Theo Robinson - Millwall

Srg

If he hasnt mastered out to control a football on a consistent basis by now he never will, he just hasnt got the ability.

Football isn't just about talent. I have seen really gifted players who had the ability to make it to the top but lacked the desire. Equally, I have seen players who you would think would struggle to get into a pub team make a very good living out of football.

I trust Nigel Clough on this one. There is a chance that he will not make it at Derby but obviously someone has seen something they like.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bit ironic as he had scored the goal and created the chance out of nothing.

Bit ironic? Not really.

He just had to run against Sheff Utd, there was no one else to tackle him. He he used the one thing he has, a bit of (not loads of) pace, and then, obviously, fluffed his lines.

Against Swansea he just had to score. He did nothing to create the chance, he just had to put it in. But again, obviously, he didn't.

Bit ironic we have a striker that has missed more sitters than has scored goals.

I agree with a previous post, let's get a young lad from the youth team if we're just looking for a body to run around. Why waste money we've been working so hard to save!

Football isn't just about talent. I have seen really gifted players who had the ability to make it to the top but lacked the desire. Equally, I have seen players who you would think would struggle to get into a pub team make a very good living out of football.

I trust Nigel Clough on this one. There is a chance that he will not make it at Derby but obviously someone has seen something they like.

I agree, although not about trusting Nigel. If he scores goals for us ill admit i was wrong, but i'd put money on him not.

People are missing the obvious with this lad, I feel.

I've said it in another thread, and I'll say it again.

It doesn't matter how crap Robinson plays, he's always an asset to the team. Coventry and Leeds looked rocky whenever Robinson had the ball (as did Robinson himself, actually) and he troubled QPR with a decent run. Defences at this level are terrified of strikers with pace.

While teams are distracted by trying to keep an already crap player quiet it will give space for Steve Davies and Jamie Ward to actually do something with the ball.

Theo has some history with this club. He was spotted at Pride Park at a trial day for talented young players who had been let go by their Academies by Watford scouts after he was let go by another club.

He

Although he is still only on loan. It looks likely this is one move that will become permanent. He has featured in most of the last 10 games.

Although he has lots to learn, Theo has time on his side as he has only just become 22.

He has loads of pace and at this level, it helps to have some of that!

As a youngster, he is still learning the trade and one for developement, but he is making an impact already. Like some people have said, when he runs at pace, he causes panic in opposition defences. He has scored goals at all the levels he has played at and while he will miss plenty more than he scores, which will be annoying, he could turn into a potent finisher in time, because he is so fast. Confidence is key with strikers

and when he adapts to this level, he could bag a hatful in this division.

Theo has some history with this club. He was spotted at Pride Park at a trial day for talented young players who had been let go by their Academies by Watford scouts after he was let go by another club.

He

Although he is still only on loan. It looks likely this is one move that will become permanent. He has featured in most of the last 10 games.

Although he has lots to learn, Theo has time on his side as he has only just become 22.

As a youngster, he is still learning the trade and one for developement, but he is making an impact already. Like some people have said, when he runs at pace, he causes panic in opposition defences. He has scored goals at all the levels he has played at and while he will miss plenty more than he scores, which will be annoying, he could turn into a potent finisher in time, because he is so fast. Confidence is key with strikers

My thoughts exactly, when confidence is high.. he will be a machine and difficult to deal with.. when confidence is poor, he'll cause panic but he just won't hit the onion bag, think he needs a scrappy goals just to get him into the swing of things.

He

Agreed with all of that.

All he needs to learn now is how to kick a football and then he's made at this level.

Bit harsh there bunny. I like him for some reason and convinced he will come good. He scored a gimme the other day so letss see what he can do with confidence. Lets sign him, get him a pre-season under his belt and see what he can do. Playing against some of the lower league teams in friendlies might get his confidence up

• 2 weeks later...

Is the Theo Robinson Deal Still On?

DET today-

Clough is ready to swoop in quest for players

Friday, May 06, 2011, 07:30

DERBY County aim to move quickly to land a number of their targets once the transfer window opens this month.

Nigel Clough has said there could be a steady stream of new signings in the next few weeks – possibly six.

The Rams manager wants up to eight new faces this summer and he has reiterated that the majority of them will be from Championship clubs.

The silly season of speculation has started and Clough has already laughed off reports that Derby are to move for Manchester United striker Michael Owen.

"Are our targets going to be 'names'? They will be Championship 'names', that is where they will come from," said Clough.

"We have done our work in the lower leagues in the last couple of seasons and bought what we thought was some potential but as we have stated now for the last few months, it is going to be established Championship players coming in now."

Goalkeeper Frank Fielding of Blackburn Rovers and forward Jamie Ward, on loan from Sheffield United, are set to sign.

Derby are also likely to announce they have agreed a deal for striker Theo Robinson, who is currently on loan from Millwall.

The Rams have been linked with Leicester striker Martyn Waghorn, who they chased in January, and Nottingham Forest's Nathan Tyson.

Derby will also look to offload players this summer but Clough insists any outgoings will not delay the incomings.

"We are not going to wait, we are going to get the players in," said Clough.

"We would like to try and leave a little bit of room as well because one or two we are chasing are not going to be straight forward, they are not going to be in the next week or two. It might take the course of the summer to land them, similar to Shaun Barker when he signed.

"But we can still get half a dozen players in, we hope, in the next few weeks.

"There will be a steady stream.

"We are trying to tie up Frank Fielding and Jamie Ward,maybe Theo Robinson as well. The others will kick in after that.

"We are going full steam ahead to get the players in."

Skipper Robbie Savage retires after Saturday's final game of the season at Reading. The 36-year-old midfielder believes the club needs to spend up to £10m on the team.

"Is that out of his pocket?" Clough joked.

"That is a little bit too high but what he is saying in principle is that he has been here now two or three years, he has recognised what has gone on and also what we need now to take it forward."

Price tags of around £2.5m have been placed on Championship strikers Danny Graham of Watford and Doncaster's Billy Sharp, according to reports, and £3m on Peterborough hot-shot Craig Mackail-Smith.

Asked if Derby are in the market for players valued from £2m to £3m, Clough said: "We could be, it depends on how many players we want to bring in.

"There is a certain budget there and it will depend on how much we raise as well for the players that are outgoing."

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Reading this, and remembering something Nigel said (can't remember exactly what) on the radio the other day, I wonder if he is going cold on the Robinson deal. Perrhaps he doesn't want to pay the full asking price or maybe wants another loan deal ( to buy time so he can buy a smaller barn door for Theo to practice on?)

It could be possible that he is playing with the fans a little. He knows what the fans think of the three loans in question so he has told us that the two we really want are coming and then he is showing himself to agree that the jury is still out on Theo though I don't think it is. If he didn't want him then he wouldn't keep playing him and bringing him off the bench ( thunk Croft, leacock and Porter)

It could be possible that he is playing with the fans a little. He knows what the fans think of the three loans in question so he has told us that the two we really want are coming and then he is showing himself to agree that the jury is still out on Theo though I don't think it is. If he didn't want him then he wouldn't keep playing him and bringing him off the bench ( thunk Croft, leacock and Porter)

That sounds about right to me. Good post.

Who would you drop out of Barker and Ayala at centre half?

Porter is injury prone or ust plained injury why drop Steve Davies?

Croft, thinks of waistine, no one rated him last year and our of the players who have played there including Green, Cywka, Ward, Ben Davies, Bueno who would you drop for him?

Theo comes on because his pace will get past defenders, when he controls it he gets good shots off. Consider him though to Jamie Ward he has not landed as quick as he has and if I had to choose between the two it would be Wardy every day. In respect of the Robinson if he comes he wil be a squad player

Archived