Vs Middlesbrough (H) Match Thread

DCFC1388

12 hours ago, jono said:

No, any team can’t do it. Leeds tried for a start. We didn’t win because they “failed with the final ball.”
We won for 2 reasons.

1) They made a fatal mistake which we pounced on.
2) we stopped them by tactically defending as a well drilled unit rather than be gung ho.  Yes we have some quality but tactically we recognised they had some very slick players that would have taken us to the cleaners if we had gone toe to toe with them. So we devised a plan to control them - which worked. 

You can’t beat a dragon if you march in to its den with a sword shouting at it,  you’ll get burned. You distract it, bang your shields, confuse it, trip it up. Mohamed Ali won his title back doing just that. Soaked up the punishment. Yes we are in the same league but we have just been promoted and are rebuilding the spine of our team. Boro are an established high rank side in this league with superior resources. 

No, Leeds were not attempting a low block when then lost the Boro. They had 56% possession. 

Hoping an opponent hits a short back pass is not a legitimate tactic. 

There are many different ways you can play a football game. It doesn't have to either park the bus or gung-ho. Why are you assuming that would be the alternate way to how we played? 

If you can't see we were lucky to win that game then we'll just have to disagree. 

I'd like to know how you thought Warne planned to score that game through our own endeavour not through their mistakes.

Edited by DCFC Kicks

8 hours ago, MadAmster said:

How often have we been the one with massive possession down the years? It not only can, but does, happen in football. QPR at Wembley springs to mind. The other way round for WBA at Wembley.

Another example from last weekend. Ajax away to newly promoted NAC Breda.

Possession NAC 25% Ajax 75%

Shots were 6 - 16

Shots on target 3 - 5

Corners 1 - 8

Ajax simply couldn't find enough ways to break down what was a very well martialled defensive performance by NAC who scored twice on the counter.

The day before, we got a breakaway and then, for the most part, defended stoutly and reduced them to, in the main, long range pot shots.

I fully expect that we will see that sort of display again this season against the top half a dozen clubs unless the quick CH, the CM and the Striker we are supposed to be after prove to be top notch.

My point is - if a team has all the ball the game is ultimately theirs to lose. e.g. QPR Wembley. It was WBAs game to lose in the other Wembley game.

As you say: "Ajax couldn't find enough ways to break through". It was on them to do it. NAC were relying on them not doing it.

1 hour ago, DCFC Kicks said:

As I said previously, the team with the ball ultimately decides what happens to it. There's only so much control you can have on a game when you let the opposition have all the ball. That's why I think it was on Boro to do something with the ball. Their inability to find the final pass it what won us the game. I've already said we defended well and were organised. All we did was a simple low block. It wasn't anything detailed. We did it well. 

You seriously underestimate the fact the team without the ball ultimately decides what can or can’t happen with the ball and we did that very well

8 hours ago, MadAmster said:

Another example from last weekend. Ajax away to newly promoted NAC Breda.

Possession NAC 25% Ajax 75%

Shots were 6 - 16

Shots on target 3 - 5

Corners 1 - 8

and which one of the 2 styles do you think is likely to bring more success?

Awwww man please can we stop it?! We get it @DCFC Kicks and @Chris_Martin, we really do, you don’t rate Warne in the slightest and don’t want to give him credit in anyway for securing 3 points on Saturday. We hear you, as far as you’re concerned it was down to nothing but luck and that’s it.

Fine, that’s your opinion and you’re entitled to it. And everyone who thinks there is some credit due to Warne is entitled to their opinions. No one appears to be changing their mindset to that of the other, call it a difference of opinion and move on…. Pretty please?! 🙏 

1 hour ago, DCFC Kicks said:

Basics should be a given. Why are we starting a season already going back to basics? What was all of preseason for?

Thought you said football had moved far beyond basics these days 🤷🏻‍♂️, all of pre season ? Fitness and against teams far below the level we are playing in , it’s a bit like the old Mike Tyson quote that everyone has a plan until they are punched in the face , you can practice taking penalty s all day but it does not replicate the real thing ,

we have new players playing together so makes sense to me to get them doing the basics well in real matches first and foremost, anyway as we know you see things very differently, im happy with where we are for what we have 🤷🏻‍♂️

58 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

They had the ball for vast amounts of time withing 25 yards of our goal. We were lucky in the sense that it was on Boro to find the final pass, and they didn't. The game was in their hands because they had the ball. We were just hoping they couldn't find the end ball. We were lucky that they couldn't.

Yep,I would be proper worried if I was them 

39 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

also fortunate they gave us a goal too as we didnt really appear to have any way of creating one ourselves.

Ah that Jackson fella who latched on to the ball , ran the length of the pitch at warp speed , rounded the keeper and clinically slotted the ball in the net was a boro player in the wrong colour shirt ,,, now I see where your coming from😂😂😂😂

35 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

is that a serious question?

it was a well taken goal by kayden, but in reality we as a team did nothing to create it

So a great individual goal by a derby player ? Wonder how many games by many clubs will be won or lost with that scenario 

28 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

No they don't. Tell me how a team without the ball can score a goal.

Thought you watched the game 😂, it’s been a tactic by a lot of teams and managers for quite some time to allow the opposition the lions share of the ball and can be very successful