Theo Robinson - Millwall

Srg

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The last time we got promoted we had seth, oakley and david jones who are a different level to what we have on our books now in centre midfield. Green and addison are ok if you want work horses and play direct football but if we are going to try and play through midfield we need better. This group have been around the squad for 3 seasons and have not been good enough for me.

I know this isn't a thread about Addison BUT I know emj will never agree but I think under Jewell he played well in CM with Green and think he will be a really good partner for Bailly he aint ever going to be spraying 40 yard pass's or through balls for strikers to run onto but he breaks up play well and and is good at short simole pass's, so I would really like to see 4-2-3-1 next season with Addison and Bailly as the holding two.

The trouble is Mary is that he does struggle with 4 yard passes. I really hop NC is not looking at Addison for our midfield next season and beyond.

I haven't followed this thread, so just going off the subject.

I'll be really worried if we go for Theo Robinson in the Summer - I'm not sure I've seen a more ineffective footballer in recent years at Pride Park.

I don't care that he scored (a tap in) at Sheff Utd, he also missed a one on one towards the end of the game and another gilt edged chanced against Swansea. He can't win headers, his first touch is like that of a child who hasn't played football before, and I hate the fact he runs around aimlessly to convince supporters that he's trying hard. Clough obviously sees him as a pacey outlet upfront to catch the opposition on the break, but he's not even that fast. I'd rather see the counter attacks coming from the flanks than through the middle with him.

I don't normally criticise Clough for tactical decisions but I just can't get my head around Robinson. I see him as an emergency loan and no more. Callum Ball, after playing so well for the reserves, must be left wondering what he has to do to get a run out. I think I'd rather see Michael Boulding come on.

Didn't he just come back from injury before coming here? add to that he's young, inexperienced at this level, comes into a team that looks low in confidence, out of form and battling for survival and now coming off the bench for the last 10/20 minutes of games.

The lads going to need time to settle in, the same as Ben Davies.

Didn't he just come back from injury before coming here? add to that he's young, inexperienced at this level, comes into a team that looks low in confidence, out of form and battling for survival and now coming off the bench for the last 10/20 minutes of games.

The lads going to need time to settle in, the same as Ben Davies.

Some fair points, but you can usually tell if someone is up to it. Ben Davies hasn't played well but you can see he has a decent touch - Robinson looks like a park player.

I'd love to be proved wrong, but I just can't see him becoming a proven Championship goalscorer.

Same here. Don't see where he's going to develop? I'm no football manager but most of us have seen enough proffesional football to spot potential. And for me the most use Robinson will be is to bring on to close down defenders and chase late clearances late on.

Like Asanovic said, B Davies hasn't really shone..... but the odd touch here, the odd run there, his movement and the way he reads the game looks promising. He might still not be good enough but the ingredients are there.

I really hope your right Daveo, and that injury and lack of game time has just taken away his sharpness and confidence.

Theo Robinson strikes me as a player when things are going well, they go really well and when things are going bad, they go bad.

He misses a lot of sitters, but I would also argue that he gets them chances and puts himself in them positions, if he hit the back of the net and just had a bit more composure infront of goal he would be dangerous.

sort of like a DJ Campbell type player, well infact he is a very like for like player.

• 2 weeks later...

We need to give players time. Ben Davies needs time and Theo Robinson needs time.

Robinson is only 22 which a lot of people will forget, that is the same age as Bailey, Cywka and Addison. People see them as players for the future and it is the same with Robinson he just seems like he has been around ages as he has had a lot of game time for his age.

Theo may not be the most gifted but he will score goals, and he is very very quick.

The trouble is Mary is that he does struggle with 4 yard passes. I really hop NC is not looking at Addison for our midfield next season and beyond.

Can I just say agree with you. We talk about Ayala coming back I would like to see Addison have a good summer preseason getting ready to play centre half with Barker. We would then have Barker Addison Anderson and Buxton (back up) and for me this would surely be one of the strongest centre half group in the championship. Then there is St Ledger on a free. Billy Jones on the left or Delaney from Ipswich on frees with Brayford on the right and Fielding in goal. We talk about build from the back and this would give us a solid base for a total cost of £500k for Fielding as St Ledger, Jones, Delaney are all free and the centre halves are here. We off set the cost of Fielding with the sale of Bywater.

Midfield David Jones back in the middle with Bailey yet another free. Steven Davies on the left wing which is for me his best position, Right wing is Cywka forging partnership with Brayford as in the good run. That is the midfield for free sorted.

Up front Glenn Murray on a free, Le Fondre for £750, Nugent on a free, Ward for £400k, Paul Hayes the forgotten man at Preston signed for free for them last summer if go down they will look to offload as they nare skint and League one will not be helpfull in their position so around £500k. Total for complete new striker force approx £1.5million which will prob be on installments. However the sale of Leacock should get us £500k back.

Therefore for me the investment will be in wages and we could have a championship level squad with players here to be as backup to the first team of as follows on approx £1million in purchases

Fielding

(RB) Brayford/Jones,(CB)Barker/Addison/Anderson/St Ledger,(LB)Delaney/Jones

First choice Midfield of

S. Davies, D. Jones, Bailey, Cywka

Strikers of

Nugent/Hayes/Le Fondre/Glen Murray/Ward

Bench

Doyle, B.Davies, S.Pearson, Roberts(if here), Green (when fit no need to be rushed), which ever defender not starting and any strikers not starting.

This for me would be challenging to 6 next season (or should be at least). The investment is in wages and not in transfers.

Can I just say agree with you. We talk about Ayala coming back I would like to see Addison have a good summer preseason getting ready to play centre half with Barker. We would then have Barker Addison Anderson and Buxton (back up) and for me this would surely be one of the strongest centre half group in the championship. Then there is St Ledger on a free. Billy Jones on the left or Delaney from Ipswich on frees with Brayford on the right and Fielding in goal. We talk about build from the back and this would give us a solid base for a total cost of £500k for Fielding as St Ledger, Jones, Delaney are all free and the centre halves are here. We off set the cost of Fielding with the sale of Bywater.

Midfield David Jones back in the middle with Bailey yet another free. Steven Davies on the left wing which is for me his best position, Right wing is Cywka forging partnership with Brayford as in the good run. That is the midfield for free sorted.

Up front Glenn Murray on a free, Le Fondre for £750, Nugent on a free, Ward for £400k, Paul Hayes the forgotten man at Preston signed for free for them last summer if go down they will look to offload as they nare skint and League one will not be helpfull in their position so around £500k. Total for complete new striker force approx £1.5million which will prob be on installments. However the sale of Leacock should get us £500k back.

Therefore for me the investment will be in wages and we could have a championship level squad with players here to be as backup to the first team of as follows on approx £1million in purchases

Fielding

First choice Midfield of

Strikers of

Bench

Doyle, B.Davies, S.Pearson, Roberts(if here), Green (when fit no need to be rushed), which ever defender not starting and any strikers not starting.

This for me would be challenging to 6 next season (or should be at least). The investment is in wages and not in transfers.

This is hopefully the kind of road we are going down. If not.........then we will simply be throwing money away.

However, As much as I like the way you have gone about this and put together a team etc.....I still feel this wouldn't be a strong enough team to get us top 6.

Sure, The championship is arguably the most exciting league around considering the competitiveness and the uncertainty of who will get into the play-offs. But for me the side is still not top 6.

I don't really expect to be top 6 next season mind. Top 10 will be nice for me, just as long as we have players here that can grow (Cywka etc) and get better with age. As we obviously don't expect another season after this where we 'invest'.

But a good post none the less......and a certain eye opener into what we can 'expectedly' achieve. I certainly couldn't put together a better team on just a £1m investment and other deals done on recouped cash.

This is hopefully the kind of road we are going down. If not.........then we will simply be throwing money away.

However, As much as I like the way you have gone about this and put together a team etc.....I still feel this wouldn't be a strong enough team to get us top 6.

Sure, The championship is arguably the most exciting league around considering the competitiveness and the uncertainty of who will get into the play-offs. But for me the side is still not top 6.

I don't really expect to be top 6 next season mind. Top 10 will be nice for me, just as long as we have players here that can grow (Cywka etc) and get better with age. As we obviously don't expect another season after this where we 'invest'.

But a good post none the less......and a certain eye opener into what we can 'expectedly' achieve. I certainly couldn't put together a better team on just a £1m investment and other deals done on recouped cash.

Cheers, the other positive with this is there are 7 champ experience players who are not over thirty and will have a few years of good football with us. I think challenging top 6 come Xmas period and if so then the January window is important to keep the team going. In respect of this team if the club look at loan players you would have to look at players of a lot higher quality then we have done up to now as these would always be first choice players above what we have had par a couple.

Cheers, the other positive with this is there are 7 champ experience players who are not over thirty and will have a few years of good football with us. I think challenging top 6 come Xmas period and if so then the January window is important to keep the team going. In respect of this team if the club look at loan players you would have to look at players of a lot higher quality then we have done up to now as these would always be first choice players above what we have had par a couple.

Yeah forgot about that aspect. Crazy......I'm a Derby fan and I forgot all about the loan market!! lol.

For me (personally) I would like to see if we could loan some midfield players perhaps. Wide men specifically. I really like Cywka and hope he can continue to grow into the player I think he can be. But there is a lil lack of decent wide men. Sure B.Davies can play wide, but I think he lacks the pace and ability to take players on. Ward can play wide right too. But I'd still like to see a bit of 'premiership' class in there.

Who/What positions would you be looking to acquire through the loan market??

Yeah forgot about that aspect. Crazy......I'm a Derby fan and I forgot all about the loan market!! lol.

For me (personally) I would like to see if we could loan some midfield players perhaps. Wide men specifically. I really like Cywka and hope he can continue to grow into the player I think he can be. But there is a lil lack of decent wide men. Sure B.Davies can play wide, but I think he lacks the pace and ability to take players on. Ward can play wide right too. But I'd still like to see a bit of 'premiership' class in there.

Who/What positions would you be looking to acquire through the loan market??

If we could get the above team/squad for me it would and I again agree on you this one two out and out wingers and another centre midfielder on half loan at least to cover for green. Ambrose would be one but would look at buying him for £1million. Loan Tonge with a view to sign on free at end of season or buy in Jan if that is part of loan deal.

Fielding

First choice Midfield of

Strikers of

Bench

To me - that would struggle for 12th position.

Near the end of every season people start trying to guess the transfers and no one ever gets close. To much playing of football manager and using a few poor links we have had to players.

Very true............But it's also to get a 'rough idea' of the caliber of the squad. It's also nice to see other fans views on who we should sign. Get debating about what players we prefer etc.

I'm with you on the fact that not a single person on here will be 'spot on' with their team selection, but there's no harm in trying.

............Now, Back to Football Manager :p:D

Archived