Realistic expectations for this season.

32 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

After the powerful emotions of the past few years, it seems amazing that we are returning to the promised land of the  championship with such negativity.

It’s a journey folks! It will be bumpy along the way but enjoy the ride 😊

I think for a lot of people, and football fans in general, there is a sense of it feeling better to fear the worse and to be pleasantly surprised/relieved if those fears do not materialise, than to have high expectations only to be disappointed. 

9 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I think for a lot of people, and football fans in general, there is a sense of it feeling better to fear the worse and to be pleasantly surprised/relieved if those fears do not materialise, than to have high expectations only to be disappointed. 

I think you’re right but that doesn’t sound much fun 😊

9 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Generally agree with this & @IslandExile sentiments. The idea we should be content with 21st is depressing (even if many of us fear it) & I don't think is representative of what the club would accept. Whilst it certainly won't happen this season & possibly not next, the plan will be to have Derby competing at the top end of this division certainly by Year 3 but for that to happen, the foundations need to start being put in place asap - not simply a relentless focus on desperate short term survival. Warne can also forget about new contract talks until he demonstrates he is able to firmly establish the club back at this level.

Obviously others will have their own benchmark for what is acceptable or not but for me the benchmark is 55 points (and tracking throughout the season at or above that level). Why 55? Two reasons; firstly, no side has ever been relegated from the Championship with 55 points (54 the highest but generally 50 or lower for 22nd placed team) & in the majority of seasons, that would be enough for a placing above the bottom 6. Secondly, 55 points was the tally that Wayne Rooney's ragbag side earnt on the field in 2021-22 in some of the most difficult circumstances that any Derby manager has ever had to endure. Therefore for Warne to achieve less than 55 points (or to be on track to achieve less) considering the relative advantages he has in comparison would be unacceptable in my eyes & should see his position at risk. I should add that its only fair for Warne to get properly judged on this metric once the window has finished & he has had a few games with his finalised squad - i.e. from mid-October.

Anything above 55 points constitutes a solid season & something from which we can build in season 2. Anything above 60 points & Warne should get enormous credit. He sounded bullish in his Telegraph interview posted today, lets hope he backs it up with the results.

I think this is about right although I’ve seen a Derby team under nige finish 14th with 54 pts and one under Steve McC get 78pts and finish 8th. Depends what happens and how good the top 8-10 are vs the rest of the division as to how many points constitutes a good season. If we’re comfortably clear of relegation then that would constitute success in my eyes. If we finish 21st scrape staying up and the football is crap then the knives will be out for Warne and probably justifiably so.

This was always going to be the acid test for him, he’s the king of league 1 with 4 promotions and 3 of those without a top 6 budget, he’s never stayed up in the championship so obviously he is going to be scrutinised on this. But he has a much better chance than ever before but he also knows scraping survival wouldn’t be good enough in the eyes of the fans.

The clowns on the second tier podcast think he’ll be the first to be sacked, he has so much backing from Pearce and Clowes. The fact he wasn’t close to being sacked after Stevenage when a lot of fans including me wanted him gone at that point says to me he’ll be given the season, whatever happens even if that means going down. It will be interesting to see if they can keep their backing of him.

Personally I’m more optimistic, i liked some of what I heard from Pearce and Bobat on RD and the structure they are building within the club. I think Warne is the right person to work within that an environment as he strikes me as someone who is keen to push him himself learn new ideas and evolve his approach. 

20 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Nah, be more B4