Asia recommendations?

Looks like we might be going to Asia at xmas to meet my eldest who has been away travelling for a year.

No firm plans as to where we meet up, but as the only bit of Asia I have seen is the other side of the Bosphorus in Istanbul, I thought I'd canvass for opinions

Thailand seems the obvious candidate, but I've heard it's just stupidly touristy these days, and it's not somewhere I ever fancied in the past

Any better ideas?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Popular Days

12 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Looks like we might be going to Asia at xmas to meet my eldest who has been away travelling for a year.

No firm plans as to where we meet up, but as the only bit of Asia I have seen is the other side of the Bosphorus in Istanbul, I thought I'd canvass for opinions

Thailand seems the obvious candidate, but I've heard it's just stupidly touristy these days, and it's not somewhere I ever fancied in the past

Any better ideas?

Vietnam

35 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

I quite fancy Vietnam, but I think he may have already done Vietnam by the time we get there. 

Really fancy Japan, but I'm assuming it will be way more expensive than Vietnam/Laos/Thailand/Cambodia?

It'll be more expensive than those for sure, but you can eat pretty cheaply there because there are so many "fast" food joints (not the unhealthy western type) covering most types of Japanese cooking and the transport system is brilliant. Accomodation can be expensive, but if you avoid westernised hotels it's not bad. Best place I've ever been though (to date).

2 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Any better ideas?

“Asia” is a big place. Doesn’t it depend on where your eldest is likely to be around at that time?

I got married in Thailand and have been back twice. Stupidly cheap once you are there, lovely people and the most amazing hotels. 

Have travelled through Vietnam south to north which was an great adventure. 

Sri Lanka, Hong Kong and India fantastic too. 

In my opinion, Asia is the best continent for travel.  

Edited by admira

2 minutes ago, Magicman said:

India is amazing but tough as its over crowded but so many rich foods and history to absorb. 

And some your stomach doesn’t absorb properly if you’re not careful