

2. Conceded a goal from just 3 shots on target.

Watford will struggle this season, and it's small wonder that they're one of the favourites to go down, along with Coventry.

Bris...do you enjoy supporting Derby? I mean, Young Ram spouts some craap at times but he still seems to enjoy being a Rams fan. You do not seem too and I wonder if it is perhaps some form of self mutilation. :(

Everyone's entitled to their own view, and it's childish to question one's enjoyment of the rams. His view is that if we carry on performing like we have done in the first three games, then we'll get hammered this season.

I agree with that. I also temper it with the optimistic hope that these results will breed confidence and that we will click.

But overall with Cloughs track record at Derby, I am quietly worried.

Those of us with hopes of doing well this season.

How much better can 6 points out of 6 be???

Ask ANY Arsenal fan uf they would swap the prettyfootball of the last few years for the George Graham WINNING football.

Or one of the Geordie Nation, ask them how good it felt as the Messiah messed up their title chances...

Its all about winning. Nothing else matters.

It seems you can't have constructive criticism on here. We are all happy as larry that we have won both games and all hope we can carry it on, but there is nothing wrong at pointing out areas we can improve, we weren't very good yesterday and if I'm being honest we are looking more and more like billys side, it's just took 3 years to get to this stage. Hopefully with a couple of additions and as confidence grows so will the play

You can't really judge anything on the team at the moment, with so many players or injured. Add a Barker, Tyson, Green etc to the team, and get Bailey, Bryson, Shackell etc fully fit and then we'll see. I'll quite happilly take playing badly and picking up points for now, with the squad in the state it's in.

One good thing is that we appear to have addressed the conceding late goals issue and that will make a massive difference if we can keep it up.

It seems like many have been blinded by the final score.

When we come up against opposition that can actually hit a barn door and have a bit of motivation, League 2 Shrewsbury for example, we will be in trouble when we play like that. Anyone who denies that is a fool.

It is fantastic that we can play poorly and win, now we need to prove we can play well and win too, or we will end up in a similar position to last season eventually, rather than the top half finish (if not top 6), we should really be aiming for

I've got a PC problem. My clock/calendar says it's the 14th of August, but it must be wrong with the amount of people saying that we're going to struggle this season. It can't be right - it must be at least December before we start calling that one?

I mean, if the clock's right, we've only played 2 games; and to make a decision based on that seems premature - so what date is it?

If it is still mid August, doesn't that mean the transfer window is still open and anything might still happen?

Fooking hell, are we still going on about this?

Can we not just agree that some of us are happy that we go the 6 points, and others are concerned that there's still massive room for improvement?

FFS, if you're right and we are in for a rough time then there'll surely be enough time to concentrate on the negatives when we start losing loads of games. Even more reason to enjoy the wins while we can.

Archived